Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/05 23:45:21 UTC

[site] Staging Instructions Update

i've run into a few problems building and staging the main site as per
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/project/trunk/HOWTO.txt

whenever i run mvn -U -Plocal,parent clean install site:stage
-DstagingDirectory=/opt/development/workspace/james-site (for
example), maven copies the content into
people.apache.org/www/james.apache.org. anyone know how to get the
staging to work without moving the checked out source to that
location?

- robert

Re: [site] Staging Instructions Update

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 2:46 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:

>>> I applied a pluginManagement section to lock down the maven-site-plugin
>>> 2.0-beta5. Unfortunately beta6 and beta7 have the 2 issues above.
>>>
>>> I'm going to investigate on them and file bug reports against MSITE jira
>>> @
>>> codehaus, but locking to the old version is the easier solution now.
>>>
>>> Please let me know if this works for you,
>>
>> nope
>>
>> thanks for taking a look
>>
>> - robert
>
> Robert, I did another small change.
> I am able to run a:
> mvn -U -Plocal,parent clean package site:stage -DstagingDirectory=/tmp/stage
> -Dmaven.repo.local=/tmp/stage/m2
>
> (the -Dmaven.repo.local is to make sure I use a different local repository
> and the build doesn't depend on some artifact already installed in my
> default local repository).
>
> If you want I can easily update our website from the stage, instead if you
> prefer me to help you fixing your staging issue please tell me the output
> you get from maven when you run the command above.

i'm still having problems but it's not a big issue: i can easily copy
stuff over.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
> On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 1:17 PM, Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org> wrote:
>> Stefano Bagnara ha scritto:

>>> Well, I'm noticing a very weird behaviour, probably a critical bug, but
>>> I'm still investigating on it.
>>>
>>> The fact is that running mvn install from the project root runs a reactor
>>> build and install every module.
>>>
>>> The problem is that this results in a plain wrong
>>> james-project-1.3-SNAPSHOT-site.xml installed in the local repository. IN
>>> fact that site.xml is the one from james-parent and not the one for
>>> james-project. I really don't know how maven can do such a mistake, but I'm
>>> trying to understand.
>>>
>>> ATM what solved my issue is to manually build maven-skin and project
>>> modules by running maven from the 2 folders. At this point running maven
>>> from the main folder is no more needed.
>>>
>>> I already see another issue about the leftBanner image (not being
>>> overwritten in child modules), and this may be some incompatibility in some
>>> new site plugin.. investigating on this too!
>> I applied a pluginManagement section to lock down the maven-site-plugin to
>> 2.0-beta5. Unfortunately beta6 and beta7 have the 2 issues above.
>>
>> I'm going to investigate on them and file bug reports against MSITE jira @
>> codehaus, but locking to the old version is the easier solution now.
>>
>> Please let me know if this works for you,
>
> nope
>
> thanks for taking a look
>
> - robert

Robert, I did another small change.
I am able to run a:
mvn -U -Plocal,parent clean package site:stage
-DstagingDirectory=/tmp/stage -Dmaven.repo.local=/tmp/stage/m2

(the -Dmaven.repo.local is to make sure I use a different local
repository and the build doesn't depend on some artifact already
installed in my default local repository).

If you want I can easily update our website from the stage, instead if
you prefer me to help you fixing your staging issue please tell me the
output you get from maven when you run the command above.

FYI about the issues I found before I locked the site-plugin to
2.0-beta-5 here are the links:
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSITE-347
http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MSITE-348

Stefano

Re: [site] Staging Instructions Update

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.
Stefano Bagnara ha scritto:
> Stefano Bagnara ha scritto:
>> Robert Burrell Donkin ha scritto:
>>> i've run into a few problems building and staging the main site as per
>>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/james/project/trunk/HOWTO.txt
>>>
>>> whenever i run mvn -U -Plocal,parent clean install site:stage
>>> -DstagingDirectory=/opt/development/workspace/james-site (for
>>> example), maven copies the content into
>>> people.apache.org/www/james.apache.org. anyone know how to get the
>>> staging to work without moving the checked out source to that
>>> location?
>>
>> I don't see this behaviour. In the stagin directory I only see the
>> generated website.
>> No changes are done to the generated sources.
>>
>> BTW I just updated james-project to try myself and I saw that the site
>> generation is not working fine anymore... there are skin issues I'm
>> investigating.
>>
>> I'll report ASAP.
>
> Well, I'm noticing a very weird behaviour, probably a critical bug, but
> I'm still investigating on it.
>
> The fact is that running mvn install from the project root runs a
> reactor build and install every module.
>
> The problem is that this results in a plain wrong
> james-project-1.3-SNAPSHOT-site.xml installed in the local repository.
> IN fact that site.xml is the one from james-parent and not the one for
> james-project. I really don't know how maven can do such a mistake, but
> I'm trying to understand.
>
> ATM what solved my issue is to manually build maven-skin and project
> modules by running maven from the 2 folders. At this point running maven
> from the main folder is no more needed.
>
> I already see another issue about the leftBanner image (not being
> overwritten in child modules), and this may be some incompatibility in
> some new site plugin.. investigating on this too!

I applied a pluginManagement section to lock down the maven-site-plugin
to 2.0-beta5. Unfortunately beta6 and beta7 have the 2 issues above.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.

Posted by Stefano Bagnara <ap...@bago.org>.