Posted to users@maven.apache.org by david delbecq <da...@oma.be> on 2008/03/12 23:11:59 UTC

Adding "goals" to pom.xml

Hello,

still in process of upgrading to maven2 here :)

Most of the work is taking good shape, thanks to informations on this ML.

I have a question regarding a few of our goals.

We have, for a war project, added a few goals that quickly do a copy of
a part of webapp to tomcat (instead of building war or even compile).
This is a way to allow easy test of jsp / pictures / css. Just patch a
life tomcat with new files. We do this with such a command in maven 1

maven debug_deploy:jsp
maven debug_deploy:resources

those goals are just simple ant copy tasks in maven.xml.

What would be the recommanded way to convert this. Should i create a
custom plugin that adds those targets to maven2, and include plugin in
pom.xml, or is there a way to add targets to pom.xml? Should i use the
ant plugin, but then how do i link it to a target instead of a phase?

RE: Adding "goals" to pom.xml

Posted by ni...@planet.nl.
I know the tomcat plugin can turn your src/main/webapp into a exploded tomcat project. So every change to jsp files will be picked up without having to do anything.

Deploying an in-place WAR directory

To avoid copying resources to the build directory, the webapp source directory can be deployed to Tomcat by typing:

mvn war:inplace tomcat:inplace

http://mojo.codehaus.org/tomcat-maven-plugin/deployment.html#Deploying%20an%20in-place%20WAR%20directory

Hth,

Nick S.

Posted by David Delbecq <de...@oma.be>.
Hi Stefan,

Re: Adding "goals" to pom.xml

Posted by VUB Stefan Seidel <ss...@vub.de>.
Hi David,

have a look at the plugin lists from maven.apache.org and
mojo.codehaus.org. There you will find a lot of plugins that do
difficult work for you. The antrun plugin is of course good for backward
compatibility, but I think there are better plugins if you just need to
copy a file. Search the mailing list archives for my previous posts on
that topic.

regard,

Stefan

david delbecq wrote:
> Hello,
>
> still in process of upgrading to maven2 here :)
>
> Most of the work is taking good shape, thanks to informations on this ML.
>
> I have a question regarding a few of our goals.
>
> We have, for a war project, added a few goals that quickly do a copy of
> a part of webapp to tomcat (instead of building war or even compile).
> This is a way to allow easy test of jsp / pictures / css. Just patch a
> life tomcat with new files. We do this with such a command in maven 1
>

> maven debug_deploy:jsp
> maven debug_deploy:resources
>
> those goals are just simple ant copy tasks in maven.xml.
>
> What would be the recommanded way to convert this. Should i create a
> custom plugin that adds those targets to maven2, and include plugin in
> pom.xml, or is there a way to add targets to pom.xml? Should i use the
> ant plugin, but then how do i link it to a target instead of a phase?

best regards,

Stefan Seidel
software developer
________________________
VUB Printmedia GmbH
Chopinstraße 4
D-04103 Leipzig
Germany
tel.    +49 (341) 9 60 50 07
fax.    +49 (341) 9 60 50 92
mail.   sseidel@vub.de
web.    www.vub.de

HRB Köln 24015
UStID DE 122 649 251
GF Dr. Achim Preuss Neudorf,
Dr. Christian Preuss Neudorf

RE: Adding "goals" to pom.xml

Posted by "Brian E. Fox" <br...@reply.infinity.nu>.
You can't create new "targets" in Maven2 without making a plugin. The
targets maven2 understands are either <phase> or <plugin:goal>