Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by "Natarajan.T" <na...@crimsonlogic.co.in> on 2004/07/23 17:02:12 UTC

PDFBox problem.

FYI,

I am using PDFBox.jar  to Convert PDF to Text.

Problem is in the runtime its printing lot of object messages

How can I avoid this one??? How can I go with this one.

import java.io.InputStream;
import java.io.BufferedWriter;
import java.io.IOException;

import org.pdfbox.util.PDFTextStripper;
import org.pdfbox.pdfparser.PDFParser;
import org.pdfbox.pdmodel.PDDocument;
import org.pdfbox.pdmodel.PDDocumentInformation;

/**
 * @author natarajant
 *
 * TODO To change the template for this generated type comment go to
 * Window - Preferences - Java - Code Generation - Code and Comments  */
public class PDFConverter extends DocumentConverter{

      public PDFConverter() {
      }

       /**
        * This method will construct the Lucene document object from the
        * given information by extracting the text from PDF file.
        *
        * @param              reader and writer - InputStream
and BufferedWriter
        * @return             true or false i.e. extract the
text or not
        */
        public boolean extractText(InputStream  reader, BufferedWriter
writer) throws IOException{

             PDFParser parser = null;
             PDDocument pdDoc = null;
             PDFTextStripper stripper = null;
             String pdftext = "";
             String pdftitle = "";
             try {
             parser = new PDFParser(reader);
                   parser.parse();
                   pdDoc = parser.getPDDocument();

                   stripper = new PDFTextStripper();
                   pdftext = stripper.getText(pdDoc);

                   writer.write(pdftext +" ");

             PDDocumentInformation info =
pdDoc.getDocumentInformation();
                   pdftitle = info.getTitle();

       } catch(Exception err) {

                   System.out.println(err.getMessage());
            }
            writer.close();
            return true;
       }

}

Re: PDFBox problem.

Posted by Zilverline info <in...@zilverline.org>.
Natarajan.T wrote:

>FYI,
>
>I am using PDFBox.jar  to Convert PDF to Text.
>
>Problem is in the runtime its printing lot of object messages
>
>How can I avoid this one??? How can I go with this one.
>
>import java.io.InputStream;
>import java.io.BufferedWriter;
>import java.io.IOException;
>
>import org.pdfbox.util.PDFTextStripper;
>import org.pdfbox.pdfparser.PDFParser;
>import org.pdfbox.pdmodel.PDDocument;
>import org.pdfbox.pdmodel.PDDocumentInformation;
>

>/**
> * @author natarajant
> *
> * TODO To change the template for this generated type comment go to
> * Window - Preferences - Java - Code Generation - Code and Comments  */
>public class PDFConverter extends DocumentConverter{
>
>      public PDFConverter() {
>      }
>
>       /**
>        * This method will construct the Lucene document object from the
>        * given information by extracting the text from PDF file.
>        *
>        * @param              reader and writer - InputStream
>and BufferedWriter
>        * @return             true or false i.e. extract the
>text or not
>        */
>        public boolean extractText(InputStream  reader, BufferedWriter
>writer) throws IOException{
>
>             PDFParser parser = null;
>             PDDocument pdDoc = null;
>             PDFTextStripper stripper = null;
>             String pdftext = "";
>             String pdftitle = "";
>             try {
>             parser = new PDFParser(reader);
>                   parser.parse();
>                   pdDoc = parser.getPDDocument();
>
>                   stripper = new PDFTextStripper();
>                   pdftext = stripper.getText(pdDoc);
>
>                   writer.write(pdftext +" ");
>
>             PDDocumentInformation info =
>pdDoc.getDocumentInformation();
>                   pdftitle = info.getTitle();
>
>       } catch(Exception err) {
>
>                   System.out.println(err.getMessage());

change this to
 return false;

>            }
>            writer.close();
>            return true;
>       }

finally { // close all open resources }

Re: PDFBox problem.

Posted by Ben Litchfield <be...@csh.rit.edu>.

I usually use use -Dlog4j.configuration=log4j.xml when invoking java from
the command line, but I believe this depends on your environment.

ex

java -Dlog4j.configuration=log4j.xml org.pdfbox.ExtractText input.pdf

Ben

Re: PDFBox problem.

Posted by Christiaan Fluit <Ch...@aduna.biz>.

--