Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Michael Phillips <mp...@hotmail.com> on 2014/11/15 02:13:09 UTC

Server 2012 R2 Bug on CS 4.4.0 with vmware hypervisor

So I was unable to add a data disk to my vm running server 2012 R2 standard, so I started tracking down the issue and I think I found it. So when provisioning a vm running server 2012 R2, CS creates the VM with the "LSI Logic Parallel" adapter. It looks like the only reason the machine is even able to boot is becuase the ROOT drive is set to be an IDE drive, specifically (IDE 0:1). Any data disks added to the same machine are set as SCSI drives. So if I added one data disk it would be listed as SCSI 0:0. So it seems the mismatch is between the controller type CS is using and the disk type. So this bring me to the major question at hand.
For server 2012 R2 vmware natively uses the "LSI Logic SAS" controller. Why in the world is CS not using the same controller, and is there a way around this?

RE: Server 2012 R2 Bug on CS 4.4.0 with vmware hypervisor

Posted by Sateesh Chodapuneedi <sa...@citrix.com>.

Hi,

I am working on implementation of this feature based on functional specification [2] and followed by proposal thread [1] below.
All changes are being tracked using JIRA ticket [3] using ACS branch 'vmware-disk-controllers'

[1] http://markmail.org/thread/en4skoqu4mbitacs
[2] Short link for functional specification document - https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/x/vI5cAg
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/CLOUDSTACK-4787

Regards,
Sateesh

Posted by Sateesh Chodapuneedi <sa...@citrix.com>.
Hi Michael,

Posted by Michael Phillips <mp...@hotmail.com>.
OK, so I 100% confirmed that the issue is with the controller type being used by cloudstack. Microsoft removed the drivers for the LSILogicParallel controller from server 2012 R2. As mentioned earlier the only reason the server even boots is because cloudstack is adding the boot drive as an IDE device. Personally I think that's bad practice as well.  So I got this to work by downloading the drivers from LSI's website then installing them in the server. Once I did that it found the controller, and I was able to use the data disk. Although I got this to work, I would be hesitant in using this in production for the following reasons. 1-Microsoft removed the driver, so this is an unsupported config. 2-The only driver LSI has for this device is for 2008x64, and it just so happens to work, so once again it's an unsupported config. 3-I have read a few articles online stating that this controller does not perform as well as the newer LSILogicSAS version. Take a look at the following screenshots for further detail https://www.dropbox.com/s/fxc1vneg787stn4/1-Controller%20Type.PNG?dl=0  https://www.dropbox.com/s/h2lujnol6am7tg7/2-No%20Driver.PNG?dl=0   https://www.dropbox.com/s/5c5jg61jz43w5sq/3-Driver%20Added.PNG?dl=0  https://www.dropbox.com/s/ypfdkvvwv7f9ex4/4-Disk%20Found.PNG?dl=0The first screen shot simply shows that CS added the controller type as a LSI Logic Parallel. The 2nd screen shot shows that server 2012 R2 does not have the drivers by default. The 3rd screen shot shows the controller after I installed the driver. The 4th screen shot show that the system found the drive after the drivers were installed.
As far as I am concerned this controller selection bug with server 2012 r2 is a major issue, which renders this OS unusable in a production environment for the reasons I listed above. How can we get the heat turned up on this to get this corrected? It sounds like there is already a JIRA ticket opened, does anyone know the ticket number?

Posted by Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michael Phillips <mp...@hotmail.com>.
further clarification; CS adds the data disk to the VM but since it's listed as SCSI device 0:0, the vm is unable to find it when you do a disk rescan.
I hope this makes sense...