Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Anwar Ahmad <an...@net-linx.com> on 2005/10/26 05:31:28 UTC

SVN deactivated by Xinetd then cant start

Hi,

I keep getting the errors below for Subversion (a service started by
xinetd). I'm not sure whether this is an subversion thingy or an xinetd
thingy. I'm using svn in the svnserve service started by xinetd.

Oct 26 09:06:35 svn3 xinetd[26867]: Service svn: server exit with 0
running servers
Oct 26 09:06:38 svn3 xinetd[11749]: Failed to contact identity server at
192.168.12.188: timeout
Oct 26 09:06:38 svn3-svn xinetd[26867]: Activating service svn
Oct 26 09:07:04 svn3 xinetd[26867]: Deactivating service svn due to
excessive incoming connections.  Restarting in 30 seconds.

Basically I come into office with a ton of these error in the morning.
Somehow it's getting disabled but can't really activate. Something to do
with an "Identity Server"

What I don't understand is what's it got to do with any identity server?
I don't recall setting up an identity server. And the IP 192.168.12.188
is actually a normal windows XP PC and this is a DHCP IP so it'll
probably change.

Anyone knows how I should begin to troubleshoot this issue?

xinetd.conf :-
defaults
{
        instances               = 60
        log_type                = SYSLOG authpriv
        log_on_success          = HOST PID
        log_on_failure          = HOST
        cps                     = 50 30
}
includedir /etc/xinetd.d

/etc/xinetd.d/svn :-
service svn
{
    disable     = no
    socket_type     = stream
    wait            = no
    user            = svn
    server          = /usr/bin/svnserve
    server_args     = --inetd --root=/var/svn/
    log_on_failure  += USERID
}

Thanks!

Anwar

Re: SVN deactivated by Xinetd then cant start

Posted by Anwar Ahmad <an...@net-linx.com>.
Martin Tomes wrote:

> Anwar Ahmad wrote:
>
>> Anyone knows how I should begin to troubleshoot this issue?
>

>> xinetd.conf :-
>> defaults
>> {
>>        instances               = 60
>>        log_type                = SYSLOG authpriv
>>        log_on_success          = HOST PID
>>        log_on_failure          = HOST
>>        cps                     = 50 30
>> }
>> includedir /etc/xinetd.d
>>
>> /etc/xinetd.d/svn :-
>> service svn
>> {
>>    disable     = no
>>    socket_type     = stream
>>    wait            = no
>>    user            = svn
>>    server          = /usr/bin/svnserve
>>    server_args     = --inetd --root=/var/svn/
>>    log_on_failure  += USERID
>> }
>

> cps
>
> Limits the rate of incoming  connections.   Takes  two
> arguments.   The  first argument is the number of con‐
> nections per second to handle.  If the rate of  incom‐
> ing  connections is higher than this, the service will
> be temporarily disabled.  The second argument  is  the
> number  of seconds to wait before re‐enabling the ser‐
> vice after it has been disabled.  The default for this
> setting is 50 incoming connections and the interval is
> 10 seconds.
>

> Increase the settings for cps in the svn file.

Hi Martin,

I've actually increased it to 50 from 25. However CPS is supposed to be
Connections Per Second and I seriously doubt that I'm pushing anywhere
near 25 let alone 50. I got about 8 people here using it. Tops.

Another problem seems to be that the service isnt getting restarted by
xinetd. The restarting seems to be the problem. My only solution each
time has been to manually killall svnserve. Then manually run svnserve
from command line since restarting xinetd doesn't seem to do it.

I'm really thinking that it has something to do with this indentity
server thingy...

Thanks!

Kind Regards,

Re: SVN deactivated by Xinetd then cant start

Posted by Martin Tomes <li...@tomes.org>.

--
Martin Tomes
echo 'martin at tomes x org x uk'\