Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Morris <Da...@plumcreek.com> on 2002/06/19 19:53:54 UTC

4.1 Connection Pool Change to commons-dbcp

I read recently that Tomcat 4.1 uses the commons-dbcp rather than
tyrex. How significant is that change? I am wondering what advantages
this offers and if it is more configurable. I may be missing something,
but
the tyrex/tomcat implementation doesn't appear to expose much of the
tyrex configuration options. The tyrex page at
http://tyrex.exolab.org/tomcat.html
implies that Tomcat's tyrex implementation is limited, is that the
reason
for the change?

Thanks,

David Morris

Re: 4.1 Connection Pool Change to commons-dbcp

Posted by Eddie Bush <ek...@swbell.net>.
>From what I understand (and I may be wrong - haven't bothered to look in a
while) development on the Tyrex implementation is pretty much dead - and has
been for quite some time.  Also - there are outstanding issues (sorry I
don't recall the details) with the Tyrex implementation.  I haven't used
Tomcat's pooling up to this point simply because it had used the Tyrex
implementation and I was made aware of bugs in it.

The DBCP package, from my understanding, is a very robust implementation -
and a very active project, from what I recall.  So - if/when issues crop up
with it, you can pretty well be sure that they will be addressed.  I don't
think you can say that for the Tyrex implementation =)

It's a good thing ;)  I wish they'd done it ages ago.

HTH,

Eddie

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>