Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by ru...@grunt.berkeley.edu on 2005/12/13 02:29:12 UTC

setup for web designers?

How do people set up their tomcat so that the web designers can work on the
static content and the programmers can work on the jsp stuff without
stepping on each other's toes?

In my case the web designers have already been working with apache with
their files in /usr/local/apache/htdocs.

My first thought is to put tomcat behind apache with mod_jk but after some
minimal testing I discovered that apache server side includes don't work;
for example, if the html from my jsp has <!--#include
virtual="/header.html"--> that line isn't replaced and is sent to the
browser.

Re: setup for web designers?

Posted by Mark Phillips <ma...@phillipsmarketing.biz>.
I have never tested the two configurations, so your information is very
helpful. I was just going on what the tomcat docs say.

Mark

RE: setup for web designers?

Posted by JT Neville <jt...@spaceghost.net>.

Re: setup for web designers?

Posted by Mark Phillips <ma...@phillipsmarketing.biz>.
Rusty,

From what I have read, you get better performance if you let tomcat serve the

Re: setup for web designers?

Posted by Mark Phillips <ma...@phillipsmarketing.biz>.
Try using <%@ include file="header.html" %> instead.

Mark

On Monday 12 December 2005 06:29 pm, rusty+tomcat@grunt.berkeley.edu wrote:
> How do people set up their tomcat so that the web designers can work on the
> static content and the programmers can work on the jsp stuff without
> stepping on each other's toes?
>
> In my case the web designers have already been working with apache with
> their files in /usr/local/apache/htdocs.
>
> My first thought is to put tomcat behind apache with mod_jk but after some
> minimal testing I discovered that apache server side includes don't work;
> for example, if the html from my jsp has <!--#include
> virtual="/header.html"--> that line isn't replaced and is sent to the
> browser.

Mark Phillips
Phillips Marketing, Inc

Re: setup for web designers?

Posted by Hassan Schroeder <ha...@webtuitive.com>.
rusty+tomcat@grunt.berkeley.edu wrote:
> How do people set up their tomcat so that the web designers can work on
> the static content and the programmers can work on the jsp stuff without
> stepping on each other's toes?
>
> In my case the web designers have already been working with apache with
> their files in /usr/local/apache/htdocs.
>
> My first thought is to put tomcat behind apache with mod_jk but after
> some minimal testing I discovered that apache server side includes don't
> work; for example, if the html from my jsp has <!--#include
> virtual="/header.html"--> that line isn't replaced and is sent to the
> browser.

Either Read The Fine Manual :-)

  <http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/ssi-howto.html>

:: to enable SSI in Tomcat, or use a JSP (or JSTL) include.

                          dream.  code.