Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2014/06/25 18:33:25 UTC

[VOTE] Release HttpComponents Client 4.4-alpha1 based on RC1

Please vote on releasing these packages as HttpComponents Client
4.4-alpha1. The vote is open for the at least 72 hours, and only votes
from HttpComponents PMC members are binding. The vote passes if at least
three binding +1 votes are cast and there are more +1 than -1 votes.

Packages:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/httpcomponents/httpclient-4.4-alpha1-RC1
revision 5675

Release notes:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/httpcomponents/httpclient-4.4-alpha1-RC1/RELEASE_NOTES-4.4.x.txt

Maven artefacts:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachehttpcomponents-1012/org/apache/httpcomponents/

SVN tag:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpcomponents/httpclient/tags/4.4-alpha1-RC1
revision 1605416

Re: [VOTE] Release HttpComponents Client 4.4-alpha1 based on RC1

Posted by "Asankha C. Perera" <as...@apache.org>.
On 06/25/2014 10:03 PM, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:

> Vote: HttpComponents Client 4.4-alpha1 release
> [X] +1 Release the packages as HttpComponents Client 4.4-alpha1.
> [ ] -1 I am against releasing the packages (must include a reason).
thanks
asankha

--
Asankha C. Perera
AdroitLogic, http://adroitlogic.org

http://esbmagic.blogspot.com

Re: [VOTE] Release HttpComponents Client 4.4-alpha1 based on RC1

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@ok2consulting.com>.
On Fri, 2014-06-27 at 09:45 -0400, Gary Gregory wrote:
> Not surprising but just noting that "mvn javadoc:aggregate" does not work
> on Java 8.
>
> Gary

There was a whole bunch of commits related to Javadoc fixes for Java 8.
I thought you were working on it.

Oleg

Re: [VOTE] Release HttpComponents Client 4.4-alpha1 based on RC1

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

<http://www.manning.com/bauer3/>
Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: [VOTE] Release HttpComponents Client 4.4-alpha1 based on RC1

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2014-06-29 at 19:07 +0100, sebb wrote:
> On 29 June 2014 17:31, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> >> As I wrote previously, RAT and Clirr are important parts of the
> >> release vote process.
> >> So yes of course the reviewers can and should run the checks themselves.
> >> This applies to the RM as well.
> >>
> >> But I think it is important to document that these checks have been
> >> done by providing the links in the release vote e-mail.
> >>

> > Links to what?
>
> The reports.

What reports? Hosted where?

> > As I said previously it is irrelevant what kind of reports are published
> > by RM as there is no reliable way that they match the source.
>
> I already wrote, the reviewers can still run their own checks, as the RM must.
> Including the reports in the RC VOTE shows that these items have been
> considered.

As I already pointed out any content produced or referred by RM is
irrelevant if it is not a part of source tarball. You simply insist on
RM doing pointless and useless work. If a reviewer considers Clirr
reports important for the vote he/she must generate them from source.

> > And I do not see two issues here. I see one and only issue here which
> > whether or not the source tarball being voted upon can be used to build
> > binary artifacts meeting specific requirements. Binary artifacts built
> > by RM are merely convenience.
>
> Yes, they are merely convenience, but as I already wrote, they are
> distributions of software by the ASF.
> And so are subject to rules on content and NOTICE and LICENSE etc.
>
> It is important that the binaries are subject to at least some scrutiny.
> For example, suppose a product depends on an LGPL dependency (this is
> allowed under some circumstances.)
> However, the dependency must not be bundled with the binaries.
> So it is important that the reviewers are able to check the contents
> of the RC binaries.
>
> It does not really help if the reviewers check their own binaries, as
> those are not the ones that are going to be distributed.
> One might as well say that the reviewers should build their own source
> bundle and vote on that, rather than voting on the artifacts that are
> detailed in the RC vote.

As I already pointed out one should be checking the ability to produce
binary artifacts that meet required criteria from source tarball being
released rather than any particular binaries.

Oleg

Re: [VOTE] Release HttpComponents Client 4.4-alpha1 based on RC1

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 29 June 2014 17:31, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

>> > So, they can be and should be built from source.
>>
>> As I wrote previously, RAT and Clirr are important parts of the
>> release vote process.
>> So yes of course the reviewers can and should run the checks themselves.
>> This applies to the RM as well.
>>
>> But I think it is important to document that these checks have been
>> done by providing the links in the release vote e-mail.
>>

> Links to what?

The reports.

> As I said previously it is irrelevant what kind of reports are published
> by RM as there is no reliable way that they match the source.

I already wrote, the reviewers can still run their own checks, as the RM must.
Including the reports in the RC VOTE shows that these items have been
considered.

If the reviewer's copies of the reports don't agree with the linked
ones then that can be investigated.
Clirr reports in particular are open to some interpretation, so it is
important that the reviewers know what RM based any decisions on.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sun, 2014-06-29 at 14:24 +0100, sebb wrote:
> On 29 June 2014 12:55, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> >> There's also no way to be sure that the binaries agree with the source.
> >
> > And here we go. Voting on binary artifacts is equally stupid. The only
>
> Sorry, that was a bad analogy.
>
> But there are some aspects of binary artifacts that can - and should -
> be checked.
>
> For example, sigs, hashes, NOTICE and LICENSE.
> Ensuring that the binary artifacts don't contain bundled items that
> should not be present.
> Ensuring that jars have suitable MANIFEST entries

Which one should do by generating those binary artifacts from the
source.

> > thing we should be voting on is source tarball. But who cares? Playing
> > ASF police is just too much fun, isn't it?
>
> That was unnecessary.

I also see many things here as unnecessary.

Oleg

Re: [VOTE] Release HttpComponents Client 4.4-alpha1 based on RC1

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 28 June 2014 09:28, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Sat, 2014-06-28 at 00:24 +0100, sebb wrote:

>> > What's wrong with 'mvn clirr:check', which is a part of the release
>> > process anyway? One is welcome to add RAT maven plugin as well.
>>
>> My point is that these reports should be part of the RC VOTE.
>>

> Right, and 'mvn clirr:check' gives you exactly that report. Voting on
> some pre-generated report or website is _idiocy_ because there is no way
> of telling if those reports actually match the release artifacts voted
> upon.

There's also no way to be sure that the binaries agree with the source.
One has to assume that the RM is not being deliberately devious.

The point is that the RM has to run the RAT and Clirr reports, and
having them in the RC vote is a way of showing that for the e-mail
record.
The reviewers can also run the reports themselves.

I think the site should be present for future releases.

The site is not strictly part of the vote, but it contains some useful
reports, and it does no harm for the reviewers to scan the site for
any obvious errors.

>> > KEYS file is at its standard location [1] but I can put this url into
>>
>> I would say the standard location is
>>
>> http://www.apache.org/disk/<tlpname>/KEYS
>>
>> At least that is where most other TLPs seem to keep it.
>>
>> > the vote message template if you think it would add value.
>>
>> Please.
>>
>> Apart from the fact that the KEYS file is in a different place from
>> other projects, it is useful because:
>> - can copy/paste the mail contents easily
>> - it is a required part of the voting so should be documented in the mail
>>

> I can do that, but not for this release.

OK

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Speaking of reports. No matter what version of Maven I try, I get an NPE
running "mvn site:stage-deploy -DstagingSiteURL=file:///%HOME%/httpclient"

Thoughts?

Gary

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Why no site?

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Not showstoppers but should be fixed:

16 warnings
[WARNING] Javadoc Warnings
[WARNING] warning: [options] bootstrap class path not set in conjunction
with -source 1.6
[WARNING]
C:\temp\rc\httpcomponents-client-4.4-alpha1\httpclient\src\main\java\org\apache\http\client\methods\HttpRequestWrapper.java:130:
warning - @Since is an unknown tag -- same as a known tag except for case.
[WARNING]
C:\temp\rc\httpcomponents-client-4.4-alpha1\httpclient\src\main\java\org\apache\http\impl\conn\PoolingHttpClientConnectionManager.java:95:
warning - Tag @link: malformed:
"#PoolingHttpClientConnectionManager(HttpClientConnectionOp
erator, HttpConnectionFactory, long, TimeUnit))"
warning - Tag @link: reference not found:
#PoolingHttpClientConnectionManager(HttpClientCon
nectionOperator, HttpConnectionFactory, long, TimeUnit))
[WARNING]
C:\temp\rc\httpcomponents-client-4.4-alpha1\httpclient-win\src\main\java\org\apache\http\impl\auth\win\WindowsNegotiateScheme.java:215:
warning - Tag @see:illegal character: "58" in "
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows
/desktop/aa375506(v=vs.85).aspx"
warning - Tag @see:illegal character: "47" in "
warning - Tag @see:illegal character: "45" in "
warning - Tag @see:illegal character: "61" in "
warning - Tag @see: missing '#': "
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa37
5506(v=vs.85).aspx"
[WARNING]
C:\temp\rc\httpcomponents-client-4.4-alpha1\httpclient-win\src\main\java\org\apache\http\impl\auth\win\WindowsNegotiateScheme.java:215:
warning - Tag @see: can't find
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa37550
6(v=vs.85).aspx in org.apache.http.impl.auth.win.WindowsNegotiateScheme

Tested with:

Apache Maven 3.2.2 (45f7c06d68e745d05611f7fd14efb6594181933e;
2014-06-17T09:51:42-04:00)
Maven home: C:\Java\apache-maven-3.2.2
Java home: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.7.0_60\jre
Default locale: en_US, platform encoding: Cp1252
OS name: "windows 7", version: "6.1", arch: "amd64", family: "windows"

Posted by Francois-Xavier Bonnet <fr...@centraliens.net>.

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Posted by ant elder <an...@gmail.com>.
Well. Interesting discussions aside, i've had a look and give this a +1 to
release.

   ...ant