Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org> on 2011/03/03 15:43:13 UTC

Publicising events (was Re: The theory of retreats)

On 03/03/2011 14:34, Christian Grobmeier wrote:
> Are you using XING or similar to announce/organize the event? If a
> XING group is used, people can follow (like me). And probably other
> events like a bavaria barcamp could join teh group too

I've copied this to ConCom as it's not our responsibility to publicise
events.

On the other hand, with my ConCom hat on I would probably respond along
the lines of "it's worth considering places like Xing, but we will never
reach all of the possible social networks/event announcement lists/event
feeds etc. We should encourage all people interested in the ASF to
publicise our events for us in these places."

Ross

Re: Publicising events (was Re: The theory of retreats)

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
> On the other hand, with my ConCom hat on I would probably respond along the
> lines of "it's worth considering places like Xing, but we will never reach
> all of the possible social networks/event announcement lists/event feeds
> etc. We should encourage all people interested in the ASF to publicise our
> events for us in these places."

I think this is a good thing to have great ads with a very low cost. I
don't think it is necessary to use them all. In germany probably Xing,
Facebook and Twitter is most used from the social tools. I guess in
the US LinkedIn replaces Xing in this list. These four will already
have a good effect.

>From administration perspective, how is this done. In Xing groups you
can add more than one moderator. Facebook allows Pages with multiple
moderators too. So I guess we have some volunteers (the streetteam
;-)) for each network to fill the actual content and a small set of
group who are overseeing this activities.

Anyway, a central place for our events would also be good. On the
website there is a place for conferences, but I was not aware about
the Dinner in Berlin, even when I live in germany myself. I would have
expected there is a link from the main page to some kind of calendar.
All events on this calendar are allowed to be publicised to the
networks, maybe.

Christian