Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Brian Mathis <bm...@directedge.com> on 2004/07/08 16:38:46 UTC

wording nitpick: Re: Suggestion to enhance svnserve-section of the subversion book

karsten.krischker@simplify-technologies.de wrote:
[...]
> of the client, which asks for authentification frequently (the path changes and so does
> the "realm").
> But if I was very deep in the checked out directory tree no more authentification was
[...]

"authentification" is not a word and does not mean anything.  I think
you mean "authentication".

This isn't targeted directly at you, but since its use is becoming so
widespread, I feel compelled to point it out.  I think some people use
it to be cute or something, but its happening so much lately that I'm
not sure if people know it's not actually a word.

--
Brian Mathis
http://directedge.com/

Re: wording nitpick: Re: Suggestion to enhance svnserve-section of the subversion book

Posted by Eric Carlson <er...@group-technical.com>.
Maybe its a Bushism?

Posted by Dirk Reckmann <dy...@gmx.de>.
Am Donnerstag, 8. Juli 2004 18:38 schrieb Brian Mathis:
> karsten.krischker@simplify-technologies.de wrote:
> [...]
>
> > of the client, which asks for authentification frequently (the path
> > changes and so does the "realm").
> > But if I was very deep in the checked out directory tree no more
> > authentification was
>
> [...]
>
> "authentification" is not a word and does not mean anything.  I think
> you mean "authentication".
>
> This isn't targeted directly at you, but since its use is becoming so
> widespread, I feel compelled to point it out.  I think some people use
> it to be cute or something, but its happening so much lately that I'm
> not sure if people know it's not actually a word.

I use it sometimes by mistake, because it is "Authentifizierung" in german,
and "authentification" resembles this most closely in english. So please
forgive us :-)

Ciao,
  Dirk

Re: wording nitpick: Re: Suggestion to enhance svnserve-section of the subversion book

Posted by ka...@simplify-technologies.de.
On 8 Jul 2004 at 12:38, Brian Mathis wrote:

> karsten.krischker@simplify-technologies.de wrote:
> [...]
> > of the client, which asks for authentification frequently (the path changes and so does
> [...]
>
> "authentification" is not a word and does not mean anything.  I think
> you mean "authentication".

Please forgive me this fault :-), but the German translation for "authentication" is
"Authentifizierung" so I ran into this trap.

Karsten.