Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Peter <pc...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/22 16:07:01 UTC

Tomcat does not unpack WAR file (Tomcat 5.5.20)

Hi

When I drop a WAR file into the webapps folder on my dev machine -
running Tomcat 6.0.16 - Tomcat unpacks it on startup.

When I do the same on the production box - running Tomcat 5.5.20 -
nothing happens.

The WAR file that I am deploying is ROOT.war; there is a corresponding
ROOT.xml under conf\Catalina\localhost. (I'm not sure if those details
have any bearing on the problem - according to one archived post, there
may be a connection.)

On both machines, the <host> tags look identical:

      <Host name="localhost"  appBase="webapps"
            unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"

Any assistance would be appreciated. :)

Pete

--
Peter Cimring
Software Developer

"/"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
magic."/ - Arthur C. Clarke

Re: Tomcat does not unpack WAR file (Tomcat 5.5.20)

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Peter wrote:
> I may be going slightly off-topic for this thread, but I have 2
> questions regarding the ROOT.xml ROOT.xml fragment file...

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/config/context.html should provide
answers to your questions.

Mark

Re: Tomcat does not unpack WAR file (Tomcat 5.5.20)

Posted by "H. Hall" <hh...@reedyriver.com>.
Peter wrote:
> I may be going slightly off-topic for this thread, but I have 2
> questions regarding the ROOT.xml ROOT.xml fragment file...
>

> As a test, I removed ROOT.xml and tested the app behavior.
> Specifically, I performed these steps to remove the ROOT.xml fragment
> file:
>
> => I removed ROOT.xml from ...conf\Catalina\localhost.
>
> => I stopped Tomcat, deleted the 'work' folder and started Tomcat again.
>
> => I cleared all cookies from the client machine's web browser.
>

> The ROOT.xml file that I removed looked like this:
>
> <Context cookies="false" path="" debug="1"/>
>

> What puzzles me is this:
>

> 1. In order to map the ROOT web context to the root URI ('/'), I
> included the (path="") attribute in ROOT.xml.
>
> However, even after removing the ROOT.xml fragment file, the ROOT web
> app is still mapped to the root URI ('/') i.e. when I navigate to the
> server's root domain name, the ROOT wabapp is invoked.
>
> Was I mistaken in thinking that the (path="") attribute is required?
>

> 2. Similarly, I included the (cookies="false") attribute to enable URL
> rewriting for browsers that do not support cookies.
>
> However, even after removing the ROOT.xml fragment file, URL rewriting
> takes place - IF the web browser does not support cookies.
>
> Have I missed something - or does the (cookies="false") do something
> slightly different to what I thought?
I think so. cookies="true" determines if you want cookies to be used for
session identifier. If set to true, I believe that Tomcat will
automatically use URL rewrite if a browser does not accept cookies.

> Just to re-iterate, I am runningTomcat 5..5.20
>
> Thanks
> Pete
>
> Johnny Kewl wrote:
>>
>> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Peter" <pc...@gmail.com>

H. Hall
ReedyRiver Group LLC
http://www.reedyriver.com

Re: Tomcat does not unpack WAR file (Tomcat 5.5.20)

Posted by Peter <pc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Peter <pc...@gmail.com>.
Yes - they are. (as I stated in my original post)

Re: RE: Tomcat does not unpack WAR file (Tomcat 5.5.20)

Posted by sam wun <sw...@gmx.com>.
hi,

I m having the same problem.

the war file is not unpack.

I have found the following parameters are set in the server.xml file:

unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"

I have *deploy* a cat.war file to the following directory:

linux:~/tomcat/apache-tomcat-5.5.26/webapps # ls -l
total 78
drwxr-xr-x  11 root root   320 Aug 26 10:02 .
drwxr-xr-x  11 root root   376 Jul 31 04:27 ..
drwxr-xr-x   4 root root   312 Jul 31 04:25 ROOT
drwxr-xr-x  13 root root   432 Jul 31 04:26 admin
drwxr-xr-x   5 root root   120 Jan 29  2008 balancer
drwxr-xr-x   4 root root    96 Aug 26 10:02 cat
-rw-r--r--   1 root root 76716 Aug 26 10:02 cat.war
drwxr-xr-x  21 root root   592 Jul 22 07:44 jsp-examples
drwxr-xr-x   4 root root   272 Jul 31 04:13 manager
drwxr-xr-x   4 root root   320 Jul 22 07:44 servlets-examples
drwxr-xr-x  12 root root  1504 Jul 22 07:44 tomcat-docs
drwxr-xr-x   3 root root   168 Jul 22 07:44 webdav
linux:~/tomcat/apache-tomcat-5.5.26/webapps #

The directory *cat* is created by tomcat and the cat.war file is in the
directory as well. But inside cat/ directory contains only 2 folders:

linux:~/tomcat/apache-tomcat-5.5.26/webapps # cd cat
linux:~/tomcat/apache-tomcat-5.5.26/webapps/cat # ls -l
total 0
drwxr-xr-x   4 root root  96 Aug 26 10:02 .
drwxr-xr-x  11 root root 320 Aug 26 10:02 ..
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  80 Aug 26 10:02 META-INF
drwxr-xr-x   4 root root 120 Aug 26 10:02 WEB-INF

How to instruct tomcat to unpack this cat.war file as well?

Thanks

Sam

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.

http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/108588797/direct/01/

Re: Tomcat does not unpack WAR file (Tomcat 5.5.20)

Posted by Peter <pc...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Johnny

Posted by Peter <pc...@gmail.com>.
It turns out that the problem IS connected to the ROOT.xml file under
conf\Catalina\localhost.

As soon as I remove ROOT.xml, the ROOT.war unpacks.

This is what my ROOT.xml file looks like:

<Context cookies="false" path="" debug="1"/>

There has been some prior discussion around this topic. For example, see:

http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user&m=116107471021645&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=tomcat-user&m=116302992202121&w=2

Is this a known issue / 'bug' with Tomcat 5?

:)

Pete

Posted by Johnny Kewl <jo...@kewlstuff.co.za>.
> When I drop a WAR file into the webapps folder on my dev machine - running
> Tomcat 6.0.16 - Tomcat unpacks it on startup.
>
> When I do the same on the production box - running Tomcat 5.5.20 - nothing
> happens.
>
> The WAR file that I am deploying is ROOT.war; there is a corresponding
> ROOT.xml under conf\Catalina\localhost. (I'm not sure if those details
> have any bearing on the problem - according to one archived post, there
> may be a connection.)
>
> On both machines, the <host> tags look identical:
>
>      <Host name="localhost"  appBase="webapps"
>            unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
>            xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false">
>
> Any assistance would be appreciated. :)
>
> Pete
>
> --
> Peter Cimring
> Software Developer
> (: +972 52-545-9364
> *: pcimring@gmail.com

Pete, nothing comes to mind, you seem to have the bases covered...
One possibility is that the existing ROOT web ap is busy...
Maybe a thread running or something... TC will not start up the new guy, if
the old one cant let go..

possibly from the manager console /manager/html tell the old one to undeploy
first maybe...

Also just make sure from you dev environment that the ROOT context path is
""