Posted to c-dev@xerces.apache.org by Dean Roddey <dr...@charmedquark.com> on 2000/12/12 23:02:33 UTC

Re: PE refs in internal subset

PE refs in the internal subset cannot be within other markup. I.e. they have
to contain full markup. So you can use them to put in entire declarations,
but you can't use them within declarations. The reason for this, as best I
can tell, is that its far more reasonable to try to ignore full markup (if
the external subset isn't aviailable), but you could never ignore them
inside markup, becuase it would make that markup invalid. The same rules
apply to general entities in the XML file. It has to contain full markup, so
that it could reasonably be ignored if the external subset that defined it
wasn't available. The resulting XML tree might not be what you thought, but
at least the file could be parsed.

Dean Roddey
The CIDLib C++ Frameworks
Charmed Quark Software
droddey@charmedquark.com
http://www.charmedquark.com

"It takes two buttocks to make friction"
    - African Proverb