Posted to users@nifi.apache.org by Isha Lamboo <is...@virtualsciences.nl> on 2021/09/28 07:37:20 UTC

Converting NiFi templates to flowversions

Hi all,

I’m looking into migrating a template-based devops pipeline to NiFi Registry-based.

The current setup has finished flows being exported to templates and checked into a git repository branch where they can be merged into a release branch (in line with changes in the source or target applications).
The deployment script takes the templates, transforms the xml to insert correct environment variables and uploads to the target NiFi instance, where an admin replaces the flows manually.

The new setup will still use the git repo for synchronized releases, but now the deployment should be into the target environment’s NiFi Registry using the REST API and possibly calling the NiFi server to update the flow automatically.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to convert a flow template into the flowversion definition that NiFi registry needs, or do we need to start over by adding all flows to version control and then “getting” them from the REST API?

Kind regards,

Isha

RE: Converting NiFi templates to flowversions

Posted by Isha Lamboo <is...@virtualsciences.nl>.
Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the tip. We're still using an older NiFi and I hadn't seen that option. This gives me one more reason to upgrade, as it allows the devs to keep working in mostly the same way and commit only "Done" versions to the git repo while still committing any changes to the dev registry.

Regards,

Isha

Posted by Bryan Bende <bb...@gmail.com>.
Hello,