Posted to dev@netbeans.apache.org by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com> on 2017/09/24 06:40:00 UTC

Modules review

Hello,

So thinking what is the current next steps, I thought one possibility would
be to go through our modules, fixing problems that we find (based on Rat
report, fox example), so that we can start the release process. So, there's
a wiki page listing modules (and directories) in the repository:
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/List+of+Modules+to+Review

There's also a draft of steps to do to check a module.

I tried to look at api.htmlui, libs.felix and libs.jna to see how that will
go - there are comments in the wiki above, and commits linked from the wiki
showing changes that seemed necessary.

So, I'd like to ask:
-mentors and others: does this seem like a good approach? Could you please
take a look at the page, comments for api.htmlui, libs.felix and libs.jna
and the three "pilot" commits (marked as "For review." in the wiki page) to
see if those look OK?
-others: anybody willing to help? There are almost 600 modules/directories
in the repository, so the more people will help, the sooner it will be
done. I suggest we start with "platform", and then continue with "ide",
"java", etc. (as that's the dependency order).

Comments/feedback are welcome!

Thanks,
     Jan

Re: Modules review

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Great, thanks.

Gj

Re: Modules review

Re: Modules review

Posted by Jan Lahoda <la...@gmail.com>.
Hi Emilian,

On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 10:41 AM, Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> @lahoda: I could help with some platform/ modules. Do I just pick
> something and update the wiki I'm working on it?

Yes, that was my intent. Thanks for your help!

> @geertjan: I don't believe there is such a requirement. *But*:
>
> 1. as part of the IP clearance process each external dependency will
> have to be looked at and having those in the official Maven repo might
> simplify things (automatic license check?) as well as have some
> certainty that you have the same binary and not something perhaps
> patched.

2.  hg.netbeans.org/binaries will go away in the future so why not
> start using it less and less? Once a corresponding Maven dependency is
> found it makes total sense to also switch to that.

To me, this is the main reason - unless we can keep our binary server up
(and I don't think we can), then using a standard binary repository seems
to be the best thing to do.

Jan

Re: Modules review

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
Great!

Yes, pick a few, add your name and start working through them like shown in
the ones Jan Lahoda did.

Agree with your other points.

Gj

Re: Modules review

Posted by Emilian Bold <em...@gmail.com>.

Re: Modules review

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Re: Modules review

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
On Mon, Sep 25, 2017 at 12:16 AM, Dave Schoorl <ds...@bkwi.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Reviewing my first module,

Excellent.

> I have 2 questions:
>
> 1. The module I am reviewing has a file under META-INF/services. What
> shall we do with those? Are they considered to contain some or be part of
> creativity? Handle them centrally?

Yes, I think that should be handled centrally, can be added to the top of
the file if it's not there under the list of file types for central
handling.

Plus, there's also a table on this page:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/NetBeans+Transition+Process

where you can see META-INF/services is already included, plus the question
whether these files have any degree of creativity. I don't believe they do.

> 2. I have used 'maven coordinates' in the external/binaries-list file. How
> can I check if it works correctly and they are indeed obtained from maven
> central?

If you build it, they should come.

> How do I know the filename will not differ when pulling it from maven
> central?

Not sure about that, Jan or someone who knows can jump in here.

Thanks,

Gj

Re: Modules review

Posted by Dave Schoorl <ds...@bkwi.nl>.
Hi,

Reviewing my first module, I have 2 questions:

1. The module I am reviewing has a file under META-INF/services. What shall we do with those? Are they considered to contain some or be part of creativity? Handle them centrally?

2. I have used 'maven coordinates' in the external/binaries-list file. How can I check if it works correctly and they are indeed obtained from maven central? How do I know the filename will not differ when pulling it from maven central?

Re: Modules review

Posted by Geertjan Wielenga <ge...@googlemail.com>.
On Sun, Sep 24, 2017 at 7:10 PM, Dave Schoorl <ds...@bkwi.nl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to help on the module review.

Awesome!

> I am interested in the Netbeans project, and I have been reading the
> dev-group for the last couple of months.  Taking into account that I have
> not developed netbeans platform applications nor Netbeans IDE modules, this
> seems like a good simple starter step for me.

Yes, indeed.

> My apache confluence account is dschoorl. If someone can grant me access
> to the wiki, I can introduce myself on the who is who page and put my name
> with the modules I am processing on the https://cwiki.apache.org/
> confluence/display/NETBEANS/List+of+Modules+to+Review page

Done. I have given 'dschoorl' the requested accees a few seconds agi.

> I guess I will have to make a Pull Request if changes are needed after a
> module review. Do I make one PR per module, or can multiple modules be
> combined in 1 commit? Also, do I need to sign a iCLA (individual
> contributor license agreement) or such, prior to making a PR?

A fork, just like jlahoda has done, of incubator-netbeans, would be the
best way to go. Make a push to your fork per module. Set the row in the to
"For review", with a link to your changes.

All of the above, exactly as done on the page, for api.htmlui, libs.felix,
and libs.jna:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/NETBEANS/List+of+Modules+to+Review

The starting point is to pick one or more rows in a table and put your name
there in the Name column, so that you don't end up working on something
that someone else is already working on.

Thanks and any questions at all are welcome.

Gj

Re: Modules review

Posted by Dave Schoorl <ds...@bkwi.nl>.
Hi,

I would like to help on the module review. I am interested in the Netbeans project, and I have been reading the dev-group for the last couple of months.  Taking into account that I have not developed netbeans platform applications nor Netbeans IDE modules, this seems like a good simple starter step for me.