Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by cm...@collab.net on 2002/07/18 21:26:28 UTC

Re: svn commit: rev 2581 - trunk/subversion/include trunk/subversion/libsvn_wc trunk/subversion/libsvn_subr trunk/subversion/libsvn_client

=?UTF-8?B?QnJhbmtvIMSMaWJlag==?= <br...@xbc.nu> writes:

> Greg Stein wrote:
>
> >Hmm. Maybe all of our svn_path_uri_* should be apr_uri_*, living in
> >apr-util.
> >
> >Thoughts?
> >

> Well of all the ... When I brought this up some time ago, you jumped up
> and down on me about the uncoolness of using a struct instead of a char*
> to represent URLs.
>
> But +1, I won't change my mind just to get even. :-)

Hm.  I've of two minds here.

1.  I think it would be a pain to have to tote around URL structures
    where a const char * works just fine.

2.  But, at least then we have a bit of type safety that will help to
    keep up in line.

My former mind is currently beating the snot out of my latter one,
though.  *shrug*

Posted by Branko Čibej <br...@xbc.nu>.
cmpilato@collab.net wrote:

>=?UTF-8?B?QnJhbmtvIMSMaWJlag==?= <br...@xbc.nu> writes:
>

>>Greg Stein wrote:
>>

>>>Hmm. Maybe all of our svn_path_uri_* should be apr_uri_*, living in
>>>apr-util.
>>>
>>>Thoughts?
>>>

>>Well of all the ... When I brought this up some time ago, you jumped up
>>and down on me about the uncoolness of using a struct instead of a char*
>>to represent URLs.
>>
>>But +1, I won't change my mind just to get even. :-)
>>

>Hm.  I've of two minds here.
>
>1.  I think it would be a pain to have to tote around URL structures
>    where a const char * works just fine.
>
>2.  But, at least then we have a bit of type safety that will help to
>    keep up in line.
>
>My former mind is currently beating the snot out of my latter one,
>though.  *shrug*

What I like about apr_uri_parse:

    * It supports all sorts of URL syntax, including
          http://user:passwd@host:port/path
      which we don't support now
    * It makes all the fields of the URL easily available, with defaults

What I hate about apr_uri_parse:

    * It doesn't handle file:// URLs correctly on Windows (something
      Subversion does now, thanks to yours truly), but that can be fixed.
    * The type safety it provides doesn't help where a function can
      accept either a local path or an URL.

If the second hate-point can be resolved, I'm all for moving to struct
pr_uri.

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> writes:

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 04:26:28PM -0500, cmpilato@collab.net wrote:
> > Hm.  I've of two minds here.
> >
> > 1.  I think it would be a pain to have to tote around URL structures
> >     where a const char * works just fine.
>
> Dunno why Branko thought I was talking about structures, but speaking on the
> topic... yes: your comment here is exactly why I'm not hippity-hoppity about
> using structures.

And [Greg] said, "Who told thee that thou wast [supposed to use
structs]? Hast thou [smoked] of the [crack], whereof I commanded thee that
thou shouldest not [smoke]?"

And the [Mike] said, "The [Branko] whom thou gavest to [code] with me, [he]
gave me of the [struct crack], and I did [smoke]."

And unto [Mike] [Greg] said, "Because thou hast hearkened unto the
voice of thy [Branko], and hast [smoked] of the [struct crack] of
which I commanded thee, saying, `Thou shalt not [smoke] it': cursed is
the [Subversion] for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou [debug in] of it
all the days of thy life;"

-- Silliness 3:11-12,17

May the [Greg] delight in the reading of his [paraphrased] words.

Posted by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>.
On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 04:26:28PM -0500, cmpilato@collab.net wrote:
> Hm.  I've of two minds here.
>
> 1.  I think it would be a pain to have to tote around URL structures
>     where a const char * works just fine.

Dunno why Branko thought I was talking about structures, but speaking on the
topic... yes: your comment here is exactly why I'm not hippity-hoppity about
using structures.

Cheers,
-g

--