Posted to cactus-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Christopher Lenz <cm...@gmx.de> on 2003/01/03 00:49:41 UTC

Re: [PROPOSAL] New directory structure?

Vincent Massol wrote:
>>BTW, this also seems like a good time to think about moving the
>>org.apache.cactus.unit regression test suite into the framework,
>

> hum... I'm not sure it goes in the framework, the reason being it needs
> Cactus itself and all the container configurations/scripts which are
> located in the "spines/frontends"/ant directory.
>

>>or at
>>least out of the sample-servlet.
>

> I'm not 100% sure. I've always considered these tests to be real useful
> to learn how to use Cactus as they show almost every possibility of
> using Cactus. So, not only are they regression tests, they are also
> documentation/samples. I do agree they are not at exactly the same level
> as the provided few "real" samples.
>
> I can see 3 solutions:
>
> A/ Leave both the test suite and the "real" samples in sample-servlet,
> adding a README file explaining the difference.
>
> B/ Remove the few "real" samples and make sample-servlet a regression
> suite that also acts as documentation/sample. This means removing the
> src/sample directory and only keeping the src/unit one (which could be
> renamed should we wish)
>
> C/ Make 2 subprojects in jakarta-cactus/samples:
>
> servlet/ : "real" samples
> testsuite/ : regression test suite

I'd rather have a jakarta-cactus/testsuite module.

> Then, the last question is whether the regression test suite is packaged
> in the cactus distribution or not.

This is a good question. Personally, I don't find the regression test
suite very good at demonstrating how to use Cactus. Rather, it might
confuse users, because it looks more like a regression test suite for
the servlet-container, the http-client-library and of course Cactus. At
least, *I* was confused when seeing the names of the tests flying by for
the first time. Not exactly the type of stuff you want to test about
your typical web-application.

That being said, the testsuite *does* of course contain code that is
useful as a reference. However, that's not unusual about test code. The
question remains whether the testsuite should be included with the
binary distribution...

> Personally, I find C/ the most complex as it means a new subproject and
> thus a new build. I think my preference would go towards B/.

To summarize, I'd prefer the regression test suite (i.e. the tests that
test Cactus using Cactus) to be in a module in its own right (for
instance jakarta-cactus/testsuite). I think that such a testsuite module
  using its own build will make the actual sample application cleaner
and easier to understand. But that really also depends on the "Ant
Spine" module, providing an integration with Ant that is more reusable.
That's why I was suggesting the change in this thread.

--
Christopher Lenz
/=/ cmlenz at gmx.de