Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Shannon Lloyd <sh...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/14 04:56:51 UTC

Javadoc errors in MetricName when building with Java 8

Is Java 8 supported for building Kafka? Or do you only support Java 7? I
just noticed that the latest code on the 0.8.2 branch fails on the javadoc
in the new MetricName class due to Java 8's javadoc tool being much
stricter when checking comments (especially around things like HTML tags).

For example:

kafka/clients/src/main/java/org/apache/kafka/common/MetricName.java:22:
error: self-closing element not allowed
 * <p/>
   ^
kafka/clients/src/main/java/org/apache/kafka/common/MetricName.java:39:
error: malformed HTML
 * Map<String, String> metricTags = new LinkedHashMap<String, String>();
      ^
kafka/clients/src/main/java/org/apache/kafka/common/MetricName.java:39:
error: bad use of '>'
 * Map<String, String> metricTags = new LinkedHashMap<String, String>();

I realise that you can avoid these errors via -Xdoclint, but it seems like
it would be preferable to fix up the javadoc instead.

Cheers,
Shannon

Re: Javadoc errors in MetricName when building with Java 8

Posted by Manikumar Reddy <ku...@nmsworks.co.in>.
Thanks for reporting this issue. We should be able to build on java 8. Will
correct the javadocs.