Posted to dev@mesos.apache.org by Marco Massenzio <ma...@mesosphere.io> on 2015/06/09 23:26:01 UTC

Mesos Jira workflow

Folks,

Please take a look at MESOS-2806: in a nutshell, our current workflow is
rather convoluted and brings about a host of issues, when managing tasks'
status transitions (detailed in the Jira - see screenshots there).

This is what it currently looks like:

[image: Inline image 1]

(spaghetti workflow? :)

I would propose to simplify it to the following:

[image: Inline image 2]

I'm sure we can think up all sorts of corner cases, but I would submit that
simplicity would trump complexity and allow us to track progress (or lack
thereof) of stories/tasks/bugs in a much more punctual manner.

Anyone against it?

*Marco Massenzio*
*Distributed Systems Engineer*

Re: Mesos Jira workflow

Posted by Marco Massenzio <ma...@mesosphere.io>.
Folks,

thanks to Tony Stevenson in INFRA, our Mesos workflow
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12740454/Mesos%20Workflow.png>
now reflects the one we arrived at.

Due to some quirks in Jira, the transitions buttons shown at the top of the
issue may not always reflect a valid transition (we're looking into this
with Tony): for example, an Accepted story has a "Stop Progress" button
(makes no sense); if you hit it, you'll get an error message - which is
correct, but annoying (also, really, we would like a "Start Progress"
button!).

For the time being, please use the "Workflow" button (which offers a subset
of possible states to transition to) to move Issues across states.

We'll keep you updated on progress.
The INFRA ticket to follow is here:

Re: Mesos Jira workflow

Posted by Alexander Rojas <al...@mesosphere.io>.
Hey Marco,

Thanks for doing this!

+1 removing “closed”
+1 to go back from “Reviewable” to “In Progress”
+1 to go from “In Progress” to “Accepted” instead of “Open”
+1 Removing “Reopened"

Re: Mesos Jira workflow

Posted by Marco Massenzio <ma...@mesosphere.io>.
inline...

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 12:44 AM, Adam Bordelon <ad...@mesosphere.io> wrote:

> +1 to removing Closed. In other projects, I've seen Resolved mean that a
> supposed fix has been committed, and Closed means that somebody (QA?
> Reporter?) has verified the fix, but we don't wait for verification, so
> it's probably pointless for us.

yep, gone.

> +1 to removing Reopened, and just going back to Open/Accepted instead.
> +1 to BenH's request to be able to Resolve from any status, so that an Open
> issue can be quickly resolved as Duplicate or Won't Fix.

added.

> We'll need to continue educating users about what "Accepted" means,
> especially if it becomes a required transition. Is there a way that we can
> require the Shepherd field to be filled out before something can be
> Accepted?

I don't think there is (and, to be honest, I am hesitant to require a
"Shepherd" for the transition:
it seems too high a bar - I'd suggest to require a Shepherd for the
transition to In Progress).

But totally +1 on educating the community about the semantics of "Accepted"
(especially,
the requirement of clear, well-written feature descriptions/bug reports)

Re: Mesos Jira workflow

Posted by Adam Bordelon <ad...@mesosphere.io>.

Re: Mesos Jira workflow

Posted by Marco Massenzio <ma...@mesosphere.io>.
inline...

wrote:

> +1 This sounds great to me Marco. I love eliminating Reopened, as well as
> simplifying (constraining) other transitions. I couple of quick questions:
>
> Why does stoping progress go from In Progress back to Open instead of
> Accepted? Seems like it's still an Accepted issue just not being worked on.

I thought about it and it occurs to me that there are three reasons why one
would "Stop Progress":

   1. I haven't got time, and more important stuff came along (this is the
   case your question seems to imply)
   2. I looked into it, and it really doesn't seem worth/desirable to do,
   ever (covered in "Resolved - won't fix")
   3. I looked into it, and I have my doubts this may ever be desirable,
   but I'll leave it to others to decide (the current "Stop Progress)

I've added a "Pause Progress" transition (back to "Accepted") that covers
case #1 - would this work?

> Can we resolve or close something directly from Open? For example, issues
> we're never going to work on or are duplicates or already fixed, etc.

Sure - added.

> Do we need both Resolved and Closed? This has come up in the past, we tend
> to close issues after we cut a release with them, but it's kind of an extra
> step that I'm not convinced we really need to do.

Got rid of Closed.
As both Bens don't like it - I think it was doomed :)

Re: Mesos Jira workflow

Posted by Benjamin Hindman <be...@eecs.berkeley.edu>.

Re: Mesos Jira workflow

Posted by Marco Massenzio <ma...@mesosphere.io>.
Inline...

On Tue, Jun 9, 2015 at 4:56 PM, Benjamin Mahler <be...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I don't have comment permissions on the doc, but it looks like you omitted
> a way to go from Reviewable -> In Progress, which we often do when the
> reviewee has more work to do before being ready for additional reviews, for
> example.

Great catch - added!
(called it `fix` - anyone has any suggestions for something more
suggestive?)

> I'm not sure what 'Closed' is supposed to represent, what does it mean to
> go from Resolved to Closed?

Great question! I don't know (it was there, and I thought it worth leaving)
In my previous experience, we used it to mark it as "QA Certified"

In other words - developer(s) would run and test locally (or in Jenkins, or
whatever) and mark the bug/story as "Resolved" - but it would only be
declared "Closed" (and make it to the Release Notes) once QA had it tested
against regressions, etc.

I'm happy to remove it from the workflow (assuming Jira allows it) or we
can leave it there.

Re: Mesos Jira workflow

Posted by Benjamin Mahler <be...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mesos Jira workflow

Posted by Jake Farrell <jf...@apache.org>.
For the ASF Jira we do not allow special permissions for customizing or
changing settings, we have been down that road before and it turned into a
mess. There are some settings within the ASF Jira which are global to all
projects and can not be changed, but you can have a custom workflow and
transitions. Happy to help with this once a final workflow is settled on
(this will also impact your agile boards in use)

-Jake

Re: Mesos Jira workflow

Posted by Marco Massenzio <ma...@mesosphere.io>.
Hi Vinod,

Re: Mesos Jira workflow

Posted by Vinod Kone <vi...@apache.org>.
+jake

Re: Mesos Jira workflow

Posted by Marco Massenzio <ma...@mesosphere.io>.
On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 6:44 PM, Benjamin Mahler <be...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Don't forget that folks accidentally do things all the time in JIRA,

or in life :)
eh eh I never forget that

> so if
> you fence off the ability to go back you make an accident permanent, or
> does JIRA have some undo support I'm unaware of?

I am pretty sure that we can alter the state of a given issue to move it
back to 'Open' (even if, as you pointed out, we need to take a detour via
'in progress') - but let me do some investigation and figure this one out.

Thanks!

Re: Mesos Jira workflow

Posted by Benjamin Mahler <be...@gmail.com>.
Don't forget that folks accidentally do things all the time in JIRA, so if

Re: Mesos Jira workflow

Posted by Marco Massenzio <ma...@mesosphere.io>.

Re: Mesos Jira workflow

Posted by Benjamin Mahler <be...@gmail.com>.

Re: Mesos Jira workflow

Posted by Marco Massenzio <ma...@mesosphere.io>.

Re: Mesos Jira workflow

Posted by Marco Massenzio <ma...@mesosphere.io>.

Re: Mesos Jira workflow

Posted by Till Toenshoff <to...@me.com>.
Very helpful Marco… I like the idea of tightening our JIRA workflow.

+1 removing “closed"
+1 “reviewable” back to "in progress" — to me this is a very helpful signal for longer lasting comment addressing
+1 making sure that “accepted" is the gatekeeper and includes assigning the maintainer as a default shepherd — should we even go as far as to prevent  “assigning” issues that have not gotten “accepted” and “shepherd assigned” ?

Re: Mesos Jira workflow

Posted by Marco Massenzio <ma...@mesosphere.io>.