Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com> on 2011/08/07 21:33:30 UTC

[DISCUSS] remove the commons-dbcp dependency from the Camel feature file

Hello all!

Claus figured out (and I have double checked it), that Camel has no
component which depends on commons-dbcp. I propose to remove the dependency
in the Camel feature file and add a note to the release notes.

When the user decide to use commons-dbcp (e.g. instead of c3po or the native
pooling capability of the database driver), then he has to add this
dependency to his own feature file (and can choose any version he wants). In
my opinion it's the same as with the database driver which must also be part
of the users feature file.

What do you think?

Best,
Christian

Re: [DISCUSS] remove the commons-dbcp dependency from the Camel feature file

Posted by Johan Edstrom <se...@gmail.com>.
Commons dbcp would need  a few hacks to provide monitoring, there
was talk on their devlists about it a while back

http://nicoulaj.github.com/commons-dbcp-jmx/

And

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DBCP-292

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Aug 12, 2011 at 11:59 PM, Christian Müller
<ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My comments inline.
>
> Best,
> Christian
>

>> Installing the commons-dbcp in karaf would be as easy as just doing a
>> osgi:install right?
>>
> Yes.
>

>> I would prefer if Karaf / SMX had some sort of jdbc features you could
>> install and leverage out of the box. A bit similar to what you see in
>> JEE servers for setting up connection pools, and having management and
>> monitoring out of the box. AFAIR there is no such service. And thus
>> people have to rely on commons-dbcp or other connection pooling. But
>> then they have a bit hazzle to monitor and manage that at runtime.
>>
> Yeah, this would be an interesting feature (monitoring the pool size and so
> on at runtime...). But I think this needs a bit more work...
>

>> If Karaf / SMX had such a jdbc feature then I would be +1 for removing
>> it from the Camel features files. I wonder if any existing users rely
>> on the commons-dbcp and thus in case of an upgrade would hit any
>> trouble? I guess not everyone would read release notes / upgrade
>> guides etc. But just go for it, and then hit an issue with
>> commons-dbcp not present anymore.
>>
> This means you are -1 for removing it right now (because Karaf/SMX doesn't
> have this feature right now)?

I am 0.5+ okay for removing it from the Camel features file.
If Karaf had such a jdbc feature out of the box, then I would be +1.

Its just that many people just do a feature:install camel-jdbc /
camel-jms / camel-xxx
And then many of the things they need is installed out of the box.

I just wonder how widespread the usage of the commons-dbcp is out there?
And if anyone uses any alternatives? For example I dont recall I have
seen anyone use eg c3po in production.

Posted by Christian Müller <ch...@gmail.com>.
My comments inline.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.