Posted to c-users@xalan.apache.org by Paul Johnson <pd...@purplelogic.net> on 2002/03/09 12:50:54 UTC

Trying to HTML chunk DocBook XML

I'm new to Xalan and DocBook and am still just a 'user'. I have a simple
question I cannot find a simple answer to anywhere - so I'm wondering if
the problem is a Xalan setup issue or bug.

After successfully using Xalan 1.3 under RH Linux 6.0 to generate HTML from
DocBook XML using Norman W's DocBook XSL v1.48 with the following command
line...

Xalan -v -o myfile.html myfile.xml docbook/docbook-xsl-1.48/html/docbook.xsl

...I tried producing chunked HTML by simply referencing chunk.xsl in place
of docbook.xsl, without changing anything else, as so:

Xalan -v -o myfile.html myfile.xml docbook/docbook-xsl-1.48/html/chunk.xsl

I get the following error:

XSLT warning: Don't know how to chunk with Apache Software Foundation,
style tree node: xsl:message, source tree node: book (, line-1, column -1)

What does it all mean? Is the world coming to an end, or am I meant to do
something explicit with Xalan when I use chunk.xsl?

Cheers
Paul J

Re: Trying to HTML chunk DocBook XML

Posted by Juergen Hermann <jh...@web.de>.
On Sat, 09 Mar 2002 15:56:51 +0000, Paul Johnson wrote:

>Thanks Jürgen. Is that what "Add support for extension elements" covers
>under "To-do tasks for future Xalan-C++ releases" within the Release Notes?
>If so, any idea about its relative priority?

I guess David is the one to answer that. Generally, user pressure (a/k/a
nicely asking for it) helps to raise priorities. Code (patches) help more. ;)

>In the meantime would you mind me asking how you would produce chunked HTML
>DocBook?

Fast way: use another processor, like XT or Saxon.

Less fast way: implement extension elements and do us all a favour. :)

Ciao, Jürgen

Re: Trying to HTML chunk DocBook XML

Posted by Paul Johnson <pd...@purplelogic.net>.
> >What does it all mean? Is the world coming to an end, or am I meant to do
> >something explicit with Xalan when I use chunk.xsl?
>
>It tells you that Xalan does not support extension elements at all,
>including the one needed for chunking.
>
>Ciao, Jürgen

Thanks Jürgen. Is that what "Add support for extension elements" covers
under "To-do tasks for future Xalan-C++ releases" within the Release Notes?
If so, any idea about its relative priority?

In the meantime would you mind me asking how you would produce chunked HTML
DocBook?

Thanks again

Posted by Juergen Hermann <jh...@web.de>.