Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by André Cruz <an...@meteo.pt> on 2005/05/16 11:56:29 UTC

Tomcat banner

Hello!

Is there anyway to remove the tomcat banner that appears in the header
of all pages served by tomcat?

I don't want to disclose that information to my users.

Thanks.
André Cruz

Re: Tomcat banner

Posted by Jon Wingfield <jo...@mkodo.com>.
The ability to change the Server header in a filter depends on the
connector. The Coyote connector uses the response.addHeader(..., ...)
variant so you get your custom header AND coyote's:

HTTP/1.1 304 Not Modified
Server: IMP/4.1
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 08:54:10 GMT
Server: Apache-Coyote/1.1

A custom Valve may be able to correct this, the RequestDumperValve log
shows both values, because it can execute late enough in the response chain.

In production we have Apache in front of Tomcat connected using mod_jk2
and the client never sees our custom header. I haven't yet looked into
whether the final setting of the header occurs on the apache side or on
the tomcat side. (I'm assuming it's the Apache side.)

Jon

Re: Tomcat banner

Posted by Jason Bainbridge <jb...@gmail.com>.
On 5/16/05, Rick Beton <ri...@roke.co.uk> wrote:
> André Cruz wrote:
>
> >Hello!
> >
> >Is there anyway to remove the tomcat banner that appears in the header
> >of all pages served by tomcat?
> >
> >I don't want to disclose that information to my users.
> >

> The standard webapps (ROOT, manager, admin etc) include the Tomcat
> banner.  If it's also in your own webapp, then perhaps someone put it
> there.  That's where I'd suggest you need to have a look.

I think by banner the OP was referring to the HTTP Header for Server,
which I don't believe you can change without making changes to the
source or maybe a  filter would be able to change it?

Jason Bainbridge
http://kde.org - webmaster@kde.org
Personal Site - http://jasonbainbridge.com

Re: Tomcat banner

Posted by Rick Beton <ri...@roke.co.uk>.
André Cruz wrote:

>Hello!
>
>Is there anyway to remove the tomcat banner that appears in the header
>of all pages served by tomcat?
>
>I don't want to disclose that information to my users.

The standard webapps (ROOT, manager, admin etc) include the Tomcat
banner.  If it's also in your own webapp, then perhaps someone put it
there.  That's where I'd suggest you need to have a look.

Rick

Visit our website at www.roke.co.uk

Roke Manor Research Ltd, Roke Manor, Romsey, Hampshire SO51 0ZN, UK.

The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments is proprietary to
Roke Manor Research Ltd and must not be passed to any third party without
permission. This communication is for information only and shall not create or
change any contractual relationship.

Re: Tomcat banner

Posted by Peng Tuck Kwok <pe...@gmail.com>.
Don't recall seeing any headers appearing in the pages......which
pages are you refering to ?