Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Dan Peterson <dp...@google.com> on 2008/03/29 04:51:38 UTC

Shindig - Java dependency?

(kicking this over to a new thread)

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 6:59 PM, Aaron Cheung <aa...@acheung.com> wrote:

> Any suggestions or improvements?
> >

> Mightbe a little off topic -
> Can we remove the Java dependency going forward? It made the whole
> Shindig package unuseable -- because a lot of people don't like to use
> Java,
> while yes I know there're still a lot of Java fans.. but non-fans are far
> more.

Hey Aaron,

Have you see the PHP version of Shindig? Shindig itself is not intended to
be tied to a given language.

-Dan

Re: Shindig - Java dependency?

Posted by Alejandro Rivero <al...@gmail.com>.
2008/3/29, Dan Peterson <dp...@google.com>:
> (kicking this over to a new thread)
>
>  On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 6:59 PM, Aaron Cheung <aa...@acheung.com> wrote:
>
>  > Any suggestions or improvements?
>  > >
>  >
>  > Mightbe a little off topic -
>  > Can we remove the Java dependency going forward? It made the whole
>  > Shindig package unuseable -- because a lot of people don't like to use
>  > Java,
>  > while yes I know there're still a lot of Java fans.. but non-fans are far
>  > more.
>  >

>  Hey Aaron,
>
>  Have you see the PHP version of Shindig? Shindig itself is not intended to
>  be tied to a given language.

What I had hoped to see is a implementation of the opensocial sector
using exclusively the javascript feature and the RESTful protocol. I
conjecture it has been delayed because of the delays on the
specification of the REST protocol...

Alejandro

Re: Shindig - Java dependency?

Posted by Kevin Brown <et...@google.com>.
On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 9:08 PM, Aaron Cheung <aa...@acheung.com> wrote:

> That would be real nice.. have been under the impression that Shindig
> requires Java,
> perhaps due to historical impression from day 1 of Shindig... Thanks Dan..
> cheers!

Shindig doesn't require using Java any more than MySQL requires C. One
implementation of Shindig (the one that's further along at this point)
happens to be written in Java, but all interaction with your data occurs via
RPC calls and simple configuration. There are definitely non-Java
deployments using Shindig's java implementation today.

The goal of the java implementation is that anyone can use it without having
to know anything about java at all.

If you need tighter direct integration, there has been some very good
progress on the PHP implementation as well.

Re: Shindig - Java dependency?

Posted by Alejandro Rivero <al...@gmail.com>.
2008/3/29, Aaron Cheung <aa...@acheung.com>:
> That would be real nice.. have been under the impression that Shindig requires Java,
>  perhaps due to historical impression from day 1 of Shindig... Thanks Dan.. cheers!

Aaron, another trick is that you can hang some code down at the end of
the Java maven-jetty conundrum, and call any other webservice you
have.

example, to provide a person service

1) In shindig/java/gadgets/src/main/java/org/apache/shindig/social/opensocial/OpenSocialDataHandler.java
you change the basic service:

//import org.apache.shindig.social.samplecontainer.BasicPeopleService;
import org.apache.shindig.social.RemoteHttpContainer.BasicPeopleService;

2) create a new directory
j.../java/org/apache/shindig/social/RemoteHttpContainer

3) install a BasicPeople Service there. Actually I have an example
with two files,
BasicPeopleService.java  and XmlFileFetcher.java, because it is
inspired in the other sample, so BasicPeopleService is still the same
file except the headers

I am attaching the files as example, but note that the friend list is
not implemented (I will do it tomorrow). I do not know if this idea
could qualify for a patch, at least in order to provide a different
example of FileFetcher (non persistent).

Alejandro

Re: Shindig - Java dependency?

Posted by Aaron Cheung <aa...@acheung.com>.