Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Mark Mentovai <ma...@mentovai.com> on 2002/07/11 21:24:36 UTC

Re: XP clients not able to correctly view site served by Apache

Russ Henry wrote:
> I host a site for family and friends to interact with on a Pentium
> machine running 98se w/dsl. My other computers
> use 98se as well and have no problems in viewing any of its content.
> Just about everyone I know that accesses
> the site uses 98 and hasn't mentioned having problems. A relative of
> mine uses XPhome and cannot get the page to load
> properly or view any pages within it. I copied the files to my isp's
> server and the XP system had no problem
> viewing all the content.

This sounds like it may be an MTU issue, or a path MTU discovery issue.
Some "security measures" people take with innocent intentions actually
wind up having subtle negative impacts on communication.  Filtering
ICMP and running NAT are two things that could potentially interfere
with path MTU discovery.

To confirm that this is the problem, you and your relative could both
try dropping your MTU settings.

Mark