Posted to users@netbeans.apache.org by Thomas Wolf <tj...@gmail.com> on 2021/03/01 23:28:28 UTC

What Project should I use if I have existing source?

Hi,
I guess I haven’t tried to create a  project in a long time.  Today, I had
the need to, but an option that has always been available in the past (NB
8?) - “Java application with existing source” doesn’t seem to exist in
12.2.  Is there an equivalent in ant, gradle, or maven projects?  I saw an
Java FX project with existing source (but I don’t use FX) as well as a
couple enterprise project options that don’t really correspond to the plain
vanilla POJO application that my source represents.

Any pointers would be much appreciated. (I’d prefer an ant-based project
type if there is one).

Best,
Tom Wolf

Re: What Project should I use if I have existing source?

Posted by "Mark A. Flacy" <mf...@verizon.net.INVALID>.
I would then wonder how that existing project was being built.

Depending upon how you wanted to move forward, you could move the source into
the directory structure that both maven and gradle expect or you could hand-
write the build.xml file that ant would use.

--
Mark A. Flacy
mflacy@verizon.net

Posted by Neil C Smith <ne...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 5 Mar 2021 at 15:35, Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Silly flavor of that, but what if there is an existing project without Ant or any applicable build (maven or gradle) yet?

If you don't want Ant, then I guess create an empty project and copy
sources in is the way?  Of course, depends if you want any of those 3
build systems at all!  I've been toying with the idea of a
configuration only Java project, which I don't think we have a way to
do?  ie. XML file + UI for configuring folders and matching actions to
process calls - mainly because I want to play around with Bach in
NetBeans.

Best wishes,

Neil

Re: What Project should I use if I have existing source?

Posted by Eric Bresie <eb...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Mark A. Flacy" <mf...@verizon.net.INVALID>.
Greetings,

Posted by Thomas Wolf <tj...@gmail.com>.
 Never mind - I was stupidly not seeing it right at the “java with Ant”
level - I only looked at the subfolders :-(
Sorry about wasting people’s time.
tom

Posted by Lisa Ruby <lb...@protonmail.com.INVALID>.
Hi Tom,

Kind of sounds like this isn't what you need, but if you worked with
your source in an older version of Netbeans and want to move it to
Netbeans 12.2, you can export the project from the old version of
Netbeans and then import it into 12.2. The export and import options are
under the File menu item.

If you don't have the source in project in an older version of Netbeans,
you can create a New Project and select 'Java with Ant', and in the
right box select 'Java Application'. You don't have to select one of the
sub options under 'Java with Ant'.  Uncheck the box for Create Main
Class on the second screen. To get your source into the project you can
copy it into the project src directory, or you can remove that directory
and in the Project Properties use the Add Folder option for Sources to
add your folder of source code. You'll also have to add your Main Class
to Run under Project Properties, and add any libraries you need to the
Project Properties. There may be a few other things you'll have to do in
Properties.  I did this with a project I originally created in Netbeans 8.

Lisa Ruby