Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by sah62 <sa...@musclecarresearch.com> on 2014/10/23 22:40:23 UTC

SpamCop Not Reporting

I'm running SpamAssassin version 3.4.0 with Perl version 5.18.2 on a server
running Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS. I recently noticed that I'm not getting reports
sent to SpamCop, but as far as I can tell everything seems to be configured
correctly. There are just no reports visible at spamcop.net and nothing in
spamd.log to indicate that reports are being sent; spam *is* being flagged
and delivered to me appropriately. The Net::DNS and Net::SMTP Perl modules
are installed. Can someone help me figure out what's going on?

Here's what I have in /etc/spamassassin/local.cf:

spamcop_from_address sah@mydomain.org
spamcop_to_address submit.mystuff@spam.spamcop.net

/etc/default/spamassassin:

# Change to one to enable spamd
ENABLED=1

# See man spamd for possible options. The -d option is automatically added.

# SpamAssassin uses a preforking model, so be careful! You need to
# make sure --max-children is not set to anything higher than 5,
# unless you know what you're doing.

OPTIONS="-r --create-prefs --max-children 5 --helper-home-dir -s
/var/log/spamd.log"

/etc/postfix/master.cf:

spamassassin unix - n n - - pipe
  user=debian-spamd argv=/usr/bin/spamc -f -e /usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -x -f
${sender} ${recipient}

/var/log/spamd.log:

Thu Oct 23 07:24:43 2014 [21020] dbg: plugin: loading
Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SpamCop from @INC
Thu Oct 23 07:24:43 2014 [21020] dbg: reporter: network tests on, attempting
SpamCop

Re: SpamCop Not Reporting

Posted by David B Funk <db...@engineering.uiowa.edu>.
On Thu, 23 Oct 2014, sah62 wrote:

> I'm running SpamAssassin version 3.4.0 with Perl version 5.18.2 on a server
> running Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS. I recently noticed that I'm not getting reports
> sent to SpamCop, but as far as I can tell everything seems to be configured
> correctly. There are just no reports visible at spamcop.net and nothing in
> spamd.log to indicate that reports are being sent; spam *is* being flagged
> and delivered to me appropriately. The Net::DNS and Net::SMTP Perl modules
> are installed. Can someone help me figure out what's going on?
>
> Here's what I have in /etc/spamassassin/local.cf:
>
> spamcop_from_address sah@mydomain.org
> spamcop_to_address submit.mystuff@spam.spamcop.net
>
> /etc/default/spamassassin:
>
> # Change to one to enable spamd
> ENABLED=1

> # See man spamd for possible options. The -d option is automatically added.
>
> # SpamAssassin uses a preforking model, so be careful! You need to
> # make sure --max-children is not set to anything higher than 5,
> # unless you know what you're doing.
>
> OPTIONS="-r --create-prefs --max-children 5 --helper-home-dir -s
> /var/log/spamd.log"
>
> /etc/postfix/master.cf:
>
> spamassassin unix - n n - - pipe
>  user=debian-spamd argv=/usr/bin/spamc -f -e /usr/sbin/sendmail -oi -x -f
> ${sender} ${recipient}
>
> /var/log/spamd.log:
>
> Thu Oct 23 07:24:43 2014 [21020] dbg: plugin: loading
> Mail::SpamAssassin::Plugin::SpamCop from @INC
> Thu Oct 23 07:24:43 2014 [21020] dbg: reporter: network tests on, attempting
> SpamCop

I assume that "submit.mystuff@spam.spamcop.net" is your redacted spamcop
submission address and not literally what you have in your conf file.

The spamcop submission component wants to make a direct connection to spamcop's
smtp server rather than using your local MSA infrastructure. So if it cannot
make that network connection submissions will fail. Check for the ability to
connect from your spamd server to port 25 on what ever MX spam.spamcop.net uses
these days.

#include <std_disclaimer.h>

RE: SpamCop Not Reporting

Posted by Scott Hollenbeck <sa...@musclecarresearch.com>.

Thanks for this and the other replies. Manual reporting works fine, but it can be tedious. I was hoping that it could be done automatically. Oh, well.