Posted to server-user@james.apache.org by Chad Lloyd <ch...@hotmail.com> on 2005/05/03 19:06:38 UTC

Newbie Remote manager problem

Sorry for the newbie question. I'm new to mail servers.

I've installed and am running james on server 2003. From xp I am trying to
send mail through outlook express to another user through james. From what I
can tell, the message is being sent, but I am not getting authenticated in
the james mail server.

I had added the user in Remote Manager:

adduser bobs youruncle

When I had the authentication problem, I thought that perhaps the user was
not properly added. So I went back into Remote Manager and entered:

edituser bobs

I got a message which said 'bobs does not exist'. So I tried deleting the
user:

deluser bobs

Again I got a message saying that bobs does not exist. So I listed the
users:

listusers

This gave me a list of users, of which bobs is one. In other words, listuser
is telling me that the user exists, but I am not able to delete or edit the
user using the user's name.

I'm thinking this is something simple, but cannot find any documentation for
Remote Manager at all, nor any mention of anyone else having a similar
problem. I'm thinking that if it cannot find 'bobs', then this explains why
it is not authenticating.

Could this have something to do with the domain setup in James? I'm not
certain that I have the domain set up correctly. I would have thought that
no matter how screwed up my domain setup was in config.xml, that Remote
Manager, operating locally, should still be able to see and access the
account.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Chad (new to mail servers)

to offer.
  Start enjoying all the benefits of MSNŽ Premium right now and get the
first two months FREE*.

RE: Newbie Remote manager problem

Posted by Chad Lloyd <ch...@hotmail.com>.
OK, I'm not sure why, but it's working now. I didn't change anything, I just
restarted james. I suspect that I needed to stop/restart james between the
time I originally edited the user and when I successfully edited the user.
Why? I don't know, but that's literally the only thing I did, and now it
works. I still can't get rid of the one gibbled user, but as this is my
first install I will work out all the other details, then flush james
completely, and reinstall again.

Currently I can receive mail, but not send it. I am playing around with the
smtp config, so hopefully will work it out soon.

Chad

>From: "Chad Lloyd" <ch...@hotmail.com>
>To: server-user@james.apache.org
>Subject: Newbie Remote manager problem
>Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 14:06:38 -0300
>
>Sorry for the newbie question. I'm new to mail servers.
>
>I've installed and am running james on server 2003. From xp I am trying to
>send mail through outlook express to another user through james. From what
>I can tell, the message is being sent, but I am not getting authenticated
>in the james mail server.
>
>I had added the user in Remote Manager:
>
>adduser bobs youruncle
>
>When I had the authentication problem, I thought that perhaps the user was
>not properly added. So I went back into Remote Manager and entered:
>
>edituser bobs
>
>I got a message which said 'bobs does not exist'. So I tried deleting the
>user:
>
>deluser bobs
>
>Again I got a message saying that bobs does not exist. So I listed the
>users:
>
>listusers
>
>This gave me a list of users, of which bobs is one. In other words,
>listuser is telling me that the user exists, but I am not able to delete or
>edit the user using the user's name.
>
>I'm thinking this is something simple, but cannot find any documentation
>for Remote Manager at all, nor any mention of anyone else having a similar
>problem. I'm thinking that if it cannot find 'bobs', then this explains why
>it is not authenticating.
>
>Could this have something to do with the domain setup in James? I'm not
>certain that I have the domain set up correctly. I would have thought that
>no matter how screwed up my domain setup was in config.xml, that Remote
>Manager, operating locally, should still be able to see and access the
>account.
>
>Any help here would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks.
>
>Chad (new to mail servers)

>Powerful Parental Controls Let your child discover the best the Internet
>has to offer.
>http://join.msn.com/?pgmarket=en-ca&page=byoa/prem&xAPID=1994&DI=1034&SU=http://hotmail.com/enca&HL=Market_MSNIS_Taglines
>  Start enjoying all the benefits of MSNŽ Premium right now and get the
>first two months FREE*.

Take charge with a pop-up guard built on patented MicrosoftŽ SmartScreen
Technology