Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Ben Short <be...@nexusalpha.com> on 2006/04/25 12:00:17 UTC

Maven Proxy

Hi,

I am trying to setup maven-proxy on my network and make all my clients
connect to it rather than go to the internet. But when I run mvn complie it
always connect to the internet server first. If maven can't find a
dependency on the internet server then it tries my maven-proxy.

I have added the following to my pom.

<repositories>
	<repository>
  		<id>internal</id>
      		<name>Internal Repos</name>
      		<layout>default</layout>
      		<url>http://internalhost:9999</url>
    	</repository>
</repositories>

I have also set the id element to central but it still uses the internet
server first.

Any ideas?

Ben

Re: Maven Proxy

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.
haha I think you're right. I have had a very very thought week so far
so forget it!

Re: Maven Proxy

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Maven Proxy

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.

Re: Maven Proxy

Posted by Clifton Craig <cc...@icsaward.com>.
On Wednesday 26 April 2006 5:41 pm, Alex Mayorga Adame wrote:
> Just for the record, what's the JIRA?

I submitted mavenproxy-46 for this bug.

Re: Maven Proxy

Posted by Alex Mayorga Adame <al...@yahoo.com>.
Just for the record, what's the JIRA?

Re: Maven Proxy

Posted by Clifton Craig <cc...@gbg.com>.
On Wednesday 26 April 2006 4:15 pm, Wayne Fay wrote:
> I hope you file this as a JIRA bug and include details for fixing it
> etc... Great job tracking down the problem.
>
> Wayne

Thanx Wayne. The issue is filed. I hope it doesn't bite anyone else too hard.
I've already had discussion with at least one other person on IRC who gave up
on Maven proxy because they couldn't get it set up correctly. I'd love to
supply some additional documentation for the project if only to help others
who may be suffering as I was.

Re: Maven Proxy

Posted by Wayne Fay <wa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Maven Proxy

Posted by Clifton Craig <cc...@icsaward.com>.

Re: Maven Proxy

Posted by Clifton Craig <cc...@gbg.com>.
I think I'm done now. I don't quite understand some of the quirks of maven2
with maven-proxy but in time I guess I'll learn them. After updating the
HTTPClient to work through our HTTP proxy I set my settings.xml to use
maven-proxy for both artifacts and plugins. I started getting the following
error again:
 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-resources-plugin' does not exist or no valid
version could be found
I couldn't understand this one because it looked like the proxy was getting no
activity. I fumbled a bit then decided to delete the maven-resources-plugin
from my repository. Once I did that, then things started working again. I
could've sworn I had a similar problem a while ago and took the same steps to
resolve it. It seems like once the maven-resources-plugin is downloaded from
a the official repository you can't get maven to use the local repo without
deleting it and having it re-fetched. In hind-site I probably could've used
the -U switch or something to force it to download again.anyhow I think all
is good now. Thank you everybody for your help!

RE: Maven Proxy

Posted by Ben Short <be...@nexusalpha.com>.
Craig,

I will post my setup to see if it helps you.

There are two differences that I can see, you are using the webapp
maven-proxy but I am running the stand alone maven-proxy. Also I don't have
an internet proxy.

My maven-proxy.properties

################ GLOBAL SETTINGS
# This is where maven-proxy stores files it has downloaded
repo.local.store=./repo

#The port to listen on - not used if loaded as a webapp
port=9999

#This is the base area that all files are loaded from. While it is possible
to leave this blank, this behaviour
#is deprecated and will be disabled in version 2.0.  There are too many
namespace conflicts caused by not using
#a prefix.
#The repository will be shown at http://localhost:9999/repository/
#for the .war loaded into a webapp server, the default prefix is
"repository" (edit the web.xml to change)
# As maven doesn't like a trailing slash, this address shouldn't have one
either.
prefix=repository

#This is the simple date format used to display the last modified date while
browsing the repository.
lastModifiedDateFormat=yyyy/MM/dd HH:mm:ss

################ SNAPSHOT HANDLING
#If you want the proxy to look for newer snapshots, set to true
snapshot.update=true

################ M2 METADATA HANDLING
#If you want the proxy to prevent looking for newer metadata, set to false
(default is true)
#metadata.update=false

################ M2 POM HANDLING
#If you want the proxy to look for newer POMs, set to true (default is
false)
pom.update=true

################ PROMOTION HANDLING
# ***** NOT CURRENTLY IMPLEMENTED *****
#Promotion describes the process by which new artifacts are loaded to global
maven-proxy repository.  It
# is designed to be used by "higher security installations" that do not want
to acquire artifacts from
# remote repositories without approval.
#
#If promotion handling is enabled, then the proxy will not download remote
artifacts without permission
# (local repositories with copy=false are considered to be local)
#
#Permission to download is granted via the Promotion menu which will be
enabled
#  when promotion handling is enabled.
#
#If promotion is false, artifacts are sourced from any repository as per
normal.
#
#Promotion and snapshots:  If promotion is enabled, snapshots are not
downloadable.  The concept of using
# a snapshot in a production build (which is primarily what promotion is
for) is counterintuitive.
##
promotion=false

################ WEB INTERFACE
# This defines the absolute URL the server should use to identify itself.
# This can often be determined automatically, but we recommend you specify
# it explicitly to prevent problems during startup.
# The prefix will be added to this for the actual repository
# i.e. proxy available at http://localhost:9999/, repository at
http://localhost:9999/repository
serverName=http://localhost:9999

#If true, the repository can be browsed
browsable=true

#If true, the repository can be searched
searchable=true

#Not currently implemented. Will allow webdav access to the repository at
some point.
webdav=true

#Stylesheet - if configured, will override the default stylesheet shipped
with maven-proxy - absolute URLs only
#eg.  /maven-proxy/style.css, http://www.example.com/style.css
stylesheet=/maven-proxy/style.css

#bgColor / bgColorHighlight are replaced in the built in stylesheet to
produce a simple color scheme.
#If a stylesheet is set, these are not used.
bgColor=#14B
bgColorHighlight=#94B

#rowColor / rowColorHighlight are replaced in the built in stylesheet to
produce a simple color scheme.
#If a stylesheet is set, these are not used.
rowColor=#CCF
rowColorHighlight=#DDF

################ PROXIES
#This is just a hack, it should auto discover them
#proxy.list=one,two,three

#Unauthenticated proxy
#proxy.one.host=proxy1.example.com
#proxy.one.port=3128

#Authenticated proxy
#proxy.two.host=proxy2.example.org
#proxy.two.port=80
#proxy.two.username=username2
#proxy.two.password=password2

#Authenticated proxy
#proxy.three.host=proxy3.example.net
#proxy.three.port=3129
#proxy.three.username=username3
#proxy.three.password=password3

################# REPOSITORIES
#This is not just a hack, it specifies the order repositories should be
checked
#Note that the proxy adds a "/" which is why the urls aren't suffixed with a
"/"
repo.list=local-repo,www-ibiblio-org,dist-codehaus-org

#local-store
# The local store represents a location that local jars you host can be
located.
# This could also be achieved by having a local http repository, but this is
less cumbersome
repo.local-repo.url=file:///./repo-local
repo.local-repo.description=Super Secret Custom Repository
#If copy is true, jars are copied from the store to the proxy-repo. Only
configurable for file:/// repos
repo.local-repo.copy=false
#If hardfail is true, any unexpected errors from the repository will cause
#the client download to fail (typically with a 500 error)
repo.local-repo.hardfail=true
#Don't cache a file repository
repo.local-repo.cache.period=0

#www.ibiblio.org
repo.www-ibiblio-org.url=http://www.ibiblio.org/maven2
repo.www-ibiblio-org.description=www.ibiblio.org
#repo.www-ibiblio-org.proxy=one
repo.www-ibiblio-org.hardfail=true
#Cache this repository for 1 hour
repo.www-ibiblio-org.cache.period=3600
repo.www-ibiblio-org.cache.failures=true

#dist.codehaus.org
repo.dist-codehaus-org.url=http://dist.codehaus.org
#repo.dist-codehaus-org.proxy=two
repo.dist-codehaus-org.hardfail=false
repo.dist-codehaus-org.cache.period=3600
repo.dist-codehaus-org.cache.failures=true

Posted by Clifton Craig <cc...@icsaward.com>.

Re: Maven Proxy

Posted by Clifton Craig <cc...@gbg.com>.
Ben,

You're welcome! I only wish I could help myself just as easily.. I think my
problem stems from HttpClient.

RE: Maven Proxy

Posted by Ben Short <be...@nexusalpha.com>.
Craig,

Re: Maven Proxy

Re: Maven Proxy

Posted by Clifton Craig <cc...@icsaward.com>.
Thank you much Tom,

I'm getting there but still stuck. So far I can get maven to pull artifacts
from maven-proxy while it pulls plugins from the official repo thanx to your
help. I still can't get the plugins to serve from maven-proxy. I have
confirmed that maven proxy still is not able to download artifacts from
Ibiblio. To confirm this I renamed the jaxen folder in maven-proxy's local
repo and ran my maven build on my client. It pull all of the rest of the
stuff from maven-proxy and failed when it tried to pull down jaxen. So in
summary, artifacts placed in maven-proxy's local repo folder can be served
while remote stuff from Ibiblio cannot be found. Also, my local maven build
has a problem finding the maven-resource-plugin when I clean my
~/.m2/repository. Even after using your profiles settings suggestions it
won't find the plugin. I have confirmed the plugin exists in the maven-proxy
repo too.

More info that may shed light on things: To load maven-proxy's local repo
folder I opened a split screen in (KDE) Konqueror and just dragged everything
from under my ~/.m2/repository folder into the maven-proxy local repository
folder. I understand there is a difference between maven-proxy's local store
and the local repository configured for it. The local store is the place
where it caches artifacts it finds on the internet and the local repository
is just an extra repository it can go for artifacts. I dropped my
~/.m2/repository stuff into the local repository not the local store. I also
noticed the hard fail property on the local repository is configured to true.
I'm wondering if that is somehow causing maven-proxy to not consider the
other repositories configured, Ibiblio and codehaus. I might try switchin the
order of the list to see if that helps any.

If you have any other ideas I could try I'd be more than appreciative. Thanx
again for all of your help!

Re: Maven Proxy

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.
On 4/26/06, Tom Joad <tj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Clifton,
> From repository point of view , plugin is an artifact as another. So I
> don't  understand why
> it can be downloaded. I use maven proxy standalone version and until
> know i don'have to declare something special about pluginrepository.
> But last week , I needed to use a snaphot version of
> maven-tomcat-plugin , I have to add profile like below in my
> settings.xml. So My maven-proxy is also a pluginrepository. (Don't ask
> me  what is difference betwenn repository and pluginrepository,  i
> have no answer now) .

A repository is only used for dependencies while a plugin repository
is only used for plugins. Those categories are used mainly to restrict
the use of a given repository, it doesn't change anything in the
repository implementation.

Re: Maven Proxy

Posted by Tom Joad <tj...@gmail.com>.
Hi Clifton,

Re: Maven Proxy

Posted by Clifton Craig <cc...@gbg.com>.
Tom,

Re: Maven Proxy

Posted by Alexandre Poitras <al...@gmail.com>.
By the way, if you want to be 100% sure Maven would never go on
ibiblio when it doesn't find a dependency, add this to your
setting.xml

  <repositories>
        <repository>
          <releases>
            <enabled>false</enabled>
          </releases>
           <id>central</id>
          <name>Maven Repository Switchboard</name>
          <layout>default</layout>
          <url>http://repo1.maven.org/maven2</url>
        </repository>
 </repositories>

Re: Maven Proxy

Posted by Clifton Craig <cc...@gbg.com>.
Tom,

Re: Maven Proxy

Posted by Tom Joad <tj...@gmail.com>.

Re: Maven Proxy

Posted by Clifton Craig <cc...@icsaward.com>.

Re: Maven Proxy

Posted by Tom Joad <tj...@gmail.com>.
On maven proxy config , you must set a proxy value to
repo.THE_MVNPUBLIC_REPOS.proxy key.
for instance

Re: Maven Proxy

Posted by Tom Joad <tj...@gmail.com>.
Maven proxy works exactly as your local repository , so transitive
dependency concept is
implemented. All compile scope dependency declared on pom.xml of
artifact will be downloaded.
 It is possible to deploy your jar by deploy:deploy-file
you just need to add inside settings.xml
<servers>
	<server>
		<id>YOURSERVER</id>
		<username>*****</username>
		<password>****</password>
		<filePermissions>664</filePermissions>
		<directoryPermissions>775</directoryPermissions>
		<privateKey>.ssh/known_hosts</privateKey>
	</server>
</servers>
Here is an example of command line I take on thread
mvn -X -P UnixServ deploy:deploy-file
                -DgroupId=weblogic
                 -DartifactId=ejbgen
                -Dversion=SNAPSHOT
                -Dpackaging=jar
                 -Dfile=ejbgen.jar
                -DrepositoryId=UnixServ-FTP
                -Durl=scp://myserver.com
where repositoryId must be  mapped   on the <id> under <server>(here
YOURSERVER) section of settings.xml.
please see
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-deploying-3rd-party-jars.html

For me it never works because of ssh conexion to my repository but i
saw on threads about it but it works fine. deploy:deploy-file create
.sha and .md5 files .

I ask value of pom update for clifton . I suggest him to put the value
to false so maven proxy doesn' t try to look for newer pom.
Tom,

RE: Maven Proxy

Re: Maven Proxy

Posted by Tom Joad <tj...@gmail.com>.

RE: Maven Proxy

Posted by Ben Short <be...@nexusalpha.com>.
My mistake, I didn't add repository to the end of the url.

Eg :

<mirrors>
         <mirror>
         <mirrorOf>central</mirrorOf>