Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org> on 2008/02/09 17:09:20 UTC

[VOTE] Accept CouchDB for incubation

We've had an initial discussion, which attracted a number of messages
of encouragement, and identified no issues or concerns.  Then we
proceeded onto a proposal, which attracted three excellent mentors.
Now it is time to vote on the proposal which can be found on the
Apache Wiki, and reproduced below.

I would like to proudly start this off with my +1.

- Sam Ruby

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/CouchDBProposal

Project Name: CouchDB
-----------------------------

== Proposal ==
The goal is to create either an Apache top level project around the
existing CouchDB open source project.

Key Features:
 * a REST API using JSON for data transport,
 * a JavaScript view engine based on Mozilla Spidermonkey,
 * a GNU Autotools build system supporting most POSIX systems
 * a built-in administration interface
 * experimental fulltext search with Lucene

=== Rationale ===
The goals of the project are aligned with the goals of the ASF, namely
there is interest in (continuing to) foster a collaborative, consensus
based development process, using an open and pragmatic software
license, and a desire to create high quality software that leads the
way in its field.

=== Initial goals ===
 * Features for next release
  *  Incremental reduce support, for full map/reduce support.
  * Document validation model (validate live and replicated changes)
  * Documentation, Documentation, Documentation
  * Fulltext Search
 * Priority feature work
  * Live compaction
  * Extensible security model
  * LDAP authentication
  * More query capabilities exposed to HTTP, e.g. multi-key view lookups
 * Future feature work
  * Server storage partioning
  * Server failover clustering
 * Requested Features
  * hierarchical structure in documents

== Current Status ==

=== Meritocracy ===
The project has recently transformed from being primarily a single
person led (and funded) project to one with a number of diverse
participants.  Development has been coordinated primarily through a
mailing list, with some IRC.

=== Community ===
The community consists of a set of independent developers, one of
which recently joined IBM

=== Initial Developers ===
 * William Beh
 * Damien Katz
 * Jan Lehnardt
 * Christopher Lenz
 * Dirk Schalge
 * Noah Slater

=== Alignment ===
A database server with a strong focus on HTTP and REST principles.

=== Known Risks ===
 * Dependency on Erlang
  * Including some modifications to the HTTP server stack.  The plan
is to convert over to [http://code.google.com/p/mochiweb/ MochiWeb]
(MIT licenced)
 * Dependency on Mozilla SpiderMonkey
  * Including small modifications, to be sent back to Mozilla

=== Orphaned Products ===
 * This is a new effort, and is far from being orphaned.

=== Inexperience with Open Source ===
All participants are active users and contributors to open source. One
of them (Christopher Lenz) has experience as committer on other Apache
projects.

=== Homogenous Developers ===
The exiting committers are spread over a number of countries and employers.

=== Reliance on Salaried Developers ===
Only one developer is being paid to work on CouchDB.  Read
[http://damienkatz.net/2008/01/faq_about_couch.html his views] on the
relationship he has with his employer.

=== Relationships with Other Apache Products ===
Experimental usage of Lucene

=== An excessive fascination with the Apache brand ===
This product started out independent of Apache and under a GPL
license.  After discussions with a number of people within IBM, Damien
Katz agreed to pursue both incubation at the ASF, and employment at
IBM

== Documentation ==

=== Initial Source ===
Resides on [http://code.google.com/p/couchdb/ Google Code].  The code
has been recently relicensed from GPL to the Apache License, Version
2.0, in anticipation of this submission.

=== Source and Intellectual Property Submission Plan ===
The bulk of the core code was written by Damien Katz.  Major
contributions include: a GNU Autotools build system supporting most
POSIX systems contributed by Noah Slater,  a built-in administration
interface provided by Christopher Lenz, and experimental fulltext
search with Lucene by Jan Lehnardt.  ICLAs either have been, or are in
the process of being, submitted for all code involved in this
submission.

ICLA's are already on file for:
 * Jan Lehnardt
 * Christopher Lenz
ICLA's in progress:
 * William Beh
 * Damien Katz
 * Dirk Schalge
 * Noah Slater

There are a few (as in single digit) number of files that we are
continuing to sort through the licenses.  These include Public Domain,
X Consortium, and MITish licenses.

=== External Dependencies ===
 * [http://www.icu-project.org/ ICU] (MIT)
 * [http://www.erlang.org/ Erlang] (Erlang Public License)
 * [http://www.mozilla.org/js/spidermonkey/ SpiderMonkey] (Mozilla
Public License)

=== Cryptography ===
Not applicable

=== Required Resources ===
 * Mailing lists:
  * couchdb-pmc for private PMC discussions (with moderated subscriptions)
  * couchdb-dev
  * couchdb-commits
  * couchdb-user
 * Subversion Directory:
  * https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/couchdb
 * Issue Tracking:
  * JIRA couchdb

=== Initial Committers ===
 * William Beh
 * Damien Katz
 * Jan Lehnardt
 * Christopher Lenz
 * Sam Ruby
 * Dirk Schalge
 * Noah Slater

== Sponsors ==

=== Champion ===
Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org>

=== Nominated Mentors ===
 * Jim Jagielski
 * Gianugo Rabellino
 * Ted Leung

=== Sponsoring Entity ===
The Apache Incubator

Re: [VOTE] Accept CouchDB for incubation

Posted by Ted Leung <tw...@sauria.com>.
+1

Posted by "Daniel S. Haischt" <da...@googlemail.com>.
+1 (non-binding)

Cheers
Daniel S. Haischt

Posted by Brian McCallister <br...@apache.org>.
+1

Posted by Assaf Arkin <ar...@intalio.com>.
+1 (non binding)
Assaf

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
"Sam Ruby" <ru...@apache.org> writes:

> We've had an initial discussion, which attracted a number of messages
> of encouragement, and identified no issues or concerns.  Then we
> proceeded onto a proposal, which attracted three excellent mentors.
> Now it is time to vote on the proposal which can be found on the
> Apache Wiki, and reproduced below.
>
> I would like to proudly start this off with my +1.
>
> - Sam Ruby
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/CouchDBProposal

+1  Very excited to see CouchDB here.

--
  J Aaron Farr     jadetower.com        [US] +1 724-964-4515
    馮傑仁         cubiclemuses.com     [HK] +852 8123-7905

Re: [VOTE] Accept CouchDB for incubation

Posted by Niall Pemberton <ni...@gmail.com>.
+1

Niall

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
+1

On Feb 9, 2008 5:09 PM, Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org> wrote:
> [...]
>  * Christopher Lenz
> ICLA's in progress:
>  * William Beh
>  * Damien Katz
>  * Dirk Schalge
>  * Noah Slater
>
> There are a few (as in single digit) number of files that we are
> continuing to sort through the licenses.  These include Public Domain,
> X Consortium, and MITish licenses.
>
> === External Dependencies ===
>  * [http://www.icu-project.org/ ICU] (MIT)
>  * [http://www.erlang.org/ Erlang] (Erlang Public License)
>  * [http://www.mozilla.org/js/spidermonkey/ SpiderMonkey] (Mozilla
> Public License)
>
> === Cryptography ===
> Not applicable
>
> === Required Resources ===
>  * Mailing lists:
>   * couchdb-pmc for private PMC discussions (with moderated subscriptions)

Matthias Wessendorf

further stuff:
mail: matzew-at-apache-dot-org

Re: [VOTE] Accept CouchDB for incubation

Posted by Niklas Gustavsson <ni...@protocol7.com>.
Sam Ruby wrote:
> We've had an initial discussion, which attracted a number of messages
> of encouragement, and identified no issues or concerns.  Then we
> proceeded onto a proposal, which attracted three excellent mentors.
> Now it is time to vote on the proposal which can be found on the
> Apache Wiki, and reproduced below.

Without a doubt, +1 (non-binding).

/niklas

Re: [VOTE] Accept CouchDB for incubation

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.
+1

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Feb 9, 2008, at 5:09 PM, Sam Ruby wrote:
> I would like to proudly start this off with my +1.

+1!

> Project Name: CouchDB
> -----------------------------
>
> == Proposal ==
> The goal is to create either an Apache top level project around the
> existing CouchDB open source project.
>
> Key Features:
>  * a REST API using JSON for data transport,
>  * a JavaScript view engine based on Mozilla Spidermonkey,
>  * a GNU Autotools build system supporting most POSIX systems
>  * a built-in administration interface
>  * experimental fulltext search with Lucene
<snip/>

cheers!

Leo Simons

Re: [VOTE] Accept CouchDB for incubation

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.

Blogging at http://boldlyopen.com/

Re: [VOTE] Accept CouchDB for incubation

Posted by Santiago Gala <sa...@gmail.com>.
+1

El sáb, 09-02-2008 a las 11:09 -0500, Sam Ruby escribió:
> [...]
>  * Christopher Lenz
> ICLA's in progress:
>  * William Beh
>  * Damien Katz
>  * Dirk Schalge
>  * Noah Slater
>
> There are a few (as in single digit) number of files that we are
> continuing to sort through the licenses.  These include Public Domain,
> X Consortium, and MITish licenses.
>
> === External Dependencies ===
>  * [http://www.icu-project.org/ ICU] (MIT)
>  * [http://www.erlang.org/ Erlang] (Erlang Public License)
>  * [http://www.mozilla.org/js/spidermonkey/ SpiderMonkey] (Mozilla
> Public License)
>
> === Cryptography ===
> Not applicable
>
> === Required Resources ===
>  * Mailing lists:
>   * couchdb-pmc for private PMC discussions (with moderated subscriptions)

Santiago Gala
http://memojo.com/~sgala/blog/

Re: [VOTE] Accept CouchDB for incubation

Posted by Matthieu Riou <ma...@offthelip.org>.
On Feb 9, 2008 8:09 AM, Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org> wrote:

> We've had an initial discussion, which attracted a number of messages
> of encouragement, and identified no issues or concerns.  Then we
> proceeded onto a proposal, which attracted three excellent mentors.
> Now it is time to vote on the proposal which can be found on the
> Apache Wiki, and reproduced below.
>
> I would like to proudly start this off with my +1.

+1 and welcome! Hope that I'll have some time to help.

Matthieu

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Feb 9, 2008 6:09 PM, Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org> wrote:
> Now it is time to vote on the proposal which can be found on the
> Apache Wiki, and reproduced below.

+1

BR,

Jukka Zitting

Re: [VOTE] Accept CouchDB for incubation

Posted by Paul Fremantle <pz...@gmail.com>.
+1

Paul

--
Paul Fremantle
OASIS WS-RX TC Co-chair

blog: http://pzf.fremantle.org
paul@wso2.com

Re: [VOTE] Accept CouchDB for incubation

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
+1

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
+1 (non-binding) and Welcome !!!

On Feb 9, 2008 4:22 PM, Eddie O'Neil <ek...@gmail.com> wrote:
>   +1 -- am excited to have CouchDB starting incubation.
>

> On Feb 9, 2008 11:51 AM, Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com> wrote:

Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany Committer
http://people.apache.org/~lresende
http://lresende.blogspot.com/

Re: [VOTE] Accept CouchDB for incubation

Posted by Eddie O'Neil <ek...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Accept CouchDB for incubation

Posted by Craig L Russell <Cr...@Sun.COM>.
+1

Craig

On Feb 9, 2008, at 8:09 AM, Sam Ruby wrote:

> Project Name: CouchDB
> -----------------------------
>
> == Proposal ==
> The goal is to create either an Apache top level project around the
> existing CouchDB open source project.

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!

Re: [VOTE] Accept CouchDB for incubation

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Feb 9, 2008 4:09 PM, Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org> wrote:
> We've had an initial discussion, which attracted a number of messages
> of encouragement, and identified no issues or concerns.  Then we
> proceeded onto a proposal, which attracted three excellent mentors.
> Now it is time to vote on the proposal which can be found on the
> Apache Wiki, and reproduced below.
>
> I would like to proudly start this off with my +1.

+1

- robert

Re: [VOTE] Accept CouchDB for incubation

Posted by Yoav Shapira <yo...@apache.org>.
On Feb 9, 2008 11:09 AM, Sam Ruby <ru...@apache.org> wrote:
> We've had an initial discussion, which attracted a number of messages
> of encouragement, and identified no issues or concerns.  Then we
> proceeded onto a proposal, which attracted three excellent mentors.
> Now it is time to vote on the proposal which can be found on the
> Apache Wiki, and reproduced below.

+1.

Yoav

Re: [VOTE] Accept CouchDB for incubation

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.
> ...Now it is time to vote...

+1

-Bertrand