Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Brian Johnson <bj...@REALCOMMUNITIES.com> on 2000/08/01 01:58:29 UTC

RE: Advantages of Struts (Model 2 Framework) vs. JSP only approac h

Richard (et al?),

I'm very interested in using the struts framework, but one thing you
mentioned below is a bit disconcerting to me and I'd like to pick your brain
on this a little more if you don't mind?

You said:
--> Cons
--> - Removes ability for graphic designers to provide layout
--> of form in traditional tools such as DreamWeaver

- Is this because DreamWeaver doesn't have (robust?) support for ".tld"
files?
- Is this because DreamWeaver can't interpret the 'form' elements as tags
from a tag library and render them as html form elements for the designer?
- Is this because of some other reason?

I know DreamWeaver is extensible via JavaScript - Would providing an
"HTML-Form-Tag" <--> "Struts Tag Lib" conversion solve this issue?

I haven't started using struts, but I've been lurking about on this list for
a week now just to try and get a heads up to what is going on. I understand
that you use struts JSP tag library form tags within the JSP files to enable
the struts servlet to process (via beans, ejb) the form automatically then
to have a JSP render the resulting page. Am I basically close?

I appreciate the help and information.

Brian Johnson

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Eduardo Pelegri--Llopart wrote:

> Tools like DW ignore, but remember, tags that they do not understand,
> so, depending on the structure of the taglibs, it is very much possible
> to write very simple extensions to DW (in JavaScript) that will provide
> a very good page authoring experience while using tag libraries.
>
> A summer intern working with me is looking at this type of issues.  We
> should look at struts a bit more.  We are currently looking at DW, but
> GoLive-5 is a similar beast, and we have good contacts with both product
> groups, as well as with other vendors like WebGain, etc.
>
> We will give it a look and will report "soon".
>
>         - eduard/o

Besides these efforts, another development tool project called "Zefiro" is just
getting started, and one of the high priority goals is to have the tool be aware
of (and generate code and config files for) Struts.  Surf over to
<http://zefiro.sourceforge.net> for more information about Zefiro.

Craig McClanahan

Re: Advantages of Struts (Model 2 Framework) vs. JSP only approach

Posted by Eduardo Pelegri--Llopart <Ed...@eng.sun.com>.