Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Cartoon Factory <ga...@cartoon-factory.com> on 2002/08/06 21:27:25 UTC

Mod_perl Enabled on only one VS

Hi:

I had a quick question....

I am running a web server with 7 Virtual Hosts on it. 6 do not need
mod_perl, but one does. By enabling mod_perl, the httpd process went from 7
meg to about 19 meg...

So, my question is... can I fix it so that only one vs has the mod_perl, and
the others don't, or do I have to run two different machines to do that? If
it IS possible to separate the two, is there a link to somewhere that shows
how to set up the httpd.conf to do this?

Thank You!
-------------------

Dave Koch
Gallery Director

             www.toon.com
     gallery@cartoon-factory.com
    801.583.3700 fax 801.583.3713

Re: Mod_perl Enabled on only one VS

Posted by Ken Miller <kl...@shetlandsoftware.com>.
In short, because Apache uses a fork()ing process model, there is no way to
do what you seek - however, keep in mind that a lot of the memory usage
you're seeing is in shared memory, and therefore only exists once.  Each
apache process will only duplicate a small part of the overall footprint.

However.

I'd setup some front-end 'light' servers (that don't have mod_perl), and
handle the non-mod perl requests there.  Anything else that needs mod perl
would be passed through to some back-end 'heavy' mod-perl enabled web
servers.

Not sure how the proxying would work with the virtual hosts, but it
shouldn't be too hard (said the spider to the fly :-) ).

The mod-perl guide has all sorts of information on running a
front-end/back-end configuration.  It will require the use of mod_rewrite,
and mod_proxy.  These both have to be compiled into the front end, but are
not required in the backend.

HTH.

Cheers!

    -klm.