Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org> on 2020/04/15 20:39:09 UTC

Proposal to deprecate Maven 3.0.x

Some users still use Maven 3.0.5 and they require a support for
compatibility reasons between nowadays Maven plugins and the Maven
3.0.x.

We have a couple of reasons to deprecate this version (JSR-330,
Components injection, Logger) and we have discussed this issue in
https://github.com/apache/maven-surefire/pull/274

Let's discuss it.

Cheers
Tibor17

Re: Proposal to deprecate Maven 3.0.x

Posted by Sylwester Lachiewicz <sl...@gmail.com>.
+1
Definitely worth to implement change. Together with drop of Java 7.

Sylwester

śr., 15 kwi 2020, 22:39 użytkownik Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>

Posted by Enrico Olivelli <eo...@gmail.com>.
+1

Enrico

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Olivier Lamy <ol...@apache.org>.
+1

wrote:

> +100
>
> I would deprecate everything before the maven-resolver import back to the
> project while you are at it. Not sure exact version but 3.1x would
> definitely on that list as well. Maybe also 3.2x
>
> Manfred
>
> Tibor Digana wrote on 2020-04-15 13:39 (GMT -07:00):
>
> > Some users still use Maven 3.0.5 and they require a support for
> > compatibility reasons between nowadays Maven plugins and the Maven
> > 3.0.x.
> >
> > We have a couple of reasons to deprecate this version (JSR-330,
> > Components injection, Logger) and we have discussed this issue in
> > https://github.com/apache/maven-surefire/pull/274
> >
> > Let's discuss it.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Tibor17

Olivier Lamy

Re: Proposal to deprecate Maven 3.0.x

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Le jeudi 16 avril 2020, 13:01:31 CEST Elliotte Rusty Harold a écrit :
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 6:53 AM Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org> wrote:
> > I agree with Herve to start with deprecating 3.0.x.
> > And what sounds nice to me is producing the plugins with 3.1 as
> > minimum and clearing the old code and tests for 3.0.x.
> > This sounds like a plan for the community.
>
> I concur with this and feel like we actually made this decision
> already, though I'd have to dig through the archives to find the exact
> message.
perhaps we should write some statement somewhere on
https://maven.apache.org/developers/index.html

> What do we mean by "deprecating"? In Java world I think of deprecating
> as adding @Deprecated to a method or class, which doesn't work here.
> Are we talking about removing support for Maven 3.0.x in future work?
> That sounds good to me.
upgrading Maven Version Prerequisite for plugins to 3.1 instead of 3.0
https://builds.apache.org/view/M-R/view/Maven/job/dist-tool-plugin/site/dist-tool-prerequisites.html

> I'm still working on removing references to **Maven 2.x** and even 1.x
> from the website. Once that's done perhaps we can remove 3.0.x as
> well.
sure, cleanup at every level including documentation can be useful
thank you

Re: Proposal to deprecate Maven 3.0.x

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.
There should be a balance between the size of the community to support and the effort it requires to maintain the code.
Maven 3.1.0 broke the API because Aether classes ended up in a different package, so for plugins we had to introduce maven-artifact-transfer to support all M3 versions.
Maven 3.1.0 introduced JSR330 (@Inject) support.
Since then there have been no critical changes, improvements were mostly in the implementation.
For a Maven plugin there's no difference in the API between 3.1.0 and 3.6.3, but by requiring e.g 3.6.3 you'll reduce the size of the community.
From a technical point of view there's no reason to do this.
From a strategic point of view one could decide to push it to a higher version to motivate users to upgrade Maven.
IMO it should not be the plugins to enforce this. Plugins should require a newer version if they depend on a specific feature or change.

With the idea of largest community support for least amount of effort I'd go for 3.1.0

Robert

On 17-4-2020 03:06:53, Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com> wrote:
We nearly never backport fixes. Support just means that there is a chance it still works.. realistically we only support latest release..

Manfred

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com>.

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.
> [...]

> > means
> > >
> > > to me, support for Maven core releases not only means that we would
> > release
> > > security bugfix if security issues were found (very low probability),
> > but more
> > > that we do *extra efforts on plugins to be checked for compatibility*
> > >
> > > Maven 3.0.x costs efforts for plugins compatibility, because of the old
> > very
> > > specific API
> > > starting with 3.1.x, API is org.eclipse.aether.*: AFAIK, no complexity
> > to have
> > > plugins compatibility
> > >
> > > that's why "deprecating Maven 3.0.x" to me is a reasonable choice (lower
> > > community efforts with minimal users impact) that will concretely mean
> > "produce
> > > plugins with Maven 3.1 as minimum", cleaning old code and tests for 3.0.x

Cheers
Tibor

Re: Proposal to deprecate Maven 3.0.x

Posted by Robert Scholte <rf...@apache.org>.

Posted by Sylwester Lachiewicz <sl...@gmail.com>.

czw., 16 kwi 2020, 12:53 użytkownik Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.

elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: Proposal to deprecate Maven 3.0.x

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.
> [...]

> > > also 3.1.x, 3.2.x and 3.3.x
> > >
> > > details:
> > > "deprecate everything before the maven-resolver import" would mean
> > > deprecating up to 3.3.x [1]
> > >
> > > Given that maven-resolver has exactly the same API as Eclipse Aether (in
> > > org.eclipse.aether java package) but just a change in Maven coordinates
> > > (that are all filtered by Maven core class loading, then not really an
> > > issue), I'm not convinced this is absolutely necessary to go to that
> > > extend
> > >
> > > what is really useful is to deprecate anything that is not in
> > > org.eclipse.aether Java package, because it is a nightmare in terms of
> > > Java
> > > code compatibility: this means deprecating 3.0.x only [2], given the
> > > switch to Eclipse Aether has been done in 3.1.0 [3]
> > > And, for the record, the switch to Maven Artifact Resolver has been done

Cheers
Tibor

Re: Proposal to deprecate Maven 3.0.x

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

On 16.04.20 12:22, Hervé BOUTEMY wrote:
> we're back at defining what our community support on every Maven parts means
>
> to me, support for Maven core releases not only means that we would release
> security bugfix if security issues were found (very low probability), but more
> that we do *extra efforts on plugins to be checked for compatibility*
>
> Maven 3.0.x costs efforts for plugins compatibility, because of the old very
> specific API
> starting with 3.1.x, API is org.eclipse.aether.*: AFAIK, no complexity to have
> plugins compatibility
>
> that's why "deprecating Maven 3.0.x" to me is a reasonable choice (lower
> community efforts with minimal users impact) that will concretely mean "produce
> plugins with Maven 3.1 as minimum", cleaning old code and tests for 3.0.x
> compatibility

Yes that makes several parts easier...

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.
@Eric: no, it is the other way around, we must not abandon users of 5yo
versions IHO, we must pass it. it is not the case of 3.3 (it is exactly 5yo
and gap with 3.5 is 2 years, this is why i'd wait 1 more year to deprecate
3.3). That said in terms of impact for us, if you read the end of the
proposal it is the same for us: we ignore these versions for new plugin
versions. it is just not yet officially deprecated and we can have to do
maintenance releases on 3.3.

Romain Manni-Bucau

Posted by Eric Lilja <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Eric Lilja <mi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Romain Manni-Bucau <rm...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org>.
The Eclipse Aether looks like a strong argument.
If any user would open an issue to provide a fix on the top of Eclipse
Aether then we say 'no' already today in 3.7.0.
So the user has to switch to 3.5.0+ which would end up for him as the
same as deprecating 3.0.x - 3.3.x.
I know that it is a big extend, i understand that but this is
currently the outcome of my analysis.

I don't know what you think about this view.

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 8:52 AM Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:

> +1 to deprecate 3.0.x
>
> TLDR; no need to deprecate Eclipse Aether, which would mean deprecating also
> 3.1.x, 3.2.x and 3.3.x
>
> details:
> "deprecate everything before the maven-resolver import" would mean deprecating
> up to 3.3.x [1]
>
> Given that maven-resolver has exactly the same API as Eclipse Aether (in
> org.eclipse.aether java package) but just a change in Maven coordinates (that
> are all filtered by Maven core class loading, then not really an issue), I'm
> not convinced this is absolutely necessary to go to that extend
>
> what is really useful is to deprecate anything that is not in
> org.eclipse.aether Java package, because it is a nightmare in terms of Java
> code compatibility: this means deprecating 3.0.x only [2], given the switch to
> Eclipse Aether has been done in 3.1.0 [3]
> And, for the record, the switch to Maven Artifact Resolver has been done in
> 3.5.0 [4]
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> [1] https://maven.apache.org/ref/3.3.9/dependency-management.html
>
> [2] https://maven.apache.org/ref/3.0.5/dependency-management.html
>
> [3] https://maven.apache.org/ref/3.1.0/dependency-management.html
>
> [4] https://maven.apache.org/ref/3.5.0-alpha-1/dependency-management.html
>
> Le jeudi 16 avril 2020, 00:22:20 CEST Manfred Moser a écrit :
> > +100
> >
> > I would deprecate everything before the maven-resolver import back to the
> > project while you are at it. Not sure exact version but 3.1x would
> > definitely on that list as well. Maybe also 3.2x
> >
> > Manfred
> >
> > Tibor Digana wrote on 2020-04-15 13:39 (GMT -07:00):
> > > Some users still use Maven 3.0.5 and they require a support for
> > > compatibility reasons between nowadays Maven plugins and the Maven
> > > 3.0.x.
> > >
> > > We have a couple of reasons to deprecate this version (JSR-330,
> > > Components injection, Logger) and we have discussed this issue in
> > > https://github.com/apache/maven-surefire/pull/274
> > >
> > > Let's discuss it.
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > > Tibor17

Cheers
Tibor

Re: Proposal to deprecate Maven 3.0.x

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Le jeudi 16 avril 2020, 13:06:31 CEST Elliotte Rusty Harold a écrit :
> Have we documented anywhere exactly what's going on with aether? This
> was a huge stumbling block when I first started working with the
> Mavena and Aether code a couple of years ago. There was so much old
> and out of date contradictory information out there on different web
> sites, and no way I could figure out to tell which was the most up to
> date. I'm still not sure I understand which is right. I thought it was
> org.eclipse.aether:aether, but from this thread it sounds like we
> should be getting those from org.apache.maven.resolver:maven-resolver
> instead?
our target is https://maven.apache.org/resolver/
which means:
- Maven coordinates are org.apache.maven.resolver:maven-resolver-* (which
replace former org.eclipse.aether:aether-*)
- java API in the artifacts remain org.eclipse.aether, then no code
compatibility issue between code in different coordinates
see https://maven.apache.org/resolver/apidocs/index.html

and as described previously, Maven core filters out "old Aether" Maven
coordinates:
https://maven.apache.org/ref/3.6.3/maven-core/core-extensions.html
Then plugins should import org.eclipse.aether to provide best compatibility
starting with Maven 3.1.x (which did not know about Maven Resolver new
coordinates)

HTH

Hervé

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.
Have we documented anywhere exactly what's going on with aether? This
was a huge stumbling block when I first started working with the
Mavena and Aether code a couple of years ago. There was so much old
and out of date contradictory information out there on different web
sites, and no way I could figure out to tell which was the most up to
date. I'm still not sure I understand which is right. I thought it was
org.eclipse.aether:aether, but from this thread it sounds like we
should be getting those from org.apache.maven.resolver:maven-resolver
instead?

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020 at 2:52 AM Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr> wrote:

> +1 to deprecate 3.0.x
>
> TLDR; no need to deprecate Eclipse Aether, which would mean deprecating also
> 3.1.x, 3.2.x and 3.3.x
>
> details:
> "deprecate everything before the maven-resolver import" would mean deprecating
> up to 3.3.x [1]
>
> Given that maven-resolver has exactly the same API as Eclipse Aether (in
> org.eclipse.aether java package) but just a change in Maven coordinates (that
> are all filtered by Maven core class loading, then not really an issue), I'm
> not convinced this is absolutely necessary to go to that extend
>
> what is really useful is to deprecate anything that is not in
> org.eclipse.aether Java package, because it is a nightmare in terms of Java
> code compatibility: this means deprecating 3.0.x only [2], given the switch to
> Eclipse Aether has been done in 3.1.0 [3]
> And, for the record, the switch to Maven Artifact Resolver has been done in
> 3.5.0 [4]
>
> Regards,
>
> Hervé
>
> [1] https://maven.apache.org/ref/3.3.9/dependency-management.html
>
> [2] https://maven.apache.org/ref/3.0.5/dependency-management.html
>
> [3] https://maven.apache.org/ref/3.1.0/dependency-management.html
>
> [4] https://maven.apache.org/ref/3.5.0-alpha-1/dependency-management.html
>
> Le jeudi 16 avril 2020, 00:22:20 CEST Manfred Moser a écrit :
> > +100
> >
> > I would deprecate everything before the maven-resolver import back to the
> > project while you are at it. Not sure exact version but 3.1x would
> > definitely on that list as well. Maybe also 3.2x
> >
> > Manfred
> >
> > Tibor Digana wrote on 2020-04-15 13:39 (GMT -07:00):
> > > Some users still use Maven 3.0.5 and they require a support for
> > > compatibility reasons between nowadays Maven plugins and the Maven
> > > 3.0.x.
> > >
> > > We have a couple of reasons to deprecate this version (JSR-330,
> > > Components injection, Logger) and we have discussed this issue in
> > > https://github.com/apache/maven-surefire/pull/274
> > >
> > > Let's discuss it.
> > >
> > > Cheers
> > > Tibor17

Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: Proposal to deprecate Maven 3.0.x

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
+1 to deprecate 3.0.x

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com>.
+100

Posted by Karl Heinz Marbaise <kh...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

yes 3.0.X line mark deprecated.

Kind regards
Karl Heinz Marbaise

Posted by Elliotte Rusty Harold <el...@ibiblio.org>.
I think we've previously agreed to push the minimum version for
plugins to 3.1.0.

I've tried this in multiple plugins though and it is non-trivial;
definitely not as simple as setting mavenVersion to 3.1.0 or later.
There seem to be some complicated interdependencies between maven
core, org,sonatype.aether, org.eclipse, aether,
maven-plugin-testing-harness, and parts of plexus that all have to be
upgraded at the same time. Furthermore code changes in .java files are
also required, not just changes in pom.xml. I don't have a full
understanding of the issues, and as I said, I haven't successfully
upgraded a plugin to Maven 3.1 yet.

On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 4:39 PM Tibor Digana <ti...@apache.org> wrote:

> Some users still use Maven 3.0.5 and they require a support for
> compatibility reasons between nowadays Maven plugins and the Maven
> 3.0.x.
>
> We have a couple of reasons to deprecate this version (JSR-330,
> Components injection, Logger) and we have discussed this issue in
> https://github.com/apache/maven-surefire/pull/274
>
> Let's discuss it.
>
> Cheers
> Tibor17

Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo@ibiblio.org

Re: Proposal to deprecate Maven 3.0.x

Posted by Manfred Moser <ma...@simpligility.com>.
All features are already in Maven Resolver ..

We should deprecate  everything before 3.5.0 imho

Or if really necessary everything before 3.2.5

Posted by Gabriel Belingueres <be...@gmail.com>.