Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Andreas L Delmelle <a_...@pandora.be> on 2005/11/25 01:21:12 UTC

Whitespace-handling rework :: Incorrect layout tests?

Hi all,

While toying around with moving Block.handleWhitespace() elsewhere, I
ended up thoroughly revising the whole lot (more on this to follow).
FTM, the point is that my current revised version passes all layout
tests apart from the following:

leader_text-align.xml
leader_toc.xml

Both for the reason that a space is retained where the checks seem to
indicate that they are expected to be dropped. At least, that's what
I think...

For the first:

<fo:leader ... />
some text

A space should be retained here from the linefeed after fo:leader.

The second:

...</fo:basic-link>
<fo:leader ... />

A space should be retained here from the linefeed between the two
elements.

If I interpret the tests correctly, they don't expect that space in
between...?

WDYT?

Cheers,

Andreas

Re: Whitespace-handling rework :: Incorrect layout tests?

Posted by Manuel Mall <mm...@arcus.com.au>.
On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 08:21 am, Andreas L Delmelle wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> While toying around with moving Block.handleWhitespace() elsewhere, I
> ended up thoroughly revising the whole lot (more on this to follow).
> FTM, the point is that my current revised version passes all layout
> tests apart from the following:
>
> leader_text-align.xml
> leader_toc.xml
>
> Both for the reason that a space is retained where the checks seem to
> indicate that they are expected to be dropped. At least, that's what
> I think...
>
> For the first:
>
> <fo:leader ... />
> some text
>
> A space should be retained here from the linefeed after fo:leader.
>
> The second:
>
> ...</fo:basic-link>
> <fo:leader ... />
>
> A space should be retained here from the linefeed between the two
> elements.
>
> If I interpret the tests correctly, they don't expect that space in
> between...?
>

> WDYT?

While I am not 100% sure that it is in line with user expectations after
comparing it to the behaviour of other XSL-FO implementations I agree
that the space should be retained.

Actually we currently do retain the space for:
<fo:block>
  <fo:leader leader-pattern="use-content">x</fo:leader>
</fo:block>

but not for other leader patterns. So there is an inconsistency in the
system already.

> Cheers,
>
> Andreas

Manuel