Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Dan Stephens <Da...@hotmail.com> on 2003/10/15 16:28:41 UTC

[users@httpd] apache problem

    I was wondering if someone might be able to help me with a apache problem I've been having. I had quite a bit of trouble switching from 1.3.something to 2.0.4, but I finally did and changed my document root to the correct directory, but when i went to restart httpd it wouldn't restart due to the fact that execvp was no known file or directory.
     I'm kinda hoping that this is a fairly uncomplicated problem, as i am just the appointed IT guy for my small company. As a possibly related question, when I install a new version of apache, in a new directory different from where the only one was, do i need to change anything in the /etc/httpd/ or the /etc/xenitd.d files? Also, where would I put the execvp file if I had one?
    Thank you for any help you may be able to give,
    Dan

Re: [users@httpd] apache problem

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.
> > OS?  What did you type in to start apache?  What error messages (exact
> > copies please) were printed out?  What is in the error_log? << The error
> message reads:
> [root@mail root]# service httpd start
> starting httpd: execvp: No such file or directory
>                                                     [FAILED]
> I hope that helps >>

yeah, it does.  Sounds like the binary that the httpd startup script
executes no longer exists.  Check out /etc/init.d/httpd and edit it as
appropriate.

> > How did you upgrade from 1.3 to 2.0? << I got the tar.gz file from
apache
> i believe and installed, after unistalling 1.3 (although i should mention
> that my install wasn't totally successful b/c it told me a few components
> were still in use, even after stopping httpd). I then ran a % netstat -an
|
> grep LISTEN to make sure that it was listening to port 80, it was.>>

You'll need to kill old httpd processes before starting the new server.  If
you installed 1.3 by tarball, make && make install, you can do this with:

kill `pidof /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd`

from there, you can `rm -rf /usr/local/apache` and get rid of everything
else.  If you installed by rpm or some other packaging system, you may have
to install and then re-remove the package.

-Jacob

Re: [users@httpd] apache problem

Posted by Dan Stephens <Da...@hotmail.com>.

Posted by Jacob Coby <jc...@listingbook.com>.
OS?  What did you type in to start apache?  What error messages (exact
copies please) were printed out?  What is in the error_log?

How did you upgrade from 1.3 to 2.0?

execvp is a C-language function, not something you would typically see in a