Posted to user@cassandra.apache.org by Thibaut Britz <th...@trendiction.com> on 2012/08/10 15:11:10 UTC

Commit log + Data directory on same partition (software raid)

Hi,

Has anyone of you made some experience with software raid (raid 1,
mirroring 2 disks)?

Our workload is rather read based at the moment (Commit Log directory only
grows by 128MB every 2-3 minutes), while the second hd is under high load
due to the read requests to our cassandra cluster.

I was thinking about putting both the commit log and the data directory on
a software raid partition spanning over the two disks. Would this increase
the general read performance? In theory I could get twice the read
performance, but I don't know how the commit log will influence the read
performance on both disks?

Thanks,
Thibaut

Re: Commit log + Data directory on same partition (software raid)

Posted by Tom Duffield <to...@gmail.com>.
Having the both the commit log and data directory on the same volume is
generally not recommended. You would actually see a performance decrease
unless you can have most your reads be cache hits.

Posted by Thibaut Britz <th...@trendiction.com>.
Unfortunately ssd drives are no option at the moment. I have to use 2
regular hds. Has anyone tried above scenario?

THanks,
Thibaut

Posted by Radim Kolar <hs...@filez.com>.