Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by ru...@us.ibm.com on 2000/03/04 20:58:03 UTC

Unbundling copying support files from the javac task

At the moment, the javac task does two things: compiles java source files
and copies any other files it finds in the source directory into the
destination directory.

What this generally means is that my jar files tend to contain such
artifacts such as editor backup files.  And when run on projects which were
not initially designed to be used by ant, it will pick up readmes, jni
code, obsolete Makefiles and other junk.

What I would like to propose is that the function to copy support files be
removed from javac.  People who desire the current level of functionallity
could simply add a
   <copydir excludes="**/*.java">
task to their build.xml files

- Sam Ruby

Re: Unbundling copying support files from the javac task

Posted by James Duncan Davidson <ja...@eng.sun.com>.
> At the moment, the javac task does two things: compiles java source files
> and copies any other files it finds in the source directory into the
> destination directory.

Yeah, on reflection that might not have been quite the right thing since
usually .property and other resources that go into a jar are far and few
between. Heck, I think in the majority case, these files can be placed in
with simple copyfile tasks. In the more heavyweight case, a seperate
resource dir could be made that was clean.

+1

.duncan