Posted to dev@iceberg.apache.org by Anton Okolnychyi <ao...@apple.com.INVALID> on 2019/04/10 08:59:42 UTC

Re: Style guidelines proposal for Iceberg

Thanks for this effort, Matt!

I would be interested to help applying this throughout the code base. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Cheers,
Anton

Posted by RD <rd...@gmail.com>.
+1 . I can help out too.

-R

From: Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com>
Date: Wednesday, April 10, 2019 at 9:30 AM
To: Matt Cheah <mc...@palantir.com>
Cc: Anton Okolnychyi <ao...@apple.com>, "dev@iceberg.apache.org" <de...@iceberg.apache.org>
Subject: Re: Style guidelines proposal for Iceberg

That would be great – right now we mostly need to merge https://github.com/apache/incubator-iceberg/pull/152 [github.com] so it would be great to get that reviewed. Once we’ve done that we can proceed to apply the style guidelines to the other projects. Here’s an example of applying them to iceberg-core: https://github.com/apache/incubator-iceberg/pull/153 [github.com]

From: Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com>
Date: Friday, March 22, 2019 at 9:27 AM
To: Matt Cheah <mc...@palantir.com>
Cc: "dev@iceberg.apache.org" <de...@iceberg.apache.org>

Thanks for working on this, Matt! If I understand correctly, the checks are run as part of the build, so Travis CI builds will fail for style violations?

Where should we discuss the specific conventions? Would you prefer in this thread or on the PR?

On Thu, Mar 21, 2019 at 5:07 PM Matt Cheah <mc...@palantir.com> wrote:

Hi everyone,

A prerequisite for us to release Iceberg is to have proper style guidelines that are enforced in continuous integration. I would like to propose adding code linting using an open-source linting toolkit called Baseline [github.com].

I have submitted a pull request [github.com] to integrate Baseline with the iceberg-api module. In that pull request, I describe some of the style conventions that were adopted that were not enforced before, as well as cases in which we deviate from Baseline’s style guidelines in favor of Iceberg’s prior opinions.

Posted by Ryan Blue <rb...@netflix.com.INVALID>.

--
Ryan Blue
Software Engineer

Re: Style guidelines proposal for Iceberg

Posted by Matt Cheah <mc...@palantir.com>.
That would be great – right now we mostly need to merge https://github.com/apache/incubator-iceberg/pull/152 so it would be great to get that reviewed. Once we’ve done that we can proceed to apply the style guidelines to the other projects. Here’s an example of applying them to iceberg-core: https://github.com/apache/incubator-iceberg/pull/153