Posted to users@maven.apache.org by zhu19774279 <zh...@yahoo.com.cn> on 2013/04/27 05:03:25 UTC

Are there any guidelines I can follow when I split apart a wep-app into a multimodule project?

For example, I have a SSH project, how many modules should I split? A
service-module, a DAO-module, a action-module and a web-app module? Are
there any guidelines or rules I should follow?
Thanks~~

Re: Are there any guidelines I can follow when I split apart a wep-app into a multimodule project?

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
This is not really a maven.
You might want to ask in the Java community.

My advice would be to group the code into projects in such a way that
changes affect the smallest number of projects.
On the other hand, you also want to make it easy to figure out which
project contains the class that you want to change.

Ron

On 26/04/2013 11:03 PM, zhu19774279 wrote:
> For example, I have a SSH project, how many modules should I split? A
> service-module, a DAO-module, a action-module and a web-app module? Are
> there any guidelines or rules I should follow?
> Thanks~~

Ron Wheeler
President
Artifact Software Inc
email: rwheeler@artifact-software.com
skype: ronaldmwheeler
phone: 866-970-2435, ext 102

Re: Are there any guidelines I can follow when I split apart a wep-app into a multimodule project?

Posted by Thomas Broyer <t....@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Apr 27, 2013 at 5:03 AM, zhu19774279 <zh...@yahoo.com.cn> wrote:
> For example, I have a SSH project, how many modules should I split? A
> service-module, a DAO-module, a action-module and a web-app module? Are
> there any guidelines or rules I should follow?

Splitting at your layers' and/or components' boundaries really help
following your architecture (whichever it is: traditional layered
architecture, onion architecture, etc.)
If you haven't settled on a particular architecture, then do not try
to split too early; over time, an architecture will emerge and you can
then split, provided it adds value to your project/team (“premature
optimization” also applies to the developer workflow)

I otherwise agree with Ron, it's not specific to Maven, neither
actually even specific to Java.

--
Thomas Broyer
/tɔ.ma.bʁwa.je/