Posted to java-dev@axis.apache.org by Glen Daniels <gl...@thoughtcraft.com> on 2007/05/24 22:41:34 UTC

Re: [Axis2] Doing cool things! (Re: Axis2 1.2 sanity check: Can generated POJO service/client handle 0-length array?)

Hi Dennis:

I for one am totally behind a 1.2.1 release, off the branch, as long as:

1) There is a CLEAR RELEASE PLAN (i.e. which JIRAs are going to be fixed
exactly)

2) No major new work happens on the branch, just bug fixes (and those
bug fixes must be reflected on the trunk so the JIRA can really be closed)

3) We do it SOON.

If we can easily fix the "badly broken" parts with a process like that,
let's do it!  Otherwise, let's push forward and get 1.3 into shape,
which will take a little longer but is essentially the same idea -
figure out what we want in the release, slowly coalesce the work on
trunk into shape, and then follow the release guidelines we agreed upon
(and which I still need to get up on the website!!).  And yes, then
there's 1.4 to look forward to! :)  Release early and often.

So let me ask you - do you think the current stuff on the 1.2 branch has
already resolved the "badly broken" parts enough to release it?  And if
not what particular JIRAs would you fix there?

--Glen

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
Dennis,

If someone is willing to take the lead, sure. taking into account
Glen's 3 points here. Could you please do a bit of research to
identify JIRA's to get us started?

thanks,
dims

Re: [Axis2] 1.2 ADB issues

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
Amila Suriarachchi wrote:

> On 5/26/07, *Dennis Sosnoski* <dms@sosnoski.com
> <ma...@sosnoski.com>> wrote:
>
>     ...the compile error in the generated stub for callback
>     classes when asynchronous is enabled (5-18 email):
>
>     http://marc.info/?t=117885569800001&r=1&w=2
>     <http://marc.info/?t=117885569800001&r=1&w=2>
>
>     Since asynchronous code generation is enabled by default this seems to
>     be an especially serious problem. If I get a chance today I'll add a
>     Jira for the callback issue, unless you've already fixed that.
>

> Please log a jira.
>
> Azeez  report me a similar bug and I just fixed it in trunk. There the
> promblem is
> the in callback handler I have not handle the response correctly with
> response unwrapping.

Yes, this is the same issue. I misstated it in this last email where I
said it was a compile-time error rather than a runtime exception. The
original email referenced above stated it correctly.

As for the rest of the issues, I personally believe that the number of
problems present in the 1.2 release would justify a 1.2.1 release. Axis2
is intended for use in enterprise software development, and IMHO
enterprise software requires a high degree of confidence in the
components. If there are significant known problems with easy solutions
in a release, I think these should be corrected in order to give both
new users and those moving up from a prior release the best possible
experience. But I accept that the majority of the Axis2 developers
consider the 1.2 problems minor, and will not push the issue further.

  - Dennis

Re: [Axis2] 1.2 ADB issues

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
On 5/26/07, Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com> wrote:

> Hi Amila,
>
> Changing the subject to match the content.
>
> From my personal experience there are the issues that we've already
> discussed, where as far as I can see unwrapping is badly broken. First
> there's the issue with multiple schemas in the WSDL which you said you'd
> fixed, and then the compile error in the generated stub for callback
> classes when asynchronous is enabled (5-18 email):
>
> http://marc.info/?t=117885569800001&r=1&w=2
>
> Since asynchronous code generation is enabled by default this seems to
> be an especially serious problem. If I get a chance today I'll add a
> Jira for the callback issue, unless you've already fixed that.

Please log a jira.

Azeez  report me a similar bug and I just fixed it in trunk. There the
promblem is
the in callback handler I have not handle the response correctly with
response unwrapping.

I also thought I've seen several other ADB fixes in the 1.2 branch, and
> several reports of other ADB features broken in 1.2. There don't appear
> to be a lot of Jiras open on these issues, but I do see this one that
> looks serious: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-2578
>
>   - Dennis
>
> --
> Dennis M. Sosnoski
> SOA and Web Services in Java
> Axis2 Training and Consulting
> http://www.sosnoski.com - http://www.sosnoski.co.nz
> Seattle, WA +1-425-939-0576 - Wellington, NZ +64-4-298-6117
>

> Amila Suriarachchi wrote:
> >
> > hi dennis,
> >
> > I was out of touch with the Axis2 last few days.
> >
> >     The worse part of 1.2 is the ADB support,
> >
> > Can you please tell, why you say like that?
> >
> >     which has several major problems. I think most of those have been
> >     addressed in the 1.2 branch.
> >
> > Can you please tell, what are those major problems?
> >

> > Perhaps the ADB developers can supply more details.
> >

> > --
> > Amila Suriarachchi,
> > WSO2 Inc.

Amila Suriarachchi,
WSO2 Inc.

Re: [Axis2] 1.2 ADB issues

Posted by Sanjiva Weerawarana <sa...@opensource.lk>.
Dennis Sosnoski wrote:
> Hi Amila,
>
> Changing the subject to match the content.
>
>  From my personal experience there are the issues that we've already
> discussed, where as far as I can see unwrapping is badly broken. First
> there's the issue with multiple schemas in the WSDL which you said you'd

The multiple schemas in a WSDL is hardly a common case! Of course it needs
to work right but if that didn't work that doesn't count as a major problem.

> fixed, and then the compile error in the generated stub for callback
> classes when asynchronous is enabled (5-18 email):
>
> http://marc.info/?t=117885569800001&r=1&w=2
>
> Since asynchronous code generation is enabled by default this seems to
> be an especially serious problem. If I get a chance today I'll add a
> Jira for the callback issue, unless you've already fixed that.
>
> I also thought I've seen several other ADB fixes in the 1.2 branch, and
> several reports of other ADB features broken in 1.2. There don't appear
> to be a lot of Jiras open on these issues, but I do see this one that
> looks serious: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-2578

+1 to fixing all these.

There's been a bunch of extensions committed to support sequences of
choices etc. but that's enhancements.

If users haven't raised issues then I'd say those are not serious issues.
We must of course fix all known pending problems ASAP! However, my
orientation is to do a 1.3 at this point and not 1.2.1 .. that'll allow us
to take all the new improvements out to users rather than just some more
bandaids.

Sanjiva.
--
Sanjiva Weerawarana, Ph.D.

Re: [Axis2] 1.2 ADB issues

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
hi dennis,

thanks for your reply. please see the online comments

On 5/26/07, Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com> wrote:

> Hi Amila,
>
> Changing the subject to match the content.
>
> From my personal experience there are the issues that we've already
> discussed, where as far as I can see unwrapping is badly broken. First
> there's the issue with multiple schemas in the WSDL which you said you'd
> fixed, and then the compile error in the generated stub for callback
> classes when asynchronous is enabled (5-18 email):
>
> http://marc.info/?t=117885569800001&r=1&w=2

I accept the fact that this is an ADB issue and I have fixed this in both
brach and trunk.
but response unwrapping was not there with the
Axis2 1.1.1. So you can not say it is as a broken feature.

Since asynchronous code generation is enabled by default this seems to
> be an especially serious problem. If I get a chance today I'll add a
> Jira for the callback issue, unless you've already fixed that.
>
> I also thought I've seen several other ADB fixes in the 1.2 branch, and
> several reports of other ADB features broken in 1.2. There don't appear
> to be a lot of Jiras open on these issues, but I do see this one that
> looks serious: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/AXIS2-2578

this issue has two parts one with xml beans and one with ADB. writing just a

":" when there is no prefix I have already fixed this in trunk. Again this
is also a bug in Axis2 1.1.1. So not a broken feature.

When we come from Axis2 1.1.1 to Axis2 1.2 we added new features
(simple type union,list,restriction and enumeration support) and fixed bugs
in
complex type extension, restrictions and did some performance improvements
(calling directly to serialize method).
 As a resut of this people can work with more
xsds than they could with Axis2 1.1.1. so it is normal to report more bugs.
But I have not
seen any broken feature.

Amila.

  - Dennis

> --
> Dennis M. Sosnoski
> SOA and Web Services in Java
> Axis2 Training and Consulting
> http://www.sosnoski.com - http://www.sosnoski.co.nz
> Seattle, WA +1-425-939-0576 - Wellington, NZ +64-4-298-6117
>

> Amila Suriarachchi wrote:
> >
> > hi dennis,
> >
> > I was out of touch with the Axis2 last few days.
> >
> >     The worse part of 1.2 is the ADB support,
> >
> > Can you please tell, why you say like that?
> >
> >     which has several major problems. I think most of those have been
> >     addressed in the 1.2 branch.
> >
> > Can you please tell, what are those major problems?
> >

> > Perhaps the ADB developers can supply more details.
> >

> > --
> > Amila Suriarachchi,
> > WSO2 Inc.

Amila Suriarachchi,
WSO2 Inc.

Re: [Axis2] 1.2 ADB issues

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
Hi Amila,

Changing the subject to match the content.

 From my personal experience there are the issues that we've already

Posted by Amila Suriarachchi <am...@gmail.com>.
hi dennis,

Posted by Dennis Sosnoski <dm...@sosnoski.com>.
Hi Glen,

The worse part of 1.2 is the ADB support, which has several major
problems. I think most of those have been addressed in the 1.2 branch.
Perhaps the ADB developers can supply more details.

The JAXB support was also pretty broken, and there again there have been
some fixes on the 1.2 branch.

I implemented a couple of fixes and enhancements for JiBX data binding
support, too, but that's not as much of an issue since JiBX users can
download the latest fixes at
http://www.sosnoski.com/jibx-wiki/space/axis2-jibx If we are going to do
an Axis2 1.2.1 release I will change the JiBX version to the latest
1.1.5 release.

Finally, the known changes that break existing user code (like the
module name as a string, rather than a qname) should all be listed on
the main document page.

Aside from that, now that we have a test build of Rampart we can
hopefully make sure that everything still works with Rampart plugged in.
Then I'd think we'd be ready for a 1.2.1 release.

  - Dennis