Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Arthur Schwarz <as...@att.net> on 2013/12/12 04:40:20 UTC

How do you insert a spreadsheet into a text document

I know about copy and paste. Works great. But, my table is 59 rows and is
organized into landscape mode. So, copy and past produces one condensed
page.

What I would like is to have a couple of pages in my document in landscape
mode, the rest in portrait mode. When I go to Format -> Page -> Page I can
format for landscape mode but it formats the entire document. How do I
format just a few pages and not the entire document?

The second question is that I would like to copy the entire OOCalc
spreadsheet into the landscape pages and have the spreadsheet occupy more
than a single page. Copy/Paste seems to fit the OOCalc spreadsheet into a
single page. Do I use Copy/Paste or is there another way to do it (I've
looked at Insert->Object but nothing seems to apply).

And I guess at the bottom of the list, once the spreadsheet is inserted, I'd
like to make changes to it. Perhaps to make it a table within the text
document. I've tried the Copy/Paste into a table and that doesn't seem to
work well.

Thanks

art

RE: How do you insert a spreadsheet into a text document

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 02:45 12/12/2013 -0800, Arthur Schwarz wrote:
>That was a truly awesome response.

No probs!

>Everything worked except repeating the top two lines across multiple
>pages. I can live with that.

You don't need to.  I'm not sure whether you mean that you got
repetition you didn't want or didn't get it when you did.  In either case:
o Right-click in the table and go to Table... | Text Flow | Text
Flow.  (Or use Table | Table Properties... .)
o Either remove the tick from "Repeat heading" (or add it) or adjust
the value for "The first <nn> rows".

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker

Re: How do you insert a spreadsheet into a text document

Posted by Luis Iglesias <lu...@vigo.org>.
Sorry for my previous answer. It was related to repeating rows in calc.
You can set the rows to repeat in a table in Writer this way:
In the context menu of the table, select the "Text flow" tab, "Repeat heading", the first "n" rows.

Enviados: Jueves, 12 de Diciembre 2013 11:45:01
Asunto: RE: How do you insert a spreadsheet into a text document

Hi Brian;

That was a truly awesome response. Everything worked except repeating the

Posted by Luis Iglesias <lu...@vigo.org>.
Format > Print Ranges > Edit > Rows t o repeat

At 19:40 11/12/2013 -0800, Arthur Schwarz wrote:
>What I would like is to have a couple of pages in my document in
>landscape mode, the rest in portrait mode. When I go to Format ->
>Page -> Page I can format for landscape mode but it formats the
>entire document. How do I format just a few pages and not the entire
document?

Orientation is a property of page style, so you need to change your
page style in order to change orientation. In this case, you will
want to insert manual page breaks to mark the places where the
orientation changes:
o Go to Insert | Manual Break... .
o Under Type, select "Page break".
o Under Style, select a suitable page style for your landscape pages,
perhaps Landscape - or one you have created yourself.
o After your landscape pages, repeat the procedure to change the page
style back - to Default or whatever.

>I know about copy and paste. Works great. But, my table is 59 rows
>and is organized into landscape mode. So, copy and paste produces
>one condensed page.

But you may not know about Paste Special, which will be your friend
here. You get to it at Edit | Paste Special... or by using
Ctrl+Shift+V (instead of Ctrl+V). This gives you a number of paste
options, and you will want to experiment to see what suits your
purpose. The default mode gives you a copy on a single page within a
frame; you can reshape the frame but not (easily) split it between
pages. Note that you can double-click the result to give an editable
spreadsheet. Other options give you a picture of the spreadsheet, or
a table mimicking the spreadsheet cells.

>The second question is that I would like to copy the entire OOCalc
>spreadsheet into the landscape pages and have the spreadsheet occupy
>more than a single page.

Some options will do this.

> [...]

>and is organized into landscape mode. So, copy and paste produces
>one condensed page.

But you may not know about Paste Special, which will be your friend
here.  You get to it at Edit | Paste Special... or by using
Ctrl+Shift+V (instead of Ctrl+V).  This gives you a number of paste
options, and you will want to experiment to see what suits your
purpose.  The default mode gives you a copy on a single page within a
frame; you can reshape the frame but not (easily) split it between
pages.  Note that you can double-click the result to give an editable
spreadsheet.  Other options give you a picture of the spreadsheet, or
a table mimicking the spreadsheet cells.

>The second question is that I would like to copy the entire OOCalc
>spreadsheet into the landscape pages and have the spreadsheet occupy

Some options will do this.

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 19:40 11/12/2013 -0800, Arthur Schwarz wrote:
>What I would like is to have a couple of pages in my document in
>landscape mode, the rest in portrait mode. When I go to Format ->
>Page -> Page I can format for landscape mode but it formats the
>entire document. How do I format just a few pages and not the entire document?

Orientation is a property of page style, so you need to change your
page style in order to change orientation.  In this case, you will
want to insert manual page breaks to mark the places where the
orientation changes:
o Go to Insert | Manual Break... .
o Under Type, select "Page break".
o Under Style, select a suitable page style for your landscape pages,
perhaps Landscape - or one you have created yourself.
o After your landscape pages, repeat the procedure to change the page
style back - to Default or whatever.

>I know about copy and paste. Works great. But, my table is 59 rows
>and is organized into landscape mode. So, copy and paste produces
>one condensed page.

But you may not know about Paste Special, which will be your friend
here.  You get to it at Edit | Paste Special... or by using
Ctrl+Shift+V (instead of Ctrl+V).  This gives you a number of paste
options, and you will want to experiment to see what suits your
purpose.  The default mode gives you a copy on a single page within a
frame; you can reshape the frame but not (easily) split it between
pages.  Note that you can double-click the result to give an editable
spreadsheet.  Other options give you a picture of the spreadsheet, or
a table mimicking the spreadsheet cells.

>The second question is that I would like to copy the entire OOCalc
>spreadsheet into the landscape pages and have the spreadsheet occupy
>more than a single page.

Some options will do this.