Posted to dev@pivot.apache.org by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com> on 2012/11/21 09:56:26 UTC

Update requirements to Java 7 for Pivot 2.1

Hi all,
what do you think for Pivot 2.1 if we move to Java 7 as the required
Java version (and drop Java 6 compatibility) ?
Now Java 7 starts to be mature (and Java 6 soon will be in End-of-Life) ...

So we could drop some workarounds for Java 6, and start to use some
new features (and mainly start to get many new fixes, no backported in
Java 6).

Comments ?

Bye,
Sandro

Re: Update requirements to Java 7 for Pivot 2.1

Posted by Sandro Martini <sa...@gmail.com>.
Hi Roger,

> End of Life for Java 6 appears to be after February 2013
> (http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html), so presumably if
> we are targeting 2.1 for after that time this would be reasonable.

Ok, I'll open a JIRA issue for this, to not forget ...

> I wasn't aware that we had any workarounds for Java 6....
Yes, we have few workarounds, but small things, don't worry :-) .
To me the most important thing seems that in Java 6 Oracle is no more
backporting some fixes, this is one of real reasons for this
migration.

Thanks for your feedback.

Bye

Re: Update requirements to Java 7 for Pivot 2.1

Posted by Roger and Beth Whitcomb <Ro...@rbwhitcomb.com>.
On 11/21/12 12:56 AM, Sandro Martini wrote:
> Hi all,
> what do you think for Pivot 2.1 if we move to Java 7 as the required
> Java version (and drop Java 6 compatibility) ?
> Now Java 7 starts to be mature (and Java 6 soon will be in End-of-Life) ...
End of Life for Java 6 appears to be after February 2013
(http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/eol-135779.html), so presumably
if we are targeting 2.1 for after that time this would be reasonable.

> So we could drop some workarounds for Java 6, and start to use some
> new features (and mainly start to get many new fixes, no backported in
> Java 6).

I wasn't aware that we had any workarounds for Java 6....
> Comments ?
>
> Bye,
> Sandro

~Roger Whitcomb