Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Thomas Herre <th...@abosco.com> on 2004/11/11 08:56:35 UTC

[Fwd: Too Large XML Response?]

Hi all,

I'm new to this list, yet not new to Axis.
I would appreciate to hear your thoughts on the following:

We're using Axis/SOAP to connect our GUI Clients with a backend server.
Here's an example: A client wants to display a set of customers.
It requests them via SOAP RPC Call and gets a Collection of objects in
return,
which it can display in a JTable.
As you can imagine, the number of objects returned may easily exceed a
number of, let's say some thousands. That produces a very large XML SOAP
response, which is very hard to parse.
It takes about 80 seconds to finish such a request. I tracked the
problem down to find out that the
bottleneck seems to be on the client side, when deserializing the XML
data into Java objects.

I'm using Axis 1.2 RC 1 with Xerces 2.6.2. JDK is 1.4.2_05.
I'm running Client and Tomcat on the same machine for testing.

So, my question: Am I using Axis for something it is not intended or
should it be able to handle such large responses?

Thank you for your opionion and advice.

Cheers, Thomas