Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org> on 2008/09/16 23:59:21 UTC

prohibit jira comment edits

Nigel Daley wrote:
>> Should we perhaps only permit project admins to edit & remove comments?
>
> +1

To elaborate on my rationale: comments log a discussion.  If folks are
permitted to edit and remove their comments then they can make the
subsequent comments of others irrelevant.  Folks should use the same
care before submitting a comment as sending an email.

To make things worse, Jira does not provide a 'diff'.  It is difficult
to tell what's been changed.  So when folks edit long comments, I
usually just ignore the edit, since I don't want to re-read the long
comment.

It is easier for everyone following an issue if instead of editing,
follow up comments are added.  Every comment results in hundreds of
emails.  One wastes a large amount of other people's time each time one
edits a comment just to, e.g., correct a typo.  If you care, proofread
before you submit, otherwise, let it go.

Doug

Re: prohibit jira comment edits

Posted by Amar Kamat <am...@yahoo-inc.com>.
Doug Cutting wrote:
> Nigel Daley wrote:
>>> Should we perhaps only permit project admins to edit & remove comments?
>>
>> +1
>
> To elaborate on my rationale: comments log a discussion.  If folks are
> permitted to edit and remove their comments then they can make the
> subsequent comments of others irrelevant.  Folks should use the same
> care before submitting a comment as sending an email.
>
> To make things worse, Jira does not provide a 'diff'.  It is difficult
> to tell what's been changed.  So when folks edit long comments, I
> usually just ignore the edit, since I don't want to re-read the long
> comment.
>
> It is easier for everyone following an issue if instead of editing,
> follow up comments are added.  Every comment results in hundreds of
> emails.  One wastes a large amount of other people's time each time
> one edits a comment just to, e.g., correct a typo.  If you care,
> proofread before you submit, otherwise, let it go.
I agree with Doug. But sometimes important confidential details like
machine names, project names, usernames etc might slip in. I think
changes should be monitored, if possible. Changes that might not have
any effect on the  discussion should be allowed. Not sure if that can be
done. Atleast a request to the admin for a change should be entertained :).
Amar

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Doug Cutting wrote:
> Steve Loughran wrote:
>> Lots of people in apache have full JIRA admin rights that could ignore
>> your permission restrictions without even noticing.
>
> I think the change to make would be to prohibit *anyone* from editing a
> comment, even an admin, and permit deletion of comments only by admins.
>  (Of course even that's an illusion, since the original comment will be
> replicated in mail archives around the web and cannot be retracted.)
> This would permit us to remove things on request, but I don't think
> folks who have admin privledges would often delete issues simply because
> they've changed their mind or made a typo, the way they are tempted to
> with edits.
>
> We've tried it as a social thing for a long time, and comment editing
> continues at a steady rate.  It's never a good idea to edit a Jira
> comment, so why should we ever permit it?
>
> Doug

well, try it and see how well it works.

Re: prohibit jira comment edits

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
I'm in favor of leaving edits enabled and just use social engineering.

-- Owen

Re: prohibit jira comment edits

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@apache.org>.
Doug Cutting wrote:
> Nigel Daley wrote:
>>> Should we perhaps only permit project admins to edit & remove comments?
>>
>> +1
>
> To elaborate on my rationale: comments log a discussion.  If folks are
> permitted to edit and remove their comments then they can make the
> subsequent comments of others irrelevant.  Folks should use the same
> care before submitting a comment as sending an email.
>
> To make things worse, Jira does not provide a 'diff'.  It is difficult
> to tell what's been changed.  So when folks edit long comments, I
> usually just ignore the edit, since I don't want to re-read the long
> comment.
>
> It is easier for everyone following an issue if instead of editing,
> follow up comments are added.  Every comment results in hundreds of
> emails.  One wastes a large amount of other people's time each time one
> edits a comment just to, e.g., correct a typo.  If you care, proofread
> before you submit, otherwise, let it go.
>
> Doug

Its a social thing; It may be possible to restrict in Jira, but it may
be easier just to persuade people not to do it. Lots of people in apache
have full JIRA admin rights that could ignore your permission
restrictions without even noticing.

-steve

RE: prohibit jira comment edits

Posted by Jim Kellerman <Ji...@microsoft.com>.
+1

---
Jim Kellerman, Powerset (Live Search, Microsoft Corporation)

Posted by Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org>.
Owen O'Malley wrote:
> I'm in favor of leaving edits enabled and just use social engineering.

Why have you changed your mind?  Why do you think social engineering
will work now?  It has not in the past.  Despite regular complaints over
the years, edits have proceeded at a steady pace:

   http://tinyurl.com/489jyw

Also, what reasonable uses are there for comment editing?  Social
engineering would be appropriate if there were common cases where
editing a comment is defensible, but, in a project where it must be
possible to track issues through mailing lists, I think there's simply
no place for comment editing.

Posted by Owen O'Malley <om...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 2:59 PM, Doug Cutting <cu...@apache.org> wrote:

> Nigel Daley wrote:
>
>> Should we perhaps only permit project admins to edit & remove comments?
>>>

>> +1

+1