Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Ra...@seagate.com on 2006/11/22 21:19:05 UTC

[users@httpd] Comparing Apache HTTP server 1.3 vs 2.0.*

I  was looking for articles/notes on comparing the HTTP server performance
between the 1.3 and 2.0.* releases. The application that we plan on hosting
will use the Apache HTTP server to forward requests to a Weblogic Server
cluster  using the WLS plugin - all running on RHEL. The static component
that would be served by the Apache HTTP server would be minimal.

Thanks

Ramdas

Re: [users@httpd] Comparing Apache HTTP server 1.3 vs 2.0.*

Posted by Ra...@seagate.com.
Joshua,

Thanks. I think what you mention makes sense - but i still wanted to make
sure i was not missing anything major before going down the 2.0.* path. My
initial plan was to look at the 2.2.* release but based on some initial
configuration that i tried, the WLS plugin which is part of WLS 9.2 is not
compatible with the 2.2.* release.

Thanks

Ramdas

             "Joshua Slive"
             <jo...@slive.ca>
             jslive@gmail.com          users@httpd.apache.org
             No Phone Info                                              cc
             Available
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [users@httpd] Comparing Apache
             11/22/2006 12:47          HTTP server 1.3 vs 2.0.*
             PM

             Please respond to
             users@httpd.apach
                   e.org

On 11/22/06, Ramdas.Hegde@seagate.com <Ra...@seagate.com> wrote:

> I  was looking for articles/notes on comparing the HTTP server
performance
> between the 1.3 and 2.0.* releases. The application that we plan on
hosting
> will use the Apache HTTP server to forward requests to a Weblogic Server
> cluster  using the WLS plugin - all running on RHEL. The static component
> that would be served by the Apache HTTP server would be minimal.

I don't think you'll find much useful info on that question.  The
performance of the two would probably be very similar under those
conditions, although the specifics of the setup can always make a
difference.

The real question you should be asking yourself is if you really want
to start a project with a server that hasn't had any serious
development work in over 5 years.  If so, I hope you don't need IPv6,
caching, threading, sendfile, filtering, largefile support, accept
filters, or any of the thousands of other improvements that have gone
into the 2.x series.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Comparing Apache HTTP server 1.3 vs 2.0.*

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.