Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Richard Mixon <rn...@qwest.net> on 2006/02/01 17:12:52 UTC

RE: Tomcat log to syslog

Mark,

I've been using SLES 8, and now SLES 9 for over two years. Novell/SuSE's
policy of patching the shipped version of Tomcat rather than upgrading
probably works for some customers and provides a bit more stability to
production installations. But it did not work well fo me either.

My solution was to get the standard, lastest Tomcat download (5.5.x) and
install it. I did not follow the SLES9/Linus layout exactly, which typically
sprays parts of Tomcat into different directories according to their type
(i.e. "/var" for log files, etc.). I just untarred it into the home
directory of a user that I wanted Tomcat to run as. I did create a symbolic
link for the <TOMCAT_HOME>/logs directory to put it in an appropriate
location in logs. Probably should have linked <TOMCAT_HOME>/conf under /etc
also, but did not.

So far this is no big deal. But you really want Tomcat to play well as a
service with the rest of SLES9. My solution to this was to copy the
following system files as follow:
 - /etc/init.d/tomcat to /etc/init.d/tc55
 - /etc/sysconfig/j2ee to /etc/sysconfig/j2ee_tc55
Obviously I had to make some minor adjustments to the above files to reflect
the new location of Tomcat 5.5.x, but it was pretty simple to do.

There's also a command that you can run to create a "rctc55" link for
/etc/init.d/tc55 in /usr/sbin - cannot remember it off the top of my head
now.

Hope this helps. If you want my modified files, you can email me off list
and I will be glad to share them.

 - Richard