Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Justin Mason <jm...@jmason.org> on 2007/06/12 13:45:13 UTC

Re: ANNOUNCE: Apache SpamAssassin 3.2.1 available

Daniel J McDonald writes:
> On Mon, 2007-06-11 at 21:09 -0400, Rose, Bobby wrote:
> > I'm seeing the same kind of messages mentioned after compiling from
> > source on Redhat ES4 and running make test.
>
> I'm wondering if this is the reason:
> + make FULLPERL=/usr/bin/perl test
> /usr/bin/perl5.8.7 build/mkrules --exit_on_no_src --src rulesrc --out
> rules --manifest MANIFEST --manifestskip MANIFEST.SKIP
> no source directory found: exiting

nope, that can be ignored.

> I don't see any other compilation errors.  The build process complained
> about a few missing packages at the beginning Razor2, Mail::DKIM, and
> Encode::Detect.  I was able to install all of those other than
> Encode::Detect (I can't get the perl-Encode-Detect srpm to recompile,
> and I can't figure out what pre-requisites it is missing, since it
> complained about not having ExtUtils::CBuilder, but installing that
> didn't seem to mollify it).
>
> I built 3.2.0 on this same box just a couple of weeks ago, and didn't
> see anything in the release notes, or the bugs that I read, telling me
> that I would need to make major changes, so I'm flummoxed.

There should be no major changes since 3.2.0 that'd require that...
can you post the log files from t/log/d.spamc_optC/* ?

--j.

--j.

Posted by "Tom Q. Citizen" <to...@bay-online-media.com>.

Posted by Jake Richter <ja...@richterscale.org>.
Jake Richter <jake <at> richterscale.org> writes:
> Is the workaround y'all are suggesting that the SA make be done as a non-root
> user, but the install be done as root in my situation?
>[snip]

To answer my own question: Yes. This works fine.

Jake

Re: ANNOUNCE: Apache SpamAssassin 3.2.1 available

Posted by Jake Richter <ja...@richterscale.org>.
Daniel J McDonald <dan.mcdonald <at> austinenergy.com> writes:

> On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 16:07 -0400, Rosenbaum, Larry M. wrote:
> > > From: Duncan Hill [mailto:spamassassin <at> cricalix.net]

> > Very interesting, but I ran into this problem on a Solaris system and I
> > wasn't trying to build an RPM.  I was just trying to build SA from
> > source with the usual
> >
> > perl Makefile.PL
> > make
> > make test (this step gave errors when run as root)
> >
> > Does the same logic apply when RPMs are not involved?
>
> Yes, unless your umask is 666. When it detects the root user, it tries
> to change to "nobody".  since Nobody can't write in the t/log/*
> directories, the test fails.

Pardon my ignorance, but for those of us who have always installed SA as root,
this new behavior in 3.2.1 appears to be a bit of a bug (and I'm just using the
SA distribution the same way Larry is using - no RPM is being built).

Is the workaround y'all are suggesting that the SA make be done as a non-root
user, but the install be done as root in my situation?

In other words,

As non-root user:

    perl Makefile.PL
    make
    make test

As root:

    make install

Thanks,

Jake

RE: ANNOUNCE: Apache SpamAssassin 3.2.1 available

Posted by Daniel J McDonald <da...@austinenergy.com>.

Posted by "Rosenbaum, Larry M." <ro...@ornl.gov>.

Posted by Duncan Hill <sp...@cricalix.net>.

Posted by Daniel J McDonald <da...@austinenergy.com>.
On Tue, 2007-06-12 at 12:45 +0100, Justin Mason wrote:
> Daniel J McDonald writes:
> > On Mon, 2007-06-11 at 21:09 -0400, Rose, Bobby wrote:
> > > I'm seeing the same kind of messages mentioned after compiling from
> > > source on Redhat ES4 and running make test.
> >
> > I'm wondering if this is the reason:
> > + make FULLPERL=/usr/bin/perl test
> > /usr/bin/perl5.8.7 build/mkrules --exit_on_no_src --src rulesrc --out
> > rules --manifest MANIFEST --manifestskip MANIFEST.SKIP
> > no source directory found: exiting
>
> nope, that can be ignored.
>
> > I don't see any other compilation errors.  The build process complained
> > about a few missing packages at the beginning Razor2, Mail::DKIM, and
> > Encode::Detect.  I was able to install all of those other than
> > Encode::Detect (I can't get the perl-Encode-Detect srpm to recompile,
> > and I can't figure out what pre-requisites it is missing, since it
> > complained about not having ExtUtils::CBuilder, but installing that
> > didn't seem to mollify it).
> >
> > I built 3.2.0 on this same box just a couple of weeks ago, and didn't
> > see anything in the release notes, or the bugs that I read, telling me
> > that I would need to make major changes, so I'm flummoxed.
>
> There should be no major changes since 3.2.0 that'd require that...
> can you post the log files from t/log/d.spamc_optC/* ?

I think the major error in the log files is:
[27488] warn: spamd: still running as root: user not specified with -u,
not found, or set to root, falling back to nobody
[27488] warn: spamd: bayes: locker: safe_lock: cannot create tmp
lockfile ./log/user_state/bayes.lock.ldap.austin-energy.net.27488
for ./log/user_state/bayes.lock: Permission denied