Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Bhuvan Rawal <bh...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/22 13:03:58 UTC

Slow nodetool response time

Hi,

We have been facing slowness in getting response from nodetool for any of
its subcommand. On the same version on AWS it responds really fast but on
local 1 node machine or local DC cluster it performs very slow.

On Local DC :
*$ time nodetool version*
ReleaseVersion: 3.0.3

real 0m*17.582s*
user 0m2.334s
sys 0m0.470s

On AWS:
*$ time nodetool version*
ReleaseVersion: 3.0.3

real 0m*1.084s*
user 0m1.772s
sys 0m0.363s

Any way by which its speed can be increased?

Thanks & Regards,
Bhuvan

Re: Slow nodetool response time

Posted by Bhuvan Rawal <bh...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for your reply Sebastian. We have a 3 node dev cluster setup on
local servers. I tried nodetool commands on all 3 of them and response time
was same (excess of 17 Seconds) and most in blocked state as you found out.
I tried fiddling out with /etc/hosts file and on adding the line:

<private-ip> <hostname>

This change Made the wait nearly minmal and has possibly resolved the
problem. I can share the response on the same machine for which I had
earlier shared (it was greater than 17 secs earlier)
$ time nodetool version
ReleaseVersion: 3.0.3

real 0m*1.197s*
user 0m1.963s
sys 0m0.284s

This is a bit puzzling as I checked and ping is working in sub millisecond
from host to self and other two servers, wondering where that time was
being spent earlier.

Thanks & Regards,
Bhuvan

Posted by Sebastian Estevez <se...@datastax.com>.