Posted to j-dev@xerces.apache.org by Michael Duffy <du...@yahoo.com> on 2001/03/13 20:08:15 UTC

Default values for base types

I'm using Xerces 1.3.0 on W2K with JDK1.3.  I've got
schema validation turned on, and I've written an
ErrorHandler that reports warnings, errors, and fatal
errors.

My XML stream uses the base types - xsd:unsignedInt,
xsd:positiveInteger, and xsd:boolean.

When I pass in a stream containing empty tags, my
ErrorHandler logs a message saying that the base type
tags are "not of type decimal".  If I substitute 0, 1,
and false for the empty tag the errors go away.

Does using the base types preclude empty tags?  It
would appear so.  Is this the intended behavior?
Thanks - MOD