Posted to dev@struts.apache.org by st...@bb.com.br on 2003/12/18 18:41:31 UTC

What about Struts 2.0 and JSF?

Guys,

     I am wondering what is the relation between Struts 2.0 and JSF. Will
Struts be an implementation of JSF specification? Will it be the "Reference
Implementation" (UHUUU)?

Stutz

Re: What about Struts 2.0 and JSF?

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <cr...@apache.org>.
Quoting stutz@bb.com.br:

> Guys,
>
>      I am wondering what is the relation between Struts 2.0 and JSF.

It should certainly be possible to use JavaServer Faces in your view tier of a
Struts 2.0 based app.

> Will Struts be an implementation of JSF specification?

That hasn't been articulated on the list of goals to date.  If we want an Apache
open source implementation of JSF, I would recommend it be done in a separate
project (certainly can be overlapping developers if existing Struts folks are
interested).

The Struts 2.0 design should probably take into account where JSF is going --
watch for additional news in that regard very soon -- so that integration can
happen in response to UI events from a JSF-based UI, but most of what we're
talking about for Struts 2.0 is actually in the controller, not the view.

> Will it be the "Reference
> Implementation" (UHUUU)?

No.

Remember that "reference implementation" has a specific meaning for Java
standards, and the spec lead for a particular JSR is required to deliver the
corresponding RI -- In the case of JavaServer Faces (JSR-127), Sun is
delivering the RI.

There is a (mis)conception, for example, that Tomcat is the RI for the servlet
and JSP APIs.  That is not the case -- the official RI is the "J2EE SDK"
available at <http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/download-dr.html>.  It happens to
*include* code from Tomcat, but this is the real RI.

> Stutz

Craig