Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Alexandre Chapellon <al...@mana.pf> on 2010/07/16 02:55:32 UTC

thanks to thinking people.

Hi all,

Few months ago I asked this list if using SA on outgoing smtp was a good
idea (Thread: SA on outgoing SMTP).
This thread quickly  moved to "Block direct port 25 for non-mta users!
I was really afraid  of doing so and didn't really wanted to go this
way.
now about 6 months later I have to say: I was a fool! Today.
After spending some time trying to find a more user-friendly way to
clean up the mess around here, I came to the conclusion that port 25
blocking on the bound of my network was inevitable.
Today it's done, and I have followed few others advices given on list. I
wanted to testify the benfits of good designed network for thoose who
like me are afrais of annying customer with security (even more blocking
port 25 on the limits of the network is not really annoying for most of
customers).

Thanks to  Ted Mittelstaedt, Matus UHLAR, Martin Gregorie, with your
help dudes, all I have to care about now is my mailservers
configuration!

--
Alexandre Chapellon <al...@mana.pf>
Mana SAS

Re: thanks to thinking people.

Posted by Ted Mittelstaedt <te...@ipinc.net>.
Great!

1 down, 19,587,294,872,875 more admins to go!   ;-)

Ted

Posted by Toni Mueller <su...@oeko.net>.
Hi,

On Mon, 19.07.2010 at 09:43:20 -0600, Brian Godette <bg...@idcomm.com> wrote:
> I hope you realize you still need to deal with the issues of users
> with weak/guessable passwords and phishing of account info as well
> as the newer bots that recover account info from Outlook/Outlook
> Express/Thunderbird.

this is true, BUT

> Blocking outbound 25 from the rest of your network, and disallowing
> submission to your MX on 25 from your network, does very little for
> keeping your own MX from sending spam which is what SA on outgoing
> SMTP would be for. It's great from a policy standpoint and contains
> the "simple" bots, but for keeping your outbound from MX clean, not
> so much.

this measure makes it much easier to track down the spammers in your
userbase, because the sent emails usually contain a header like

Then you only have to verify that the spam report is legit, and then
can simply block this user's account until they have cleaned their PC.

Running SA on outbound is still a necessity, though.

Kind regards,
--Toni++

Re: thanks to thinking people.

Posted by Alexandre Chapellon <al...@mana.pf>.
Sorry it was not directly for you, but more like a general post.

Posted by Brian Godette <bg...@idcomm.com>.
  On 7/20/2010 1:01 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> You are mistaken.  I'm a proponent of port 25 blocks.  What I
> am saying is that port 25 blocks work far better than attempting to
> spamfilter outbound mail.  It is the other guy who is arguing that
> spamfiltering outbound mail is better than port 25 blocks.
>
> Ted

  You need to actually read what I'm writing instead of skimming. The
subjects being discussed are outbound mail from your own MTA, not
joe-user's IP address, your own mail server's IP address. How internal
and/or authenticated users with an infection can cause your MTA to end
up on blacklists (especially trap fed) regardless of your rate based
tripwires/log scanning. And how dumb-bots nearly never send outbound (to
the rest of the world) through your MTA, only the smarter ones that can
use SMTP-AUTH usually do that. That all leads to needing something a bit
more than log scanning and rate limiting.

Again, blocking outbound 25 from everything but your own MTA is all well
and good for containing internal outbreaks from causing everyone else
grief, but it has little impact on keeping your own MTA clean.

Re: thanks to thinking people.

Posted by Ted Mittelstaedt <te...@ipinc.net>.

Posted by Alexandre Chapellon <al...@mana.pf>.

Posted by Ted Mittelstaedt <te...@ipinc.net>.

Posted by Brian Godette <bg...@idcomm.com>.
> [...]

> due to them using HTML or including a bad URL and if it was your server
> that tagged it spam, your going to be in a heap of trouble.  But if it's
> your customer's recipient's mailserver then that admin will be in the
> hotseat.  Sometimes even the spamassassin header addition, even if the
> outbound mail ISN'T marked as spam, will trigger a spamfilter.  There
> are a LOT of very ignorantly-put-together content scanning spamfilters
> out there.
>
> I've had lots of experience with the RBLs and I think that most people
> simply don't understand just how much spam you have to send to earn a
> spot on an RBL.  Sending a few thousand pieces of spam won't do it.
> It takes tens to hundreds of thousands of pieces for many hours to get
> RBLed

Actually a few hundred will do it, at least for spamcop, PSBL, yahoo,
comcast, roadrunner. It takes tens to hundreds and being unresponsive to

Posted by Brian Godette <bg...@idcomm.com>.
  On 7/22/2010 2:23 PM, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> On 7/22/2010 11:29 AM, Benny Pedersen wrote:
>> On tor 22 jul 2010 20:03:18 CEST, Charles Gregory wrote
>>> A forged sender looks no different than a legitimate sender. Postfix
>>> would have no way to be 'smart' about this (except for some instances
>>> of SPF fail, but then why 'bounce'? Why not reject?).
>>
>> and why not show logs ?
>>
>> bounces is newer external since postfix change sender to mailer-daemon
>> with will end in some mailbox local if it was sent from local ip, if it
>> sent remotely its just a reject that makes the remote mta do the bounce,
>> but it will be the same that happend remotely when it bounces
>>
>> if bounces go external then the mta is not configured correct, and it
>> can be other reasons it does bounce then just not used a reject
>>

> Nonsense.
>
> You have internal users.
>
> They are using auth-smtp.
>
> One of those "internal" users is running a laptop
>
> He takes laptop to starflucks and joins the wireless
>
> He sends mail through your server.
>
> How exactly does Postfix "know" that he is an "internal"
> user.
>
> Spammer in the wild sees a mail from your user with a
> senders address of "ilovecats@example.com" originating
> from your smtp-auth system
>
> Spammer in the wild guesses user is using a UID of
> "ilovecats" and a password of "pussy"
>
> Spammer in wild authenticates into your auth-smtp
> server and spams the world with a forged senders
> address.
>
> How exactly does Postfix "know" the difference between
> Spammer and the internal user on the laptop at Starflucks?
>
> The notion of "bouncing mail to inside users" is a joke.
>
> Ted

You don't BOUNCE you SMTP REJECT. No DSNs, no backscatter, and any FP
from a legit user ends up with a support call to the correct party. If
the outbound message does not exceed your SMTP REJECT level you let it
go out WITHOUT MODIFICATION, no markup, no nothing.

Re: thanks to thinking people.

Posted by Alexandre Chapellon <al...@mana.pf>.
Thanks Ted for that example i could not have wrote in english myself.

Posted by Ted Mittelstaedt <te...@ipinc.net>.

Re: [sa] Re: thanks to thinking people.

Posted by Charles Gregory <cg...@hwcn.org>.
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010, Benny Pedersen wrote:
> On tor 22 jul 2010 20:03:18 CEST, Charles Gregory wrote
>> A forged sender looks no different than a legitimate sender. Postfix would
>> have no way to be 'smart' about this (except for some instances of SPF
>> fail, but then why 'bounce'? Why not reject?).
>
> and why not show logs ?

Sorry. Not OP. Just noting that the opinion that postfix should be smart
enough to rewrite a forged sender just doesn't make sense.

> bounces is newer external since postfix change sender to mailer-daemon with
> will end in some mailbox local if it was sent from local ip....

???? Postfix doesn't change the sender. Mailer Daemon is the 'sender' for
all buonces. But it will be sent TO the original sender listed in the
'From' header. If postfix has generated the From header based on
transaction authentication, then a 'bounce' would indeed go back to the
originating mail account. But if you are merely going by IP, then the
'sender' that postfix tries to 'bounce' mail to will be the forged sender.
And postfix has no way to know it is forged....

- C

Re: thanks to thinking people.

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.

xpoint http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html

Re: thanks to thinking people.

Posted by Ted Mittelstaedt <te...@ipinc.net>.

On 7/22/2010 11:03 AM, Charles Gregory wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2010, Benny Pedersen wrote:
>> On ons 21 jul 2010 19:09:55 CEST, Alexandre Chapellon wrote
>>> You can have forged return-path and /or stollen credentials... in both
>>> cases you look like a backscatter source.
>> i belive postfix is smart to change forged sender to something that is
>> not fqdn before it bounce :)
>
> A forged sender looks no different than a legitimate sender. Postfix
> would have no way to be 'smart' about this (except for some instances of
> SPF fail, but then why 'bounce'? Why not reject?).

Wash your mouth out!  Didn't you know Postfix is God's Gift to Mail
Admins?  It can do ANYTHING.  Postfix is so smart that it can reach back
through the SMTP connection to the spammer and blow his computer
up!!!

Or so the Postfix bigots would have you believe.

Ted

Re: thanks to thinking people.

Posted by Charles Gregory <cg...@hwcn.org>.

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On ons 21 jul 2010 19:09:55 CEST, Alexandre Chapellon wrote
> You can have forged return-path and /or stollen credentials... in both
> cases you look like a backscatter source.

show logs

Posted by Alexandre Chapellon <al...@mana.pf>.

Posted by Charles Gregory <cg...@hwcn.org>.
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010, LuKreme wrote:
> We are talking about Checking OUTBOUND messages. It is perfectly ok to
> bounce internal messages.

Caveat: As long as proper care is taken to send the bounce to the
authenticated sender of the mail and NOT just lamely use the 'From'
header! Still prefer an SMTP reject over a bounce!

- C

Re: thanks to thinking people.

Posted by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com>.

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Tue, 20 Jul 2010, Alexandre Chapellon wrote:

> Le mardi 20 juillet 2010 à 14:40 -0600, LuKreme a écrit :
>
>> On Jul 20, 2010, at 12:16, Ted Mittelstaedt <te...@ipinc.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Exactly, meaning that if you run SA on outbound mail then there's no
>>> point at all unless you configure it to DELETE the outbound mail it
>>> thinks is spam - and if you do that your going to get shot by your
>>> users over the FPs.
>>
>> Well, no. If you do filter outbound and trigger on a spammy message,
>> you bounce it, not delete it.
>
> Bouncing spam?????? What a good way to become a backscatter source (in
> addition to spam)!
>
> Definately not to be done!

Bounce _internally_, on _outbound_ email.

  Today: the 41st anniversary of Apollo 11 landing on the Moon

Re: thanks to thinking people.

Posted by Alexandre Chapellon <al...@mana.pf>.

Posted by LuKreme <kr...@kreme.com>.

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

On 20.07.10 11:16, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> Exactly, meaning that if you run SA on outbound mail then there's no
> point at all unless you configure it to DELETE the outbound mail it
> thinks is spam - and if you do that your going to get shot by your users
> over the FPs.

I think that at this level by "outgoing email" we mean "email coming from
authenticated users". Such e-mail we can reject at smtp time so the users
will get proper error message.

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol.

Re: thanks to thinking people.

Posted by Ted Mittelstaedt <te...@ipinc.net>.

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Brian Godette <bg...@idcomm.com>.
  On 7/19/2010 4:01 PM, RW wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jul 2010 13:25:26 -0700
> Ted Mittelstaedt<te...@ipinc.net>  wrote:
>

>> It's been our experience that spam-scanning outbound mail causes a lot
>> more problems than setting up mailserver monitoring and being
>> responsive to it.  Sooner or later one of your customers is going to
>> call you and bitch because their mail ended up in their
>> coorespondents spam folder due to them using HTML or including a bad
>> URL and if it was your server that tagged it spam,
> What's the point of adding spam-filtering headers or markup to outgoing
> mail?
Indeed, the point would be to score and SMTP reject outbound over some score, anything under would be sent unmodified. If it's a FP your own user contacts you.

Re: thanks to thinking people.

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Ted Mittelstaedt <te...@ipinc.net>.

> [...]

bitch because their mail ended up in their coorespondents spam folder
due to them using HTML or including a bad URL and if it was your server
that tagged it spam, your going to be in a heap of trouble.  But if it's
your customer's recipient's mailserver then that admin will be in the
hotseat.  Sometimes even the spamassassin header addition, even if the
outbound mail ISN'T marked as spam, will trigger a spamfilter.  There
are a LOT of very ignorantly-put-together content scanning spamfilters
out there.

I've had lots of experience with the RBLs and I think that most people
simply don't understand just how much spam you have to send to earn a
spot on an RBL.  Sending a few thousand pieces of spam won't do it.  It
takes tens to hundreds of thousands of pieces for many hours to get
RBLed and if that kind of a spam run isn't setting off the alarms in

Posted by Brian Godette <bg...@idcomm.com>.

Posted by Ted Mittelstaedt <te...@ipinc.net>.

Posted by Matt <lm...@gmail.com>.
> Blocking outbound 25 from the rest of your network, and disallowing submission to your MX on 25 from your network
>, does very little for keeping your own MX from sending spam which is what SA on outgoing SMTP would be for.
> It's great from a policy standpoint and contains the "simple" bots, but for keeping your outbound from MX clean,
> not so much.

In Exim you can ratelimit SMTP connections like so:

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-current/doc/html/spec_html/ch40.html#SECTratelimiting

# Slow down fast senders; note the need to truncate $sender_rate
# at the decimal point.
warn ratelimit = 100 / 1h / per_rcpt / strict
    delay     = ${eval: ${sg{$sender_rate}{[.].*}{}} - \
                  $sender_rate_limit }s

Sure there are ways of doing this with other MTA's as well.

Since spam depends on many thousands of messages this effectively
limits the usefulness of your MTA for sending spam.  Must also limit
the number of connections per IP.  I also think this examples 100
recipients per hour is to low.

Matt

Re: thanks to thinking people.

Posted by Brian Godette <bg...@idcomm.com>.