Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org> on 2020/01/06 20:11:51 UTC

[IP CLEARANCE] Maven Wrapper

Apache Maven received a code donation for the Maven Wrapper

http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/maven-wrapper.html

All sources are under Apache License 2.

Most likely most of the maven-wrapper code and some parts of the takari-maven-plugin will end up in Maven (core), so there will
no new separate repository for this code.

Next all headers will be updated according to ASF standards.

Please vote to approve this contribution. Lazy consensus applies. If no -1
votes are cast within the next 72 hours, the vote passes.

Regards,

Robert

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Maven Wrapper

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Dropping private@ have a mix of public and private lists can cause issues.

> And vote of acceptance
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/97054be79cede23c792c1db91f0fd73129ce969fea26bd12a1bf38f5%40%3Cprivate.maven.apache.org%3E

It seems a little odd this was done on the private list. While only PMC votes are binding, how would you know that no other community members would object to the transfer? Has there been a public discussion about the transfer?

Thanks,
Justin

Re: Fwd: [IP CLEARANCE] Maven Wrapper

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
And vote of acceptance
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/97054be79cede23c792c1db91f0fd73129ce969fea26bd12a1bf38f5%40%3Cprivate.maven.apache.org%3E

On 6-1-2020 22:06:52, Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org> wrote:
Distribution rights:
https://github.com/takari/maven-wrapper/blob/master/LICENSE.txt

https://github.com/takari/takari-maven-plugin/blob/master/LICENSE.txt

Confirmed IP Clearance from all active committers:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/7c8fc7fa0fc677c24504d948d7d71e6cdebdb952c9ca0a2183460726%40%3Cprivate.maven.apache.org%3E

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/bd38cce5904d805b8526593996fcfec17ba4c8b6d8a18d66261d072c%40%3Cprivate.maven.apache.org%3E

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/00102361655d35ea939d44e522d9dd1fb4894af20ac418a1ef5973be%40%3Cprivate.maven.apache.org%3E

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/7459ee80b46bef0c2f4640700a3ee4bad46ae64bb3dad54f8c7896a3%40%3Cprivate.maven.apache.org%3E

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/0a9e690562ffe25ede5b601600e6b7edd5f1c70a2aaffddabbf5f85f%40%3Cprivate.maven.apache.org%3E

with this we have secured all IP for both repositories.

The repositories of takari.io are owned by Walmart Labs. We had good conversation with them and they were willing to donate.
However, they had trouble with the text of the clearance document. Legal@ASF was involved to help, but still without result.
Walmart Labs is aware of the situation, and said that if needed they could try to get the signatures.

I hope this answers your questions.
Robert
On 6-1-2020 21:37:35, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
forwarding to maven private list as I forgot to CC

The IP clearance form is also missing a link to vote of acceptance

Begin forwarded message:

From: Justin Mclean <justin@classsoftware.com [mailto:justin@classsoftware.com]>

Subject: Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Maven Wrapper

Date: 7 January 2020 at 7:32:18 am AEDT

To: general@incubator.apache.org [mailto:general@incubator.apache.org]

Hi,

I don’t see that distribution rights have been confirmed. i.e Has takari (see takari.io [http://takari.io]) given permission to do this? I assume that takari is the owner of the code? If not does it belong to all of the contributors? If that’s the case have they aggreed to this?

Thanks,.
Justin

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Maven Wrapper

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
On 6-1-2020 22:14:39, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
Hi,

Can you add the information the IP clearance form please, currently it is incomplete.

Distribution rights:
https://github.com/takari/maven-wrapper/blob/master/LICENSE.txt [https://github.com/takari/maven-wrapper/blob/master/LICENSE.txt]

https://github.com/takari/takari-maven-plugin/blob/master/LICENSE.txt [https://github.com/takari/takari-maven-plugin/blob/master/LICENSE.txt]

While the ASF license allows this, we generally want explicit permission from the owners.
Robert Scholte:
Who are the owners here? We have explicit clearance from all active contributors. IIUC they should at least provide explicit permission.
And IIUC takari is only the organisation hosting these repositories, that doesn't make them the owners.

The repositories of takari.io [http://takari.io] are owned by Walmart Labs. We had good conversation with them and they were willing to donate.
However, they had trouble with the text of the clearance document. Legal@ASF was involved to help, but still without result.

That is a concern. Has legal@approved that the code could be transferred to the ASF without that document?
Robert Scholte:
No they haven't, I'll add them to the thread.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Maven Wrapper

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Re: [RESULT] [IP CLEARANCE] Maven Wrapper

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

IMO we’ve already had the vote so no need to do it again.

> Guess after releasing that as apache once and updating the maven-wrapper scripts accordingly we can finally get rid of some of the controversial bits in our releases.

Unless you include the jar :-)

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Great ... :-)

really looking forward to finally having this resolved AND the maven-wrapper itself as part of the Maven project.
Guess after releasing that as apache once and updating the maven-wrapper scripts accordingly we can finally get rid of some of the controversial bits in our releases.

Chris

Am 09.02.20, 13:12 schrieb "Robert Scholte" <rf...@apache.org>:

    I've updated incubator page[1].

    Do we still need a vote to complete the process?

    There was already an agreement on maven-wrapper, there was only discussion about the maven-wrapper-plugin, which has been removed from the page.

    thanks,
    Robert

    [1] http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/maven-wrapper.html

    On 7-2-2020 20:06:19, Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org> wrote:
    After sharing the information with the Maven PMC, we want to do the following:

    - accept Maven wrapper.
    - don't wait for Walmart to hand over a SGA for the wrapper-plugin. Instead we will start to write our own maven-wrapper-plugin. This is actually a very small plugin, won't require a lot of effort to get it running.

    thanks,
    Robert
    On 4-2-2020 19:28:03, Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org> wrote:
    Thanks John, I'll share this with the PMC and we'll let you now what we'll decide.

    Robert
    On 4-2-2020 17:07:31, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:
    To be very explicit here:

    - The code for the maven wrapper is fine, it's already apache licensed and
    has no NOTICE file declared with it, so would be perfectly fine to import.
    ICLA's would be nice, but not required, and adding a NOTICE indicating the
    origination of parts of it would also be nice but not required.
    - The code for the Takari Maven Plugin is EPLv1 and requires an SGA to
    change the license to apache license.

    I'd recommend the Maven PMC take this back and decide if importing just the
    wrapper is enough.

    John

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Christofer Dutz <ch...@c-ware.de>.
Hi all,

how about just adding the maven-wrapper itself ... the maven plugin isn't even needed.
I have been using the maven-wrapper in almost every project, however the plugin I have never.

It's just a little tool to add the cmd, sh files as well as some properties.
I think we could even just whip up a small archive containing this information and make that available.

And if we want to I think I'd whip up a maven plugin that automates this in just an hour or so.

So I would suggest to add the maven wrapper and just skip the maven plugin.

Chris

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
To be very explicit here:

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.

Posted by David Nalley <da...@gnsa.us>.

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
Hi Justin,

No, we've got agreements from all significant contributors and I assumed it was clear that this was all we needed. "The takari CLA only grants Takari and hence also Walmart equal access to the code. As such the contributors all own copyright to the code and can assign to Apache."

Even though my contact with Walmart could try to finish it on their side, she also said it has no priority because it isn't related to the Walmart brand, so it is uncertain if or when this can happen.

I've got this feeling we're going in circles.

Hence I asked a week ago explicitly what we are waiting for.

Due to no answers I saw only one result: vote succeeded by lazy consensus.

If I came to the wrong conclusion, please be clear what to do next,

thanks,
Robert
On 3-2-2020 20:37:09, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
Hi,

> Vote succeeded by lazy consensus.

Has Walmart Labs siogned an SGA?

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
Vote succeeded by lazy consensus.

I will continue the process.

thanks,
Robert

On 24-1-2020 11:05:15, Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org> wrote:
Although there wasn't an explicit -1, I noticed some concerns.
I would like to complete the process properly so would like to see from John and Justin if we can continue?
If not, what do you expect before finishing this process?

regards,
Robert

On 10-1-2020 16:03:16, Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org> wrote:
I don't want to split these IP clearances. It doesn't make sense to adopt one without the other.

Let me try to get in contact with Walmart Labs to get an SGA for the Takari Maven Wrapper.

thanks.
Robert

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/7c8fc7fa0fc677c24504d948d7d71e6cdebdb952c9ca0a2183460726%40%3Cprivate.maven.apache.org%3E [https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/7c8fc7fa0fc677c24504d948d7d71e6cdebdb952c9ca0a2183460726%40%3Cprivate.maven.apache.org%3E]

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/bd38cce5904d805b8526593996fcfec17ba4c8b6d8a18d66261d072c%40%3Cprivate.maven.apache.org%3E [https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/bd38cce5904d805b8526593996fcfec17ba4c8b6d8a18d66261d072c%40%3Cprivate.maven.apache.org%3E]

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/00102361655d35ea939d44e522d9dd1fb4894af20ac418a1ef5973be%40%3Cprivate.maven.apache.org%3E [https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/00102361655d35ea939d44e522d9dd1fb4894af20ac418a1ef5973be%40%3Cprivate.maven.apache.org%3E]

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/7459ee80b46bef0c2f4640700a3ee4bad46ae64bb3dad54f8c7896a3%40%3Cprivate.maven.apache.org%3E [https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/7459ee80b46bef0c2f4640700a3ee4bad46ae64bb3dad54f8c7896a3%40%3Cprivate.maven.apache.org%3E]

https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/0a9e690562ffe25ede5b601600e6b7edd5f1c70a2aaffddabbf5f85f%40%3Cprivate.maven.apache.org%3E [https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/0a9e690562ffe25ede5b601600e6b7edd5f1c70a2aaffddabbf5f85f%40%3Cprivate.maven.apache.org%3E]

1. https://github.com/takari/maven-wrapper/graphs/contributors [https://github.com/takari/maven-wrapper/graphs/contributors]
2. https://github.com/takari/takari-maven-plugin [https://github.com/takari/takari-maven-plugin]

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Maven Wrapper

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
HI,

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

I don’t see that distribution rights have been confirmed. i.e Has takari (see takari.io) given permission to do this? I assume that takari is the owner of the code? If not does it belong to all of the contributors? If that’s the case have they aggreed to this?

Thanks,.
Justin

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Maven Wrapper

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
On 06.01.20 21:11, Robert Scholte wrote:
> Apache Maven received a code donation for the Maven Wrapper
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/maven-wrapper.html
>
> All sources are under Apache License 2.
>
> Most likely most of the maven-wrapper code and some parts of the
> takari-maven-plugin will end up in Maven (core), so there will
> no new separate repository for this code.
>
> Next all headers will be updated according to ASF standards.
>
> Please vote to approve this contribution. Lazy consensus applies. If no -1
> votes are cast within the next 72 hours, the vote passes.

+1 from me

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise